An Old School Catholic Message Board

Studying Classical Greek

HopefulHeart

So, I decided to take the plunge and sign up for the Greek class! The semester has been in session for only a week, but I've had good first impressions of the class and the professor. After class on Thursday, the professor gave all of the Greek students a copy of the first five lines of Homer's Odyssey and had us write the lines with chalk on the blacktop in the quad. As we wrote, we worked on pronouncing the words. That was a fun assignment. :)

• 2 months later...

Well, the semester is almost done, and I've been getting excellent grades in Greek. It's been my favorite class this semester, and I've signed up for the next Greek class in the spring. I'm very glad I chose to study Greek.

Not The Philosopher

Well I started studying Koine Greek this semester, so you might say I'm a few centuries ahead of you on this!

*rimshot*

*audience boos*

• 1 year later...
HopefulHeart

I happened to recall creating this topic, so I'll give you all an update about my adventures with Greek. I just finished my fourth semester of Greek, during which I translated parts of the Iliad. Yesterday my classics department gave me an award (with a hefty check) for proficiency in the language. My involvement with the classics department has been one of the most rewarding parts of my time at this university. So, taking that introductory Greek course in 2015 turned out to be a very good decision. :smile2: