An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are there any self-sufficient communities?

Carson

A few try, but I doubt that any succeed 100%. Because that's never their goal - even if they grow a lot of their own food, raise sheep, have wind generated power on their property, they almost always also do outreach such as retreats, parish ministry, etc. So that incurs other costs.

But the communities (mostly monasteries) I know of who do something of the sort include:

1. Assumption Abbey (Benedictine) in Richardton, ND. http://www.assumptionabbey.com/ They farm. They used to raise cattle but I don't think they do any more.

2. Mount Savior (Benedictine) in upstate New York. http://www.msaviour.org/ They have apple orchards and raise sheep. I don't know what else.

3. The Benedictine monks and nuns in northwest Missouri (Conception Abbey for monks and Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in Clyde, MO) have wind generators on their land. They might have little vegetable gardens, but they don't farm.

4. The Trappists in Utah (http://www.holytrinityabbey.org/) raise cattle and hay, and they probably grow some of their own food, but they're in the process of closing.

There might be a few others, but only a few.

Kathleen777

If you are a mature woman, over 40 years old (exceptions may be made for under 40) you may be interested in our Franciscan religious community in the Diocese of Steubenville, The Family of Jacopa Association. We have a website but speaking on the telephone with us will give you all of the information that you may be seeking. We have beautiful grounds out in the country and a large monastery garden. We work with local nearby farmers who currently supply us with eggs and have been teaching us all kinds of sustainable farm methods that we hope to start as we continue to grow. We pray seven times a day, are Marian and Eucharistic. Some of us work outside of the Monastery part of the week. We will have our approvals as a Public Association of the Faithful very soon and have already received permission to have our Chapel, the reposition of the Blessed Sacrament and Holy Mass. Please call 740-314-4023 Pax et Bonum, Sr. Kathleen Marshall   http://www.familyjacopa.com/

TheresaThoma

I know the Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles have a farm as does Walburga Abbey (also benedictines).

Walburga Abbey is relatively self-sufficient due to the remote location. However they are not completely self sufficient. 

In general the benedictines (so also cisterciencers and trappists)

Especialy the abbey of regina laudis (they have a big farm, make cheese, ironwork, woodwork etc so you would come pretty far).

Another community with a big farm is the Fraternité de Tiberiade (www.tiberiade.be)

Carthusians also came to my mind, due to their very remote locations and hermit lifestyle.

But do keep in mind that in our modern day and age it is very very very very hard to be completely selfsufficient. As in, you might be able to handle food. But clothes (including the fabric), workingmaterial, medicin, etc. are more difficult. Also you will need to pay taxes and insurance, so you still would need money.

Very few can grow all and make eveything they need without any outside trade at all. In that sense, if that's what people mean by self sufficient, then I can't think of any. However, all communities have to be self sufficient in the sense they pay their own bills and debts (or have a superior house that will for them)

Plenty of houses, mostly monastics though, engage in farm work and manual labor of one sort or another though. Trappists would be a good example of that, usually farming and such like.  Some monastic houses (Benedictine etc) don't necessarily farm or grow anything, so it's worth doing a good amount of research.

MarysLittleFlower

Look for Benedictine communities as this is part of their Rule. 

That is interesting... If a Benedictine community is brand new and doesn't have their own place yet, is it assumed that eventually they would have a place where they can farm etc? I know of a new Benedictine community and they are trying to have the Latin Mass, so they aren't linked to another community and they don't have their own place yet.  They attend an FSSP church for Mass for now.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

As others have noted, being self-sufficient on the basis of agriculture has become increasingly difficult, even for communities whose tradition is based on it. One interesting contemporary example is the Orthodox monastery of Solan in France, which has received quite a lot of attention for their ecological farming methods. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much available about them in English, but there is an article here in French as well as

this video:

truthfinder

The Mendicant orders (Dominincans, Franciscans) will never be self-sufficient because that was not how they were founded to be.  Even the monastery's that are pretty close to self-sufficient may not entirely desire to be so.  To be self-sufficient is to tempt the idea that one doesn't need God.  So having a little extra needed every month/week, etc certainly reminds that it's all a grace from God.  

That is interesting... If a Benedictine community is brand new and doesn't have their own place yet, is it assumed that eventually they would have a place where they can farm etc? I know of a new Benedictine community and they are trying to have the Latin Mass, so they aren't linked to another community and they don't have their own place yet.  They attend an FSSP church for Mass for now.

No, Benedictines don't need to farm. They interpret manual labor in different ways. Some of them may simply engage in gardening, cooking or certain manual arts. This wouldn't necessarily take up alot of time if their main work is something like retreats, teaching or parish work.

TheresaThoma

That would be something you would have to ask them! Maybe they are planning on it and maybe not.