An Old School Catholic Message Board

foundresses who had annulments / separation

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

In another thread, I remember there were mentioned foundresses who had annulments / canonical separation (when it was allowed for that reason). Does anyone have any info about any of them? :) I also remember St Rita was a widow when she became a nun and St Clare's mom joined the Poor Clare's. So there's a historical precedent for such things before modern times... But these are widows, what about those whose marriage was annulled or dissolved? I've never been married validly or invalidly but I'm just interested to learn about these women :) thank you!

Sister Leticia

This has links to the story of Cornelia Connelly, an American who founded the Society of the Holy Child in England in the mid 19th century. http://www.shcj.org/our-story/cornelia-connelly/

She and her husband were converts. He was an Episcopalian priest who wanted to become a Catholic priest, which meant they had to separate and it was decided it would be best if Cornelia entered a convent. She spent some time with my congregation before founding her own. Although she had never originally intended to become a religious she embraced her new vocation and lived it fully. However, her husband Pierce eventually decided to leave the priesthood and wanted Cornelia back with him as his wife, but she refused. He took her to court, but eventually lost the case. However, as the head of the family he was able to regain custody of their children (who were in boarding schools) and used this to block all contact between her and them.

It's a sad story, especially when you consider that now, with the Ordinariate, the Vatican allows married convert Anglican priests to be ordained as Catholic priests without having to separate from their wives - and that nowadays even if Pierce had been given custody he wouldn't have been able to stop from Cornelia seeing her children. But it's also a very interesting and inspiring story, as Cornelia stuck with what she strongly believed to be God's will for her and also stuck with her new Society despite many difficulties and setbacks.

veritasluxmea

Mother Luisita, foundress of the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, was a widow. Probably not what you're looking for, but still an interesting story. She wanted to enter the convent but her parents arranged a marriage for her at age 14, so she got married out of obedience. God worked it out for His glory. It's an amazing story. http://www.carmelitesistersocd.com/mother-luisita/

Mother Veronica Starr, foundress of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion, was divorced (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisters_of_the_Divine_Compassion). Mother Alphonsa Lathrop (Rose Hawthorne Lathrop), founder of the Dominicans Servants for Relief of Incurable Cancer and daughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne, was separated and perhaps divorced (her husband died before the community was founded). See: http://www.hawthorne-dominicans.org/  The foundress of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of LaCrosse, WI, was also divorced (not the same community as those in Mishiwaka, IN): https://www.fspa.org/ These are the ones who come to mind at the moment. I am not as familiar with non-US congregations (I would include Cornelia Connolly, as an American, though the community was founded in England). There are tons of widows....

So were the Franciscan Sisters of Tiffin, Ohio (and tons of others)--founded by widow and daughters. This is not at all uncommon. The divorced is less common, especially in the 19th Century and before.

Just Tuesday at Mass Father said that the founder of the Brigittines (the Swedish ones) had been married and had 20-something children. Her husband went to live in a monastery at some point and so she founded her order. I presume there was an annulment or something somewhere in there. Or maybe he died first. Not sure.

AveMariaPurissima

Mother Lillie, the foundress of the Trinitarians of Mary, has an annulment, if I recall correctly.

truthfinder

Just Tuesday at Mass Father said that the founder of the Brigittines (the Swedish ones) had been married and had 20-something children. Her husband went to live in a monastery at some point and so she founded her order. I presume there was an annulment or something somewhere in there. Or maybe he died first. Not sure.

Annulments typically weren't needed because of the understanding that one was 'upgrading' to the higher vocation. There would obviously be a permanent separation.

AveMariaPurissima

Mother Lillie, the foundress of the Trinitarians of Mary, has an annulment, if I recall correctly.

I can't seem to edit my post, so I'll add a couple more details/thoughts this way:

Some more details in an article I found:

Mother Lillie has a very interesting life story. She was born in 1951 in Nogales, Mexico but was raised in the US. She wanted to enter the convent at age 14 but her father, who was an atheist, would not allow her. Married at age 17, she has two daughters[*] and several grandchildren...She entered the Carmelite order in San Diego as an oblate after her marriage fell apart, then founded the congregation -- The Trinitarians of Mary -- after a momentous pilgrimage to Fatima in 1992.

[*] I actually think it's a daughter and a son, but I could be wrong.

One other thing: I posted this as an additional example in answer to MLF's question.  I feel compelled to add, however, that based on personal experience, I recommend caution with this community.

Rose Hawthorne Lathrop comes to mind, of the Hawthorne Dominicans.

Her husband had died by the time she founded the Hawthorne Dominicans, so she was technically a widow.  But it was an unhappy marriage and they had lived separately for many years before he died.

And it is very interesting to me that the congregation is the HAWTHORNE Dominicans, after the foundress's maiden name, when she was Mrs. Lathrop for most of her adult life.

Yes, Krissylou; I mentioned Lathrop above. They are the Hawthorne Dominicans because the village where their motherhouse is located was re-named Hawthorne, after the family.

Ancilla Domini

Who was the sister who ministered to the inmates of...some prison? I can't really remember which or what her name was. There was a book written either about her or by her - she just died recently. It might have been...Mother Antonia?

Anyhow, didn't she have a divorce (or a separation) or two? I don't really remember much about her.

truthfinder

Who was the sister who ministered to the inmates of...some prison? I can't really remember which or what her name was. There was a book written either about her or by her - she just died recently. It might have been...Mother Antonia?

Anyhow, didn't she have a divorce (or a separation) or two? I don't really remember much about her.

I don't know for sure about divorce (it certainly sounds like something I remember); her community was Eudists of the Eleventh Hour.  They are particularly for older women (although it's a very different life than a 'traditional' religious community).

Yes, Krissylou; I mentioned Lathrop above. They are the Hawthorne Dominicans because the village where their motherhouse is located was re-named Hawthorne, after the family.

You did indeed mention Lathrop!  My bad!

Another one would be Catherine de Hueck Doherty.  She didn't quite found a religious order, but close.  She was married very young (teenager) to Baron de Hueck in Russia.  Then the Russian Revolution happened, it wasn't such a good time to be nobility, they fled to Canada, it was really hard, the marriage did not survive.  They divorced/annulled.  She founded Friendship House (kinda similar to Catholic Worker, she and Dorothy Day were good friends) and eventually married Eddie Doherty.

Oh and Catherine de Hueck Doherty is currently a candidate for canonization.  I think her status is Servant of God.