An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Confusion

Crucesignata

Sponsa-Christi

Crucesignata,

You might want to look into the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of the Springs (Bridgeport Dominicans).

This is a new community of mostly older Sisters. They branched off from their original community of the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs (which was actually the mother community of the Nashville Dominicans) when the St. Mary of the Springs Sisters merged with two other Dominican groups. The Bridgeport Dominicans are a lot more "modern" than the Nashville or Ann Arbor Dominicans. But, they're totally faithful to the magisterium, and are dedicated to prayer, community life, and their Dominican charism. 

I don't know what their policy on special diets is, but I know a lot of the Sisters personally and my sense is that they'd be very open to discerning with someone on an individual, one-to-one basis.

sr.christinaosf

I will pray for you.  When contacting a vocation directness, can't you ask about this along with other questions you might have?  Can you contact communities you are interested in and go from there, based on their response? 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I would just like to point out that my community has a history of accepting women with health issues, diet issues,  disabilities, etc. for decades even when other communities wouldn't so we do have quite a lot of experience about this. It's just as easy as a community needs to be more open, generous, etc. 

sr.christinaosf

It's interesting because I have a vision impairment (I still read regular print but don't drive) and little issues treated by medication.  When I was looking into religious life, I would ask right away if they accepted people with such issues - I figured there was no sense pursing a congregation only to find I could not be considered.  Some communities would say no and others were open to candidates with such issues.  

Prayers for you!

Edited by sr.christinaosf

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I would just like to point out that my community has a history of accepting women with health issues, diet issues,  disabilities, etc. for decades even when other communities wouldn't so we do have quite a lot of experience about this. It's just as easy as a community needs to be more open, generous, etc. 

I meant NOT just easy as a community to be more open...

TheresaThoma

I'm on medication and may be on that medication for the rest of my life (the Drs gave me a 50/50 chance of getting off my meds successfully). I have discovered that with medical issues it is best to ask about them sooner rather than later. It definitely isn't the first thing I bring up but I typically tried to bring it up in the first couple of conversations. I have had a few communities tell me that they can't accept me. Others have been more open but you don't know until you ask.

Poor Friars

We can not see what the problem is. We have several members with such problems and the Lord has never failed to provide both the necessary foods and or healing. If someone is called to follow Jesus, he gives them the Grace to follow. Our community has no interest of putting these physical restrictions before the Spiritual power of God to provide a way through as He himself says in the Gospel of Matthew: 

"So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?' or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?' All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides." (Matt 6:31-33)

One must be given the opportunity at least to discern and discover. If it is God's will for someone to become a member of our Community, the Lord will reveal it clearly. If they are not, that too will be revealed just as if maybe even more clearer.

Crucesignata

+JMJ+

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging suggestions.  I shall definitely look into the different orders you suggested and bring it to Our Lord in prayer.  

It's a pretty strict diet (including - but not limited to - staying away from wheat, gluten, cow's dairy, potatoes, corn, sugar, and fake sugars.)  On it, I am one of the healthiest people I know, but if I deviate, bad results are not instant, but are still severe enough to cause months of pain and (if I deviate from it too much for too long) death.  But all in all, it would be kind of tough on any community to accept me - either a whole extra meal must be made or else the community already does not eat those things.  Anyone know of orders that might eat something like this already?  

I do bring up the whole diet/health issue as soon as possible; when I first began contacting communities, I forgot to mention it once or twice and that was kind of discouraging.  They were all very positive and ready to hand me papers in the near future... and then I remembered and asked.  Annnddd that was that.  

In the meantime - waiting and praying and studying - I have been looking into other possible vocations, one of which is the life of a hermit.  I'm also keeping my heart open to the married life if God so wished that I choose that vocation.  Ho hum.

Any advice for discerning and waiting/waiting to discern?  The place I am in right now discernment-wise seems really weird.  

Thank you all for the prayers -- I have been praying in thanksgiving for you.  May God bless you all!

In Corde Matris,

Crucesignata

OnlySunshine

+JMJ+

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging suggestions.  I shall definitely look into the different orders you suggested and bring it to Our Lord in prayer.  

It's a pretty strict diet (including - but not limited to - staying away from wheat, gluten, cow's dairy, potatoes, corn, sugar, and fake sugars.)  On it, I am one of the healthiest people I know, but if I deviate, bad results are not instant, but are still severe enough to cause months of pain and (if I deviate from it too much for too long) death.  But all in all, it would be kind of tough on any community to accept me - either a whole extra meal must be made or else the community already does not eat those things.  Anyone know of orders that might eat something like this already?  

I do bring up the whole diet/health issue as soon as possible; when I first began contacting communities, I forgot to mention it once or twice and that was kind of discouraging.  They were all very positive and ready to hand me papers in the near future... and then I remembered and asked.  Annnddd that was that.  

In the meantime - waiting and praying and studying - I have been looking into other possible vocations, one of which is the life of a hermit.  I'm also keeping my heart open to the married life if God so wished that I choose that vocation.  Ho hum.

Any advice for discerning and waiting/waiting to discern?  The place I am in right now discernment-wise seems really weird.  

Thank you all for the prayers -- I have been praying in thanksgiving for you.  May God bless you all!

In Corde Matris,

Crucesignata

It's always difficult coming to the conclusion that you may not be called to religious life.  I had to make that determination myself when I was unsuccessful.  I contacted every religious community I was attracted to and most of them said they were unable to make accommodations.  The ones left over were ones that I ended up not being called to anyway.  I decided to focus my efforts elsewhere and I am finishing my Bachelor degree (I will graduate in December).  Sometimes, I still have pangs and really wish I was called to religious life, but I know it wouldn't work out.  There are other avenues of consecration or dedication and I am looking into those, but I have plenty of time.  I am looking forward to my career and I feel like this is where God wants me to be.  I haven't felt more sure in my life.  :)

:o)Katherine:o)

I have a high gluten intolerance allergy. When I first felt the call to religious life and began visiting religious communities I did not know that I had the allergy. I had several health problems. I learned quickly that it was best to be open about my medical background in the beginning. Contact ended very quickly for some due to my past health issues. After learning that I had the allergy and seeing a health improvement after not eating the gluten things have gotten better. Some communities have said that I would not be able to join their community because I would have a special diet. Others have said that it would not be an issue. It depends on the community based on their means of supporting themselves, the diet of most of the community and even medical insurance and costs.

For now, I am focusing on continuing to improve my health with my diet and to find a healthy balance of losing weight (gained a lot over the years due to eating so much gluten and not knowing that I was allergic).  Crucesignata, that would be my advice to you. Find a balance physically and spiritually. While it may not be easy, this is an incredible time for growth and becoming more in tune to God. Sometimes what is the most difficult for us is the greatest gift that we could ever receive. My prayers are with you as you go through this time. One of my spiritual directors tells me constantly: God has three answers for us: 1) yes 2) not yet  or 3) I have something better.  When you are ready (in his time) you will know what His answer is for you! :)

I have a high gluten intolerance allergy.

My oldest daughter is a celiac - no gutted in ANYTHING including face creams, etc.  As a physician herself, she never thought much about it previously although, in retrospect, she'd had symptoms since grade school.  She is 40 and was diagnosed 5 years ago.  In changing her diet and basically her lifestyle (her entire family eats gluten free and loves it), she has never felt or looked better!  She lost weight (not that she really needed to, but it was an added bonus), her skin now glows and isn't pasty, and she's got tons more energy.  It can be done :)  My prayers are with you on your health challenge and your discernment.

OnlySunshine

I have a high gluten intolerance allergy.

My oldest daughter is a celiac - no gutted in ANYTHING including face creams, etc.  As a physician herself, she never thought much about it previously although, in retrospect, she'd had symptoms since grade school.  She is 40 and was diagnosed 5 years ago.  In changing her diet and basically her lifestyle (her entire family eats gluten free and loves it), she has never felt or looked better!  She lost weight (not that she really needed to, but it was an added bonus), her skin now glows and isn't pasty, and she's got tons more energy.  It can be done :)  My prayers are with you on your health challenge and your discernment.

I am exactly the same.  If there is even the slightest bit of gluten/wheat in cosmetics, lotion, shampoo, etc. my skin breaks out in a horrible rash.  I once bought some tinted moisturizer from Physician's Formula after I went gluten-free and didn't even think to check the label (who puts wheat in makeup?).  BIG mistake!  It looked like I had been horribly sunburned and my skin started peeling.  I traced the reaction back to the makeup because it was the newest thing I had been using.  The label said "wheat bran glucosides."  I have to make sure each thing I buy has no trace of gluten/wheat in it because I've gotten even more sensitive since I went GF and Paleo.  I don't even wear makeup anymore because I get such bad reactions from it now.  My skin started looking better since I stopped using it.

I have never been tested for Celiac but I'm pretty sure I have it.  My doctor thinks I do, too.  If only I had health insurance, I could get the test.  I've traced symptoms back all the way to when I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety/PTSD when I was 16.  I've read some research articles that suggest that a traumatic incident can cause Celiac because of the chemical changes in the body.  It could have even been there before but I didn't realize it.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/depressed-it-may-be-celiac-disease/

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I will pray for you. Since none of us know what your issue is, it might be something very easy to handle. I would suggest you check it out before feeling all is lost. I have had many clients enter religious life with food restrictions (lactose intolerance, vegetarian, celiac, etc.) and the communities they entered were fine. One community I can think of had the postulant act as the cook so she could set aside her own dish without causing difficulty for the community at large. It wasn't a big deal, it was a monastic community, and I thought they were very practical. Obviously, if your diet requires expensive food items, that would be a drawback. Many of the communities I know and have watched women enter are very generous in making sure it's a good fit, and I have found, as a bystander, the community does want the woman to succeed in the life and does what they can to make the transition smooth. One young woman I worked with entered the Poor Clare's. (PCC) She had trouble with her feet and was allowed to wear soft shoes. So, please don't give up! If you want suggestions of the communities I know personally, please PM me! 

I'm sorry, I went back and read your post explaining the details of your diet. I don't know what kind of community you are looking for (if you said it, I missed that too). I still believe - depending upon the community - that you could find a religious congregation that would accept you and allow you to stick to your diet. The best part is that is that you are not asking FOR anything, so depending upon your constitution, some of the regular portions you could pass on without calling too much attention to yourself. Of course, these issues really apply to cloistered communities as apostolic communities (except for the large institutional orders as someone mentioned) allow the Sisters to make their own food. It just depends upon what you feel called to as a religious. Prayers!

AccountDeleted

+JMJ+

In Corde Matris,

Crucesignata

Most of life seems to be about waiting, and for some of us (me included) - that is harder than doing. But after awhile, it becomes clear that the waiting has a purpose of its own. While we are waiting, we are totally dependent on God and on others to help us. Sure, it's much nicer to feel in control of things, especially our own life (or at least our own life) - but being without control is a great time to learn how to trust.

Whatever happens, how wonderful that you care enough to even look into options for serving God. Good stuff. And prayers for you.

Probably waiting is intrinsic to what St Augustine said:  "Our hearts are restless, Lord, until they rest in Thee".  And what is prayed at Mass "as we wait in Joyful Hope for the coming of our saviour Jesus Christ"    We are waiting, I think, sometimes and even perhaps often unsure of what in particular we are actually waiting for....................I experience it as a sort of sense of apprehension, of something about to occur, immanent.  Don't ask me what!