An Old School Catholic Message Board

some Bible verses...

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I was talking to someone about this and just wanted to check... Am I correct that the verse about some making themselves eunuchs for the Kingdom refers to celibate consecrated life?

Also I read in Matthew about how Our Lord told the Pharisees they are choosing their tradition over the Commandment to honour your father and mother... Their tradition was that if they tell their parents they are giving the support they owe to them to God, they don't have to honour them. What I don't understand is...

Was the problem them giving to God what was for their parents, or that they thought they don't need to honour them after? How does this relate to religious life? I mean we don't abandon parents and still make sure they are supported... But we are also giving our time to God instead of to them... Since we still intend to honour them this is different right? Thank you!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

In answer to the first question, yes.

For the second question, the point Christ was making was that the Pharisees were super careful about keeping all the tiny things like tithing a certain amount of their spices, saying that they were giving the firstfruits to God, but they would neglect bigger things like honouring their parents. The problem wasn't that those things should have been given to the parents instead, but, as you say, that they then acted like they were all good with the law and didn't need to respect their folks.

There were a couple of problems with what was going on in that text in Matthew.  One would be exactly what marigold pointed out...using the law in such a way that they could neglect the bigger and far more important things (like the commandments, honoring their father and mother, charity, etc) and still be seen as faithful or good in regards to the law.    

Another reason this was problematic is that some people would dedicate large sums of money to the temple so that they appear holy and would look really good/generous to others, be praised, etc. but they were actually neglecting the commandments.  Kind of like when Jesus pointed out those who love to pray in public places so that everyone will see them and think they are super holy.  

Very different than entrance to religious life and its relation to the 4th Commandment.  I suppose it might be more comparable if you had a person who decided to enter religious life so that they wouldn't have to take care of their parents.  That might be similarly hypocritical.  Otherwise, not the same!   :)  

I tried to edit but was too late.  And I know you didn't ask, but I wanted to add a little note at the end of my post explaining that my name on phatmass actually  comes from the parallel of that passage in Mark's Gospel (Mk 7:11).  There we see the word as meaning "given to God" or "dedicated to God".  It was commonly used/understood to be an offering, gift to the temple, or a sacrifice.  And it's root in the Hebrew language would actually mean something that is close to another, or nearness.  I chose corban to signify all those things   :)

So apparently it merged my posts after my attempt to edit failed.  That last paragraph just reads silly now.  Oh well.  For having been on here for so many years you'd think I would know how to use this site!   Hahaha!    :whistle::lol3:

Sorry!  

/hijack  

Edited by corban711

MarysLittleFlower

That's OK! :) thanks for the replies! :) that is very neat about your name. And no problem - I was surprised when my posts started being put together too! Haha.. I think its a new feature cause it never used to do that before!

veritasluxmea

Apparently in the early Church there was an issue of people taking this passage literally and making themselves LITERAL eunuchs (if you catch my drift) "for the kingdom of heaven". The Church had to step in and say no, that's NOT what it means. It just means someone who chose to live a celibate life, not a physical difference.