An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fr. Barron appointed as Aux. Bishop of LA

Seven77

Credo in Deum

I'm busy lol

About to pray the Rosary.

Sounds like a good use of time.  If possible, pray for me.  

PhuturePriest

My only fear with this appointment is that he would be forced to discontinue his ministry, but he said in his statement that he will continue on with it.

In all, I am very excited with this appointment. A very good choice, and I have high hope that he will be a good bishop.

truthfinder

The bit I read about Bishop elect Dave O'Connell was a bit discouraging. He was quoted at one point as being in favour of women's ordination. Possible he was misquoted, to be fair. And he praised Mahony in his public statement, which I find to be distasteful and rather concerning.

Somehow I missed that he was also appointed: only thing I learnt from catholic-hierarchy.org was that he was born in Cork. I've certainly been hearing a lot less of Cdl. Mahony in the last year or so - and he's only got seven months left of being able to vote in a conclave. 

Ok- actually just read the catholic-hierarchy entries on the rest of the auxiliaries.  So there were three in total appointed as auxiliaries today for Los Angeles.  The others were all appointed between 11-14 years ago (with the eldest being appointed over twenty years ago).  So it seems that having 7 is a bit of an oddity.  I wonder if there are plans to move the older auxiliaries into different dioceses.  

I know we got into a tiff here last time Fr. Barron and universal salvation was mentioned, but I do hope that his teaching ministry continues, or at least that he get wide hearing in his diocese-elect.  I think he's very capable of getting the basics of the faith across and in a way that is inviting, and that's really what most people need who have drifted.need. 

Ok, so this raises a few questions for me.  Fr. Barron will make one of seven auxiliary bishops in Los Angeles.  He hadn't been a head of that seminary for that long either, so I guess they'll need someone to replace him there.  Does anyone know what the other auxiliaries are like? The others are all in their sixties, with one in his seventies.  I know Los Angeles has a lot of Catholics, so do the various bishop-tasks get divided up by the auxiliaries?

He's certainly got my prayers.

I don't know if the plan is to keep all seven or if that means there is some moving around yet to be done.  My guess is that they can and will use the additional help but it wouldn't surprise me if at least 1 or 2 end up getting moved.  

Currently, each of the auxiliary bishops of the diocese serve as bishops basically overseeing certain regions that the archdiocese (which is absolutely huge) is subdivided into.  Bishop Oscar Solis --San Pedro region.  Bishop Curry is further north (I think maybe Camarillo/Oxnard area...but maybe as north as Santa Barbara.  I don't remember)  and I have no idea which areas the other ones oversee because I haven't met those ones.  

But basically the archdiocese is ginormous with way too many people so it is split up into smaller areas.   Again, no clue if it will be subdivided further due to the numbers or if eventually people will get moved, or if these Bishops will be given new tasks and their roles will look different altogether.  

Edited by corban711

truthfinder

I don't know if the plan is to keep all seven or if that means there is some moving around yet to be done.  My guess is that they can and will use the additional help but it wouldn't surprise me if at least 1 or 2 end up getting moved.  

Currently, each of the auxiliary bishops of the diocese serve as bishops basically overseeing certain regions that the archdiocese (which is absolutely huge) is subdivided into.  Bishop Oscar Solis --San Pedro region.  Bishop Curry is further north (I think maybe Camarillo/Oxnard area...but maybe as north as Santa Barbara.  I don't remember)  and I have no idea which areas the other ones oversee because I haven't met those ones.  

But basically the archdiocese is ginormous with way too many people so it is split up into smaller areas.   Again, no clue if it will be subdivided further due to the numbers or if eventually people will get moved, or if these Bishops will be given new tasks and their roles will look different altogether.  

Thanks for this. Looking around, a somewhat comparable diocese would be Toronto - at least in terms of geographical area.  It has three auxiliaries, but half the number of Catholics, as well as general population.  So at this rate, it's about 1 bishop for just under every million Catholics.  (Geographically, though, these are nothing in size compared to the dioceses I grew up in: upward of 100,000 square kilometres). 

While I'm a bit sad for selfish reasons (maybe he won't be able to post videos that often) I'm really glad for his appointment… because he's much needed there. Just an observation––Father reminds me of Bishop Sheen for his innovative use of media, and it's interesting that the Pope wants him in LA, where, you know, Hollywood is…

Edited by Seven77

Credo in Deum

While I'm a bit sad for selfish reasons (maybe he won't be able to post videos that often) I'm really glad for his appointment… because he's much needed there. Just an observation––Father reminds me of Bishop Sheen for his innovative use of media, and it's interesting that the Pope wants him in LA, where, you know, Hollywood is…

Another reason he needs lots of prayers, since even Ven. Fulton Sheen admitted he struggled with temptations of pride because of his celebrity.   

Another reason he needs lots of prayers, since even Ven. Fulton Sheen admitted he struggled with temptations of pride because of his celebrity.   

I think that will go unspecified in my prayers for him :)

• 1 month later...