An Old School Catholic Message Board

can God act contrary to logic?

dairygirl4u2c

can God act contrary to logic?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i assume most will say God can't be illogical, but i wanted to see how true this is. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

yes god can bend time, he can make a donkey speak human language out loud. I have seen a triple rainbow and i wasn't on drugs or alcohol and nore was i abusing drugs or alcohol around that time.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The wisdom of the world versus the foolishness of faith and all of that.

Miracles - calming the sea, healing people, bringing people back to life - are basically illogical, assuming you consider the laws of nature to be logical.

Logic is a human creation - people figuring out the relationships between causes & effects and so forth.

Since God created the laws of nature, He can mess with them if He wants to. I would say God doesn't have to be logical at all.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

God can make the sun shine at midnight, if that where good and would truly advance the kingdom of heaven on earth.

julianneoflongbeach

Even if God manipulates nature to perform a miracle that doesn't make it illogical as He has only ever done them for logical reasons. It is impossible for God to be illogical as it is impossible for God to be wrong. Our comprehension of God's logic is not a requirement for it to be logical. But one of the great reasons we have for being able to acknowledge God and the Catholic faith is that the universe He has created around us is ordered and logical. We know by reason (logic) that He is who He says He is and that we can trust Him. This is opposed to other faiths, such as Islam, that believe that God is capricious and that nature is unpredictable.

Edited by julianneoflongbeach

Not The Philosopher

There is a difference between physical impossibility and logical impossibility. Something that is logically impossible cannot exist, because it does violence to the nature of rationality and meaning itself. Consider the illogical statement, "Lucy is a cat, and Lucy is also not a cat." Grammatically, the sentence makes sense, but the self-negating sentence doesn't really describe anything - it doesn't even have the ability to be true or false, as there's no possible state of affairs that it could be referring to.

So no, God cannot contradict logic, but that is not a constraint on his power because the illogical isn't anything at all. That is distinctly different from bringing about something that would ordinarily be physically impossible.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The only thing God can't do is... Evil. All things are possible to God, dare to believe. I feel like a conversation killer at times and i'm on that bank roll this evening for some reason. But true story, do you all believe the statement i just made?

julianneoflongbeach

The only thing God can't do is... Evil. All things are possible to God, dare to believe. I feel like a conversation killer at times and i'm on that bank roll this evening for some reason. But true story, do you all believe the statement i just made?

Sorry, nope. God cannot also be wrong. One can be wrong and not be evil, such as thinking 2+2=5. Obviously wrong, but has no bearing on morality. However if God could be wrong He wouldn't be the god we know and worship in Catholicism. You could not say He is omniscient if He could be wrong, you could not say He is perfect if He could be wrong, you could not say He is God if He could be wrong.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

For God to be wrong would actually be evil and lower God to the state of created things(of course created things outside of the good LORD himself), because God is perfect he can not be wrong therefore if he where to be wrong he would be evil because he would not be God. Hard to explain but hopefully i don't freak you out but everything including the angels are kind of evil compared to God, everything is so below his majesty and un-equivalent. Only God is truly good.

Even, hypothetically, if God were illogical, we would not be capable of making that determination, would we? Can I determine if Stephen Hawking's theories are correct applications of physics? Some things he says may not make a whole lot of sense to me but I don't have sufficient knowledge about physics to say if they are right or wrong . . .

But God is about a zillion times more intelligent than Stephen Hawking. So it seems to me that if God were to say 1 + 1 + 1 = 1, for example, the reason why it may SEEM illogical may be that I am not sufficiently intelligent to understand it, rather than it being a mistake or something that is inconsistent with logic .  . .

But even though I don't think we are capable of making a determination of whether God has acted consistency with human logic, I don't see any reason why He should be bound by it. As Liugi wrote, He created the universe and the laws that govern it. He can change those any time that He wants to (such as with miracles, etc).

dairygirl4u2c

to say God cannot lie, or cannot be evil etc is a statement surrounded by logic. if God could be illogical, it would mean GOd can lie or be evil. it would also mean impossible things like. God can be and not be at teh same time etc

If God could be illogical, it would mean GOd can lie or be evil.

Why would that be the case? When you say that something is "logical" or "illogical" what exactly do you mean by those terms? How do you define them?

Edited by Peace

MarysLittleFlower

There is a difference between physical impossibility and logical impossibility. Something that is logically impossible cannot exist, because it does violence to the nature of rationality and meaning itself. Consider the illogical statement, "Lucy is a cat, and Lucy is also not a cat." Grammatically, the sentence makes sense, but the self-negating sentence doesn't really describe anything - it doesn't even have the ability to be true or false, as there's no possible state of affairs that it could be referring to.

So no, God cannot contradict logic, but that is not a constraint on his power because the illogical isn't anything at all. That is distinctly different from bringing about something that would ordinarily be physically impossible.

i agree. I also would like to say that Lucy is definitely not a cat, as she is a dog and is sitting in my car right now ;) 

God is not illogical because God is beyond our rational mind.

On the other hand, they too confess that ‘God is not illogical’ and reason-out that ‘God is beyond our rational mind’ whenever they fail to explain their own ‘irrational beliefs’.