An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crazy Cat Lady

dominicansoul

dominicansoul

We get a lot of strays in my rural area.  There are plenty of open wide fields filled with all kinds of animals.  People who hate animals dump their cats out here all the time.  Because cats are survivors, they find plenty to eat and drink out here.  Of course, we do help in that area because we feel sorry for them.  I hate to see animals starve.  So, in time, these strays find a home in our acreage.   Granted, they are not tame, they stay wild, and they only come close enough to eat out of a bowl left on the deck and drink some water.  But most of the time, they leave us alone and we leave them alone.  

...until something like this happens...

A pit bull was on the rampage this past april.  It destroyed my sister's tool shed, took out a whole wall with its powerful paws.   But it also went on a murderous spree and killed dozens of cats, some of them mamas with new litters and the litters themselves. :(  There were cat body parts all over the fields.  It was sickening.  After a while, my brother and I heard meowing coming from my dad's wood shed.  Lo and behold, an orange tabby kitty, about 3 weeks old popped its little head out from under the floorboards.  When he came out to us, we were startled because stray kittys have never acted this way, they usually are frightened by us and run.  But not this little guy, he was very loving and cuddly and wanted us to hold him.  That's when another little kitty stuck his head up...then another...and another....

Turns out there were 6 kittens, all of them abandoned by their mom.  probably she was killed or ran away when the pit bull attacked the others.  not wanting to take the burden of caring for a bunch of kittens, i told my brother to wait and see what happened, maybe another stray mama who survived the attack would adopt these little fellas.  So, we did nothing... 

I returned home from work a few days later.  First thing i do is go straight to the fridge for a cold one.  That's when I heard the meowing coming from the back bedroom that is not used.  My brother had taken the initiative and decided to bring the litter inside.  They were crying and wanting to be with us because they were starving.  I went to the store for milk replacer and bottle fed them every 4 hours.  There were two runts.  They did not last.  After an emotional burial, that left us with 4.  Then, one of my coworkers wanted the orange tabby.  He had been the hero, the one who saved the litter by sticking his little head out and getting our attention in the first place.  I already loved him, but I gave him away because i was afraid of all that little kittens demand.  and i wanted  him to be happy.  so he left us.  :(  I cried.  I was somewhat surprised with how fast i grew attached to these little guys.  So that left us with 3, and i decided i would make them mine and not give away anymore...

Meet my kittens, from left to right, Batty, Cuddles (on pillow), Scamp:

11707842_10207194690728264_6429087277152

Batty and Scamp are male, Cuddles is a female.  I have better pics to share, but haven't figured out how to share them on phatmass (it won't let me attach them for some reason, suprised this picture came out...)  I even have a video of Cuddles in slo mo, it's really cool.  lol.  

I am now a bonafide Crazy Cat Lady...

AccountDeleted

You're not the only one who is falling in love with cats (all over again). I used to have a lot of animals but when I started discerning they became a thing of the past, except for whatever pets a convent might have, and these were never personally mine.

Last month I decided to adopt a cat from the RSPCA. I looked at online pictures and debated over a senior cat vs a young cat. I went out and looked at all of them in two different shelters. I kept remembering my first cat, who lived and traveled with me for over 10 years. I wanted another 'her', but I knew it was impossible.

Anyway, I finally found her - not the same colour, but similar in temperament and a loud purr. I asked them to hold her for me until after I had moved house. When I phoned back to get her, she had pulled out her stitches from the de-sexing, and then after being in the vet clinic, had gotten cat flu. So they told me I had to wait until she was all better again.

I phoned them two days ago and she is still in the clinic, so I asked if I could come visit her in hospital and bring her flowers and chocolates but they said no (how mean, huh?). Anyway, they told me they would phone me as soon as she was ready for adoption again. In the meantime, I have a house full of cat things and no cat. My sister said it looks like I have a ghost cat. sigh

Waiting, always waiting. And here is Bella's cat playground, just waiting for her...

IMG_20150719_161034.jpg

crazycatlady.jpg

Edited by nunsense

dominicansoul

My kitties would love that!  I noticed how they have amesome products like Cat beds, cat hammocks, cat corner spaces and such that you can build an entire cat city in one room...I'm tempted to get started... lol.  

Hope you can get Bella soon!  

dominicansoul

By the way, I'm pretty heartbroken and upset today because of this... :'(  Can't take them to the vet until early tomorrow morning.  I haven't really interacted with them today :'(  Kept them in their bedroom and fed and watered them, cleaned out their icky kitty litter, too.  I'm really upset that they weren't protected with the meds the vet gave them from the get go.  I wish he had done some preventive for tapeworm.  Especially since I read it's pretty common for kitties to acquire it!

dominicansoul

I want the cubby holes, but only for 3.  

And the window sticker is cute as well.  Except i do have a brother i live with, a dog, a goat and chickens.  plus all the strays.  that's too many stickers I won't be able to see outta my back window!  

TheresaThoma

I miss having a kitty around. Though right now it is definitely not the time to get a kitty. I may look into volunteering at a local cat shelter to get my kitty cuddle time in.

AccountDeleted

My kitties would love that!  I noticed how they have amesome products like Cat beds, cat hammocks, cat corner spaces and such that you can build an entire cat city in one room...I'm tempted to get started... lol.  

Hope you can get Bella soon!  

My kitty 'tree' was purchased from the 'Reject' shop - they have those in the States don't they? Anyway, it was pretty reasonably priced but I did have to build it myself using two Allen keys. There were no instructions apart from a picture showing all the pieces and how they fit together. The problem with this was that there were different size bolts and different size pieces and the picture didn't say to use which size where. I had a couple of re-dos but in the end it all came together. If I ever get a cat- she will love it, I'm sure!  LOL :) 

Sorry about your kitties with worms but didn't you say you found them outside? They probably ran with a pretty sick bunch of cats and it just takes time for the to get well (keep using that medication as directed). My kitty has been in the clinic for 10 days now and I can't believe she will ever come home, but things take time to heal - so we have to be patient.

dominicansoul

I took them to the vet today, they gave them praziquantel capsules.  The only side effect I've seen is lethargy and some vomiting.  :(  They've had a rough weekend... this is how I feel right now too:

11753679_10207429253912197_6669547006468

TheresaThoma

Awww poor babies. Give them extra cuddles and love and I think Cuddles could use a belly rub.

dominicansoul

I cuddled all of them and am happy to say I see no sign of worms.  That stuff is pretty powerful, especially since I've read it can take a few days to clear up these worms!  Thank God! :)  I know it wasn't just the drugs, but most especially the prayers.

Next thing on the agenda:  getting their booster shots, rabies vaccinations and spade and neutered.  The males are already acting like they want to mate with the female.  My vet says cats start very young, so I'm hoping they gain enough weight to have the procedures done.

TheresaThoma

Yay! No more worms!

Definitely get them spade and neutered ASAP. You don't need anymore kitties.