An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about Benedictines

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Thanks for the replies! Maybe the Benedictines of Mary borrow from the Rite of Consecration to demonstrate their spirituality, while they don't have the Consecration? I really don't know! One thing I wanted to ask really shows my ignorance of Benedictines... Are they cloistered?? Does it depend? Also... Regarding the Vow of Stability, does this mean all the nuns have to stay in that community and can't be transfered? But what if a branch of the community (a Priory?) needs to be started? I don't really know much about Benedictines because mostly I'm more familiar with Carmelites.. Thanks!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Just a short answer. Monastic consecration is simply that. One makes profession and is consecrated to live the monastic way of life. For the older orders (including OP's) the emphasis is on professing to live a whole way of life and all that means not just professing vows.  My profession of obedience to the prioress and Master (and God, and St. Dominic and our Lady! :-)) involves the way of life given to me as a Dominican. This includes but is more than poverty, chastity and obedience.

The bishop isn't necessary for the profession and in fact, for us, is a rather new thing. We invite him to emphasis our relationship with the Church but profession is received by the Prioress. Professions used to be held in the Chapter Hall just among the community. Carmelites (who borrowed a lot from OP's) did the same thing.

Our veil and ring are given to us by the priest or bishop as a sign that our way of life is a gift of the Church. But in point of fact, it could be given to us by the prioress and it is the prioress, not the bishop, who veils the Sister.

Borrowing and intermingling elements from various rituals has been going on from the very beginning of the Church. Sometimes there needs to be a 'rebalancing" but it's just part of the life of the Church.

. Carmelites (who borrowed a lot from OP's) did the same thing.

:|  now im curious what the other things are, and blame the OPs for any Carmelite I see wearing socks in sandals :P