An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why is communion in both kinds seldom practiced by the Catholic church?

Guest Chris M

Dear brother/sister,
I used to be a Catholic. I drifted into protestantism but I am about to return to the Catholic faith. I have got the answers to most of the objections that made me leave the church. However there is still one nagging issue : will the Church any time soon give Eucharist every Sundays to all the faithful in both kinds as Orthodox do (who consider communion as the true flesh and blood of our Lord)? I am not convinced by the usual explanation which says that the body contains the blood. If Orthodox who are true apostolic christians give Eucharist in both kinds why is it seldom practiced by the Catholic church? Even if Protestant consider communion as mere symbolic they give it in both kinds.

I can't remember the last time I attended mass where communion under each species wasn't offered. Not sure where you're at, maybe you should try another parish. 

MarysLittleFlower

The Eastern Catholic rites offer this and are in union with Rome. However, the Council of Trent I think, defined it that we need to believe that both kinds aren't necessary for the faithful because Christ is fully in each. So we are obligated to believe that even if we receive both kinds. The priests receive both kinds anyway. The reason Trent defined this is because God is present there Body Soul Blood and Divinity and can't be separated :) as long as the priest receives both kinds all is well and if you only have the Host you still receive Christ fully. :) I'm a convert too and struggled with this but then it made sense... I hope it will for you too. Just remember He's fully in EACH particle. God bless you!