An Old School Catholic Message Board

Celibate Chastity--for its own sake, or as a means to an end in the world?

bardegaulois

I don't think it's an either or type thing, not in my case anyway. I guess it's a very individual thing and the Gospel encourages celibacy as a choice for any who can abide with it. Many people in the world are celibate out of circumstances though, not because of any discerned choices. How people live out their lives and adapt to this in the world is probably worth thinking about too.

In terms of those who choose to be celibate. Personally, I am celibate because I believe God has called me to be celibate, as lived out as a religious. I joined an institute with an active apostolate and so the freedom I have (as a novice I'm fairly busy:smokey:) manifests in time and openeness to others without the complications of issues around power dynamics of self interest and advancement: money, sex, career etc.

I wouldn't say I'm celibate simply so I can be free to help others.  I am celibate because I am called through it to become the full person God would want. It can be hard but on the whole the person should be joyful and confident in their celibacy. It probably shouldn't be viewed as a burden endured for the mission etc as it risks distortions. Just my intial thoughts though:)

julianneoflongbeach

Option bubble C: Neither

For it's own sake is rather pointless. People who have low sex drives, identify as asexual, or have some physical reason to not engage in sexual activity are merely natural reasons to not participate in the divine directive to "fill the earth and subdue it". There is no spiritual merit.

Those who are celibate as a means to and end, perhaps thinking of it as necessary to work for the church, may be noble in intention but are ultimately getting in their own way.

One must have a charism or calling to celibate chastity for it to perfectly fulfill its ultimate purpose, which is to unite oneself to Christ.

Those who choose this in pain in order to not sin either permanently or temporarily (virgins, widows, homosexuals, etc.) may find solace and merit in offering up their patience and suffering. I tend to think of them more as suffering souls. Maybe option bubble D.

MarysLittleFlower

I tend to think of it similar to Julianne. Its not really for its own sake because it's offered.

Although it leaves more time to serve others usually the primary purpose of making this commitment is Christ Himself.. For me its been about loving Him more exclusively. Its almost like a need in the soul though its free.

Those who choose it to avoid sin (such as Julianne mentioned and others like divorced people) then its like a cross but hopefully it can also lead to joy - even joy in having a cross to carry. When chosen with a grateful heart, even if its due to a cross in life - I believe it brings much joy.

Others choose it because they feel a call and its easier to feel joy with it from the start unless their will was set on something else.

In the end as a vocation it is a call and needs to be done to fulfill God's Will and love Him more perfectly :) it directs WHO a person is not just what they do which is secondary.

By making this offering, a soul may be more free to love God in an exclusive way and work for His interests alone, including - consoling Him and helping in the salvation of souls.. While a married person is more concerned with the interests of the human spouse as St Paul says. 

Maybe that is why some connect consecrated chastity to a bridal spirituality because it is similar to what a bride would do for her spouse but much much more. 

AccountDeleted

Although the words celibacy and chastity are often used interchangeably today, the origin of them is different and had different meanings. Priests take a vow of celibacy (to stay unmarried) but monks and nuns take a vow of chastity (to not have illicit sex, although they remain celibate as well). All Catholics are really expected to be chaste at all times (even within marriage - sex only with one's spouse) but obviously not all Catholics are expected to be celibate since marriage is a sacrament.

Today the words are used fairly interchangeably but it is important to remember that with or without a vow of chastity, it is expected of us, and if we can't be chaste while unmarried, then we should marry, and be chaste within the marriage (as per St Paul).

Just some interesting facts...

Celibacy

The word “celibate” is from the Latin celibatus, which literally means “a single life.”  By definition unmarried persons are celibate.  Dictionaries up to the middle of the 20th century typically defined “celibacy” as “an unmarried state; single life.”

Today’s dictionaries often still have that definition but usually add another definition which includes abstaining from sexual intercourse, and they give chastity as a synonym.  Encyclopedia Britannica online reads: “celibacy, the state of being unmarried and, therefore, sexually abstinent.”   As you read please remember that celibacy means unmarried, nothing more.  If I am married, I am not celibate.  If you are unmarried you are celibate.

Chastity

The word “chaste” is from the Latin castus which literally means “pure.”  Dictionaries up to the middle of the 20th century typically defined “chastity” as “not indulging in illicit sexual intercourse; virtuous.” 

Today’s dictionaries often define it as purity, but add something about not being married.  Using chastity in its original meaning, individuals may live in any of the following four states.

• Neither celibate nor chaste: Married and engaging in illicit sexual intercourse.

• Both celibate and chaste: Single and not engaging in sexual intercourse.

• Celibate but not chaste: Single and engaging in sexual intercourse.

• Chaste but not celibate: Married and engaging in sexual intercourse only with spouse.

Celibacy’s threats to Chastity

Three times in 1 Corinthians 7 Paul mentioned that remaining unmarried could threaten one’s purity.

• Since there is so much immorality both men and women should marry to have their own spouses (v. 2).

• If people can’t control themselves, it is better to marry than to burn with passion (v. 9).

• If a man believes he is acting improperly toward his fiancé who is getting older, it is good for him to marry her (v. 36).

MarysLittleFlower

I was told that the commitment to chastity in consecrated life is a commitment to a perfection of chastity which is celibacy? (To distinguish from the call of each soul to be chaste including in marriage)

I was told that the commitment to chastity in consecrated life is a commitment to a perfection of chastity which is celibacy? (To distinguish from the call of each soul to be chaste including in marriage)

Chastity is being pure or having fidelity to your vocation (life state). Celibacy is living the single life, so being chaste in that state means not engaging in sexual intercourse. For a married couple being chaste means only enaging in sexual activity with eachother in ways allowed by the church. The terms can be confusing, but the bottom line is if you're not married you shouldn't be engaging in sexual activity with anyone. A religious is bound by vows to be chaste and celibate. However, a single lay person who is celibate but can't remain chaste should probably get married if they can.

Although the words celibacy and chastity are often used interchangeably today, the origin of them is different and had different meanings. Priests take a vow of celibacy (to stay unmarried) but monks and nuns take a vow of chastity (to not have illicit sex, although they remain celibate as well). All Catholics are really expected to be chaste at all times (even within marriage - sex only with one's spouse) but obviously not all Catholics are expected to be celibate since marriage is a sacrament.

I just wanted to clarify that secular priests do not take a vow of celibacy. They make a promise to the Bishop, which binds them canonically. He would therefore be expected to be chaste to that state unless he seeks processes to revoke the promise. A religious, through taking vows, is bound to be chaste and celibate (even though they may live in community and not a single life per se). It is also illicit, as far as I'm aware, for priests and religious to try and marry without release from vows. If anyone isn't married, regardless of who they are, they are supposed to be celibate and chaste. If not, they should be going to confession :numchucks:

Edited by Benedictus

Chastity – vowing to give one’s heart entirely to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary, to be joined in union with them with body, mind and heart.                                 (heartsofJesusandMary.com)

bardegaulois

I was rather hoping that this wouldn't devolve into yet another restatement of the differences between celibacy and chastity. So let me restate the thrust of my query a little more explicitly.

Is the celibate life (we'll presume being lived chastely) of intrinsic worth, or worthy because of its utilitarian purpose in the Church and the world?

AccountDeleted

I was rather hoping that this wouldn't devolve into yet another restatement of the differences between celibacy and chastity. So let me restate the thrust of my query a little more explicitly.

Is the celibate life (we'll presume being lived chastely) of intrinsic worth, or worthy because of its utilitarian purpose in the Church and the world?

Sometimes it seems necessary to define the terms we use- just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing. But even though being celibate used to mean being unmarried, today it has taken on the meaning of not having sexual relations. We don't have to debate the terms, but just be careful when we talk about different aspects of chastity/celibacy, so we all know what we mean!

In terms of whether celibacy (meaning no sex in this case) as a way of life has an intrinsic worth of its own, or is simply a 'utilitarian' (not sure what is meant here) purpose in the Church - this seems to relate to the topic we had on mortification/asceticism. Since we find spiritual value in things that either test the body or deny the body, it seems that celibacy as a state of life should also have spiritual value. But, and this is the tricky part - as St Paul said, if we are unable to keep to the vow, perhaps then we are better off being married and having spousal sexual relations. 

MarysLittleFlower

Benedictus, I am aware of this, I meant that celibacy has been called "perfect chastity".

veritasluxmea

It's both. You can't have one without the other. That's like saying you can be a saint without loving your neighbor. The celibate life is of intrinsic worth, on its own. If you internalized the charism of celibacy and never saw another soul, just living the celibate life- being a celibate- has value on it own.

However... being a celibate person, being celibate, disposes you to a freedom to love God and neighbor, a utility, that flows from who you become in your relationship with God as a celibate. Having a utility in the Church doesn't make celibacy worthy, but it is a healthy part of it. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

AveMariaPurissima

My brief two cents:  I would say that merely the material fact of living a celibate chaste life (I.e., the simple fact of not being married, and accordingly, not having sex) is not something intrinsically valuable on its own.  However, I think that when this type of life is chosen for love of God and the good of the Church, it has a value beyond merely the "utilitarian."  Yes, it is useful on a practical level (for example, since a priest doesn't have a wife or children, he can devote all his time and attention to his duties toward the Church and caring for souls, rather than having to do that in addition to family responsibilities.)  But the value of freely chosen, chaste celibacy goes beyond that.  Marriage is a great good, it's holy and sacred -- but it's something that only exists on earth, not in heaven.  I think a big part of the value of this lifestyle is that it points ahead toward eternity, where each of us, as members of the Church, the bride of Christ, will be in a spousal union with God.  Those who choose a celibate, chaste life for love of God and neighbor begin this spousal relationship with God even now while on earth.

(^Thanks and credit to the priest whose homily I heard today, which this post is largely based on! )

AccountDeleted

My brief two cents:  I would say that merely the material fact of living a celibate chaste life (I.e., the simple fact of not being married, and accordingly, not having sex) is not something intrinsically valuable on its own.  However, I think that when this type of life is chosen for love of God and the good of the Church, it has a value beyond merely the "utilitarian."  Yes, it is useful on a practical level (for example, since a priest doesn't have a wife or children, he can devote all his time and attention to his duties toward the Church and caring for souls, rather than having to do that in addition to family responsibilities.)  But the value of freely chosen, chaste celibacy goes beyond that.  Marriage is a great good, it's holy and sacred -- but it's something that only exists on earth, not in heaven.  I think a big part of the value of this lifestyle is that it points ahead toward eternity, where each of us, as members of the Church, the bride of Christ, will be in a spousal union with God.  Those who choose a celibate, chaste life for love of God and neighbor begin this spousal relationship with God even now while on earth.

(^Thanks and credit to the priest whose homily I heard today, which this post is largely based on! )

Well put. And thanks to your priest as well.