An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cross-Cultural Misunderstandings

Gabriela

I'm teaching intercultural communication this coming semester. What are some good movies or tv shows that depict cross-cultural misunderstandings/mishaps? I don't watch much and I need clips for class.

YouTube links earn you props! :like2:

(Non-A/V resources are very welcome, too, if you know of any good ones, like websites and such.)

I'm teaching intercultural communication this coming semester. What are some good movies or tv shows that depict cross-cultural misunderstandings/mishaps? I don't watch much and I need clips for class.

YouTube links earn you props! :like2:

(Non-A/V resources are very welcome, too, if you know of any good ones, like websites and such.)

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. There are a few clips, here's one. Not sure if that's on the right lines or not. The scene near the end on cross cultural misunderstanding and or disbelief at a vegetarian is funny. There's probably other clips of the films with similar mishaps around too. :)

Edited by Benedictus

Crash. movie, 2004. Very good.

Oy. That one was intense. Clips only, cuz that first scene with the cops and the black lady was unbearable!

Thank you!

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. There are a few clips, here's one. Not sure if that's on the right lines or not. The scene near the end on cross cultural misunderstanding and or disbelief at a vegetarian is funny. There's probably other clips of the films with similar mishaps around too. :)

Yeah, that's a hilarious scene. My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Outsourced were the only movies I had on my list at the time of posting. Those are the only two I could remember!

My Cousin Vinnie places New Yorkers in the South. There must be some brief scenes in there you can use.

Oh, there's that movie "Babies", too. I forgot about that. It doesn't really show cross-cultural misunderstandings, I guess, but certainly how different cultures communicate with their children. And I think it provokes thought about how the environments we grow up in shape our communication.

Edited by Gabriela

Bend it like Beckham

Best movie I ever saw was a Muslim woman falling for a regular Canadian. Called Sabah. You can see it on YouTube. 

truthfinder

Bend it like Beckham

Best movie I ever saw was a Muslim woman falling for a regular Canadian. Called Sabah. You can see it on YouTube. 

Oh, I like Sabah, and I'm glad someone else has seen it too.  It was filmed in Toronto, and I just like the fact that the streetcars are in the movie.