An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Documentary

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Amor vincit omnia

sorry for the confusion, I hope this clarifies things.  The LC I was so excited to see in the video  is a former phatmasser who entered the Dominicans of St joseph several years ago.  She is still with that community and seems to be doing very well.  As far as I know once she entered she has been in formation straight through until now.

The young woman in the video who entered St Ceclia's abbey and then returned home a few months later I dont know her at all and dont know where her story has led. 

Vee

How is LC? What is her religious name now?

Thank you to those who have lauded UK religious life programmes - very kind of you! I have to say though, that in my community this documentary got mixed reviews. Yes, there were good things and it wasn't sensationalised, but as I recall, we did wonder what footage had been edited out. For example, there was plenty of footage of Catherine dancing and modelling, but she was never shown praying or going to Mass except when she visited the convent. One of our candidates had met her a couple of times and felt that although she was as undecided and into partying as she was portrayed, she was also sincere about her faith, prayed, went to Mass and so on, and this didn't come across.

Also, when Clara and Catherine were talking about their reasons for wanting to enter they didn't talk about being in love with Jesus, or centring their lives in God or anything like that. In a way, we heard more about God and call from Clara's family than from Clara! It's a pity, because we felt viewers might not have understood just what strength of love and call would impel any young woman to go through the anguish of saying goodbye to her family and giving away all her treasured possessions to enter a monastery. Why would you, unless you were sure you'd found your pearl of great price? It felt such a pity none of this was said, as we felt it was a missed opportunity.

You make good points, Sister. I definitely agree on the first one. I wondered about that, too. She kind of reminded me of Eseni in the last American reality show about discerners. Only not so extreme.

On the second point, though, I wonder if the editors thought the women's decision to discern that life was enough. Your paragraph reminds me of when I was in Israel, living in Jerusalem, and spending most of my Shabbats in the West Bank territories. There was one family in particular that I stayed with a lot. One Friday night at dinner, the conversation turned to living in the territories and the kick-back that can engender when people go out to Israel proper to work. The man of the family said that he's heard many conversations pop up in his workplace over the years and people always voice their opinions directly and loudly (as Israelis are wont to do!). When I asked what he says in such situations, he said, "I don't say anything. Everyone knows I live here. That speaks for itself."

I often thought of that in my discernment, because one of the things I think is attractive about becoming a sister is that, when people start talking about God and faith and morality, your sitting there in habit speaks for itself. People know where you stand, and that you stand there firmly—with your whole life. That's a really beautiful and peaceful thing, IMO.

I'm not saying every discerner to a religious vocation has actually made God the center of her life. But I think that the editors of the video probably thought that's so. And so they let it "speak for itself".

Maybe?

TO EVERYONE: I had an idea after reading through the thread again. Why don't we write a letter/email to the producers of the show and thank them for a respectful treatment of discernment? Would y'all be up for that?

Vee

How is LC? What is her religious name now?

hey!

She is Sr Mary CathErine now, not to be confused with our Sr Mary CathArine :hehe:

how is she doing?  Really well it seems, two thumbs up in fact :like::like:

11659319_1630000067243233_27378461271309

:o)Katherine:o)

Wow! Such a great documentary! Showed the insights as to what actually happens during discernment with family, friends and the community.

Pax_et bonum

That was great! Thanks for sharing, sister!

yeah, I'm  trying to sneak back in after being gone forever

• 4 years later...

Clara did not return, internet searches reveals that she had become a teacher I am not sure if she is still currently teaching but she does have an active  Facebook page