An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I Went Out on the Town Tonight

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Today started pretty well by going to Paper Towns opening day, and then I went downtown in our nice little suburb with a few of the office people.

Coming from the Kansan perspective, seeing a flood of people not only walking around on sidewalks, but doing so at night, was nothing short of a shock to me. It's something I've only seen in movies, and it was a pretty cool atmosphere to be in. And by "cool atmosphere" I mean it was cool because I was surrounded by four friends, and if they had been absent I would have been terrified.

Moving on.

We went to laser tag in this inside maze, and that was a lot of fun. We went because I and a friend's wife had never done it, and it was a lot more fun than I had anticipated. Don't get me wrong, I sucked badly at it, but laser tag is more about the experience than the points. Unless of course you're the lunatic people we were going against who appeared as if they did it every night and took it way too seriously.

But I digress.

I've had one article posted, and tomorrow my commentary on Louis de Montfort's consecration days 13-19 will be posted followed by my article on the physical health dangers of homosexual acts, and then soon I'm posting three articles on six of the Catholic Republican candidates, wherein I rate their record in light of the five non-negotiables and basically conclude that all of them are bad and Catholics in America are screwed.

I've got super exciting field work we're doing soon that I'll tell you about when I'm allowed to.

Writing for news is a very interesting business. It is not at all what I expected and is not nearly as fun as writing novels or commentary. I sometimes question the purpose and feel like my days are wasted and that I'm not accomplishing anything of worth, but then I remember that if I weren't here I'd be back at home wasting my days away on the internet, so at least I'm accomplishing goals in my day. If nothing else I've already learned a lot about myself in the three weeks that I've been here, so that's been worth it. I'm trying not to think about the fact that I have many months more to go and I'm trying to take it by the day and week, otherwise I'd have a panic attack.

I'm going to DC on the second weekend of August with a few friends so we can do our Marian consecration on the Feast of the Assumption, and then we're going to the Holocaust Museum and seeing the regular sites. I've never been to DC or the east coast in general so I'm pumped.

We're reading tons of books, and we don't get to do much after work because of it. Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott is every bit as boring and dense as I feared, but Life of Christ and Triumph do not disappoint, so it balances out. I finished Revolution and Counter-Revolution today, which made me really happy because it's a pretty boring read.

In all things are going generally well. This week I did an official photo shoot, and this is the end result:

1610969_971484559539050_2700688048734731

Coming here has also taught me how to handle living with difficult people emotionally and in terms of fixing it, and I have mastered the art of prudently keeping my tongue silent when others are unfairly criticizing people I deeply admire (i.e. not pointing out that Father Barron isn't a liberal heretic because it's not worth the debate.)

PhuturePriest

Waking up every day at seven is completely alarming, mostly because it's no longer a big deal to me. When did that happen? It's 1:46 and I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. This shouldn't happen. Waking up early and feeling tired after eleven happens to old people, not people young enough to go to the new John Green movie and not look creepy.

I'm going to DC on the second weekend of August with a few friends so we can do our Marian consecration on the Feast of the Assumption, and then we're going to the Holocaust Museum and seeing the regular sites. I've never been to DC or the east coast in general so I am pumped.

You will find lots to see and do in DC.  I love that city, and I've visited major cities in this country and Europe.  DC compares well in its monuments and sites.  I chaparoned my daughter's class one summer. She attended Catholic parochial school and we had students participate by laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as well as visit the Holocaust Museum. Very moving. 

You will likely be surprised at the constant references to God in almost every Monument. Politics are what they are, but patriotism and nationalism at its best is sharing a common identity, black,red,white, brown, rich, middle-class, poor, freshly naturalized citizen, or tenth generation American.  I promise if you look for that, you will find it.  

There are many monuments to see. Pick one and geek out but reading a lot about it beforehand and spending a couple of hours seeing all aspects of it.  A lot of effort and thought goes into conveying more than a superficial comment on the person.  

PhuturePriest

You will find lots to see and do in DC.  I love that city, and I've visited major cities in this country and Europe.  DC compares well in its monuments and sites.  I chaparoned my daughter's class one summer. She attended Catholic parochial school and we had students participate by laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as well as visit the Holocaust Museum. Very moving. 

You will likely be surprised at the constant references to God in almost every Monument. Politics are what they are, but patriotism and nationalism at its best is sharing a common identity, black,red,white, brown, rich, middle-class, poor, freshly naturalized citizen, or tenth generation American.  I promise if you look for that, you will find it.  

There are many monuments to see. Pick one and geek out but reading a lot about it beforehand and spending a couple of hours seeing all aspects of it.  A lot of effort and thought goes into conveying more than a superficial comment on the person.  

Thanks! Do you have any specific sites/museums that you really recommend? We are partial to free ones.

Archaeology cat

Thanks! Do you have any specific sites/museums that you really recommend? We are partial to free ones.

Do the Smithsonian museums, then. :) 

PhuturePriest

Do the Smithsonian museums, then. :) 

Yeah, but you can spend two days at all the Smithsonian ones, so we need very specific advice on those.

Alright, now that I've read your post... Cool! Sounds like it's been a good experience so far. 

As far as DC, I've spent a ton of time there (though most of it not doing much of anything). Make sure you have time to walk around the Basilica, it's absolutely gorgeous. There's about a dozen different side chapels, take a look at all of them. 

Edited by Amppax

HopefulHeart

Wow, you're doing quite a bit of journalistic work! Sounds as if you're gaining some valuable skills and experiences. :like:

Yeah, but you can spend two days at all the Smithsonian ones, so we need very specific advice on those.

My personal ratings (and it's been a few years since I've been to any of them) Air and Space Museum, American History, Natural History and I don't remember the others that well, it's been probably 7-8 years since I've been. 

Archaeology cat

Well, what kinds of things are you guys most interested in, then? My nephews always like the Air & Space Museum. Natural History is cool for some dinos and gems. American History has loads of things (my sister interned there, so we hung out there a lot).

PhuturePriest

Well, what kinds of things are you guys most interested in, then? My nephews always like the Air & Space Museum. Natural History is cool for some dinos and gems. American History has loads of things (my sister interned there, so we hung out there a lot).

Anything to do with air and space is automatically thrown out of the equation. I've never been interested in space. :P

I like history a lot, really. But we need to choose only the best ones, because we only have one day to look at all the stuff.

If you only have a day to see everything stick to the Basilica, the Holocaust memorial museum and the National Mall. 

:o)Katherine:o)

If you only have a day to see everything stick to the Basilica, the Holocaust memorial museum and the National Mall. 

Great advice Vee! Be sure to take time at the Basillica especially in the lower crypt. Lots of mini side chapels. I personally could spend hours there. Each one that Vee mentioned you can determine yourself how long or short it will be.

Have a great trip! Sounds like you are doing great things! :smile2:

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The Future Michael Voris perhaps before The Future Priest becomes a Priest. Good choice of exploring the world first in a catholic christian fashion, policies need to be questioned but the Love of God never. A new breed of political catholic christians inviting a religious concience  to be sought into all areas of the layman in light of the churches policies and the worlds, if you don't invite God into the situation peeps nothing good will happen because all good comes from god, we must examine and re examine everything God calls us to, to the best of our knowledge and understanding of the truth and how to intertwine it into all our thoughts, whether a straight a student or straight d. We must study all things we can, like a scientist studies all things, but in the light of Christ, if we don't invite him in as often as we can(everytime is best but of course we can forget) we read something than who are you inviting into the process, i will tell you you are either inviting in yourself or the devil. Praise and glory to his holy name. Time for tha Brain storm, none are idiots, not even a down syndrome, each has the capacity to think. :)

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye