An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Called to the Collar" with Lisa Ling

Gabriela

We had a thread about this back in 2014, when the episode with the priests was just being discussed in the media, but hadn't yet been filmed. Now it's been filmed. Here it is:

I've watched over half and so far am very pleased. It's not deep, but it is respectful and a good window into the life of a priest for people who don't know much about Catholicism and wonder why anyone would become a priest.

I thought this was well done and what a blessing for that family to have so many priests and a seminarian. It was obvious Lisa isn't Catholic and To me, she didn't have to bring up abuse as often as she did but they seminarians and priests handled it gracefully. 

I thought this was well done and what a blessing for that family to have so many priests and a seminarian. It was obvious Lisa isn't Catholic and To me, she didn't have to bring up abuse as often as she did but they seminarians and priests handled it gracefully. 

I think she probably did that because the audience would expect it. In a time of such scandal, it has to be addressed, or else it's the elephant in the room. I appreciated that she gave so many priests opportunity to address it themselves, in their own words, so the public could hear that. And I agree they handled it very well.

Edited by Gabriela

This episode was wonderful and beautifully executed.  It was a fair and honest look into the experiences of seminarians.  A blessing to the Church to have a secular journalist profiling Catholics and attempting to present a fair and balanced perspective.