An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Get Tattooed?

julianneoflongbeach

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?  

(1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

tattoos are very vain

Edited by little2add

AccountDeleted

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?  

(1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

tattoos are very vain

I'm not sure that I see the connection between these two statements. One is a scripture passage that states that we belong to God (true) and the other is a personal opinion claiming to know the motivation of a person who gets a tattoo (they got a tattoo so they must be vain).

It just seems to be quite arrogant for one person to tell another person that their appearance indicates their moral state. I don't personally like tattoos but I know that some people view 'body art' as a means of adorning the body. When someone tries to look good (in their own eyes), they might also be doing it because they think it reflects well on God to take care of the body (in a way that they like). Millions of Catholics pierce their ears (including the ears of babies) and they don't see it as vain or even self-mutilation. Even more millions of Catholics wear make-up (probably more do than don't) because they like to feel that they are well dressed and well groomed. That's why we shouldn't judge anyone else by appearance alone. There are just too many reasons and motivations for why people do things, and no one knows the heart of another person. What's vain for one person might not be for another.

Personally, I find the wearing of lacy mantillas could be considered very vain - and perhaps even an indication of spiritual pride (almost a 'see how holy I am, I wear a mantilla') because if the person just wanted to cover their hair, they could wear something that was simpler and less attention seeking. But even if I did think that, it wouldn't be right for me to judge others by something that is basically just my personal opinion.  So the answer to the original question is that there is no 'should' or 'should not' about this - it is all personal choice and personal opinion.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I know of very devout Catholics who have small tattoos of religious symbols, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Even if a Catholic has a larger tattoo, that is their business and not mine. As for wearing make-up, that is a very personal decision--there is no right or wrong answer. I have worked in places where I was expected to wear at least a small amount of make-up as part of being well-groomed (along with keeping my hair clean and wearing clothes that fit my role in the firm). The rule-of-thumb was to dress the same way as the client we were visiting. The office was "business casual," but if I had a meeting with executives at a bank, I dressed accordingly.

I get very discouraged when I read posts judging other people, particularly when it is on matters of personal taste, and where what is correct varies a lot, both by geography, and by the situation.

There is nothing intrinsically immoral about getting a tattoo. I think FP's answer pretty much nailed the reason that Leviticus' pronouncement doesn't still ban the practice. I think the morality is more dependent on what is tattooed rather than the tattoo itself. 

MarysLittleFlower

I think the statement that its irrelevant how a person regulates their appearance because God looks at the heart, sort of misses the point. Not only does it affect the soul what we do with the body, but it makes some sort of disharmony between interior and exterior. The Saints regulated everything exteriorly as an expression of the interior and also to protect the soul. Certain things can easily tempt to vanity even if the original intent is not vain.

Obviously the intent affects culpability and can even make something sinful or not, or mortal or venial or an imperfection. But it doesn't seem to be that its irrelevant to God, as if the body just doesn't matter. I have been convicted in my heart about some of these things during prayer about things that I felt I should change and makeup was one of them. Am I infallible? Of course not. And I'm just an ordinaryCatholic. But the quote from the Saint is there too. For those who dismiss it as a private revelation - there are actually tons of quotes by Saints condemning makeup in strong language. I'm not commenting onanyones culpability or intent here. The intent matters but it still doesn't make makeup a good thing. Even St Thomas was against it and implied it can be at least a venial sin. Venial sin is serious. If we aspire to perfection even an imperfection is serious. St Thomas was OK with adornments for married women but still not makeup. Even withoit a vain intent it can provide a temptation. And its easy to have some vanity. Here are tons of quotes:they are sort of interspersed with modesty quotes: http://saintsworks.net/Modesty and Purity.htm

Maybe this is not the popular view, but I used to wear tons of makeup before and its been a whole journey for me learning about it. Intent can be better or worse but I don't see makeup as something that God just doesn't care about. He made our bodies to glorify Him. Anyway since this thread is notspecifically on makeup I'll leave it here but I wanted to respond. 

Anyway I'll leave it here cause this thread is not about makeup but I wanted to respond. I think even though intent matters it doesn't turn something not God's Will into His Will. It only makes a serious thing less serious or vice versa. His Will could still be different. Neither do I consider myself more holy for this than others. But eventually for me it was about obedience. 

MarysLittleFlower

God cares about the body too. And He gave many inspirations to the Saints on how to avoid anything imperfect. He often gives us holy inspirations too but its a mystery why some get particular ones. But the theological statements about makeup from St Thomas for example - they can introduce the topic and a person can make this argument from reason too. 

God looks at the heart. But what is His Will regarding something? And if something isn't what He wants, the intent affects culpability but doesnt make that action objectively good for us. 

I'm not sure that I see the connection between these two statements. One is a scripture passage that states that we belong to God (true) and the other is a personal opinion claiming to know the motivation of a person who gets a tattoo (they got a tattoo so they must be vain).

It just seems to be quite arrogant for one person to tell another person that their appearance indicates their moral state. I don't personally like tattoos but I know that some people view 'body art' as a means of adorning the body. When someone tries to look good (in their own eyes), they might also be doing it because they think it reflects well on God to take care of the body (in a way that they like). Millions of Catholics pierce their ears (including the ears of babies) and they don't see it as vain or even self-mutilation. Even more millions of Catholics wear make-up (probably more do than don't) because they like to feel that they are well dressed and well groomed. That's why we shouldn't judge anyone else by appearance alone. There are just too many reasons and motivations for why people do things, and no one knows the heart of another person. What's vain for one person might not be for another.

Personally, I find the wearing of lacy mantillas could be considered very vain - and perhaps even an indication of spiritual pride (almost a 'see how holy I am, I wear a mantilla') because if the person just wanted to cover their hair, they could wear something that was simpler and less attention seeking. But even if I did think that, it wouldn't be right for me to judge others by something that is basically just my personal opinion.  So the answer to the original question is that there is no 'should' or 'should not' about this - it is all personal choice and personal opinion.

your body is a temple of the holy spirit

tattoo's deface that temple

in my opinion

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Although we can not magnify the greatness of the LORD we can magnify with his grace our Love for him. What i mean is our own fashion sense and what we like to wear can actually help us to worship the LORD because we feel comfortable keeping in mind tattoos are permanent. Perhaps get a very small tattoo 1st if absolutely convinced God wishes you to get tattoos just in case your wrong and a tattoo detracts from your worship and where that small tattoo for a couple of years 1st to decide whether it increases your love for God or decreases and if it increases than think about larger works perhaps after serious though and prayer. Or even there's that indian stuff that starts with M, can't is called but it is semi permanent and is kind of like a tattoo, perhaps try those a few times and see if your comfortable with having something artful on your skin. The thing that worries me is even though my tattoos are religious themed i kind of wish i hadn't got them, unsure whether it is because there unfinished or just that they make me icky, though right now while i'm typing this my heart is telling me icky icky not good for Tab, i just worry that people can get them and than regret it later on in life religious or not, to be sure to be sure when irish eyes are smiling.

littleadd2, you indeed could be correct, the body is a temple but most which defaces that temple is sin, that's my opinion anyway, some also think the body that saint paul is talking about is the body of christ(all believers) and it is talking about not putting each other down but lifting each other up with encouragement for Jesus says " wherever any two or more are gathered in my name i shall be there", not saying that's a correct interpretation and of course gluttony is a sin.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

PhuturePriest

If ever I were to get a tattoo, I would do exactly this, or with a St. Benedict medal.

The eastern Christians you are thinking of are the Copts. :)
coptic-cross2.png

I got it wrong on which forearm, but this is his tattoo: 

11401342_849738411787369_272490980595625

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

mad missing of words in my last post, weird. fill in the gaps, it's kind of like a guessing game,lol.

and the gluttony comment wasn't directed at you littleadd2, it was just a general comment about what can deface the temple of God if st paul is talking about our individual bodies and not the communal bodies, or perhaps it is a double edged sword and he is talking about both. Idk :)

And some people you give them an inch and they will take a mile and than quote when Jesus states " it is not what goes into our mouths that make us unclean but that which comes out." Which is true but in that gluttony is still a sin, as is greed. 

Perhaps tattoos can become the sin of greed if one gets to many, IF tattoos indeed are not defacing the temple of the holy spirit.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Oh also definitely if tattoos scandalize you, 100% do not get them.

If this doesnt add to my last post sorry for flood i keep loosing my connection and it can take time to re connect.

also we need to recognize as christians that tattoos do scandalise some bretheren and that we probably should get them done in places that can easily be covered up with clothing when around such brothers and sisters in christ, if choosing to get tattoos.

Not that they always need to be covered up but perhaps yes at holy mass and yes if a brother or sister in christ that hangs around you says they hate tattoos so cover up when your around them but the rest of the time its fine to display them in public and of course in public you will run into bretheren that are scandalised by that but i think that's different meeting someone in public as to meeting someone face to face with intention. Something like that anyway, difficult to explain, perhaps i don't understand fully.

also with the whole long hair short hair thing from saint paul, i'm unsure if a man having long hair means everything about him is less holy than a christian man with short hair or whether it is just his hair that is less holy.

God cares about the body too. And He gave many inspirations to the Saints on how to avoid anything imperfect. He often gives us holy inspirations too but its a mystery why some get particular ones. But the theological statements about makeup from St Thomas for example - they can introduce the topic and a person can make this argument from reason too. 

God looks at the heart. But what is His Will regarding something? And if something isn't what He wants, the intent affects culpability but doesnt make that action objectively good for us. 

St. Thomas said women shouldn't drink because they are mentally weaker than men. I've roundly ignored that little bit of advice. Seeing as the early fathers debated whether or not women even have souls it's not the most insulting thing I've heard, but when you tell about half the Catholics they shouldn't drink, well, you're not gonna have a good time..

We should listen to the saints sure, but not everything. Like someone else said they often contradict each other on the non-essentials.

What say you about self-mutilation as it pertains to traditional penitential acts?

St. Thomas said women shouldn't drink because they are mentally weaker than men. I've roundly ignored that little bit of advice. Seeing as the early fathers debated whether or not women even have souls it's not the most insulting thing I've heard, but when you tell about half the Catholics they shouldn't drink, well, you're not gonna have a good time..

Looks like you get your information from the Church's enemies... That the early Church Fathers debated over whether women have souls, is a complete lie: http://www.churchinhistory.org/pages/booklets/women-souls-1.htm

What  someone does to there body,  friend or not,  is none of my business.    I personally would not get a tattoo nor do I find them attractive.

Some people are deeply offended by tattoos ( I am not, again it's not my business )

IE:   my spouse works as a RA  at a extended care facility,  some of the young girls on her staff and have tattoos depicting skull & crossbones or other Satanic  symbols on their arms and elsewhere.   She makes them cover them up because some of the elderly patients (near death) find them  scary  and offensive . 

Is that wrong?

Edited by little2add

I think it all comes down to intention. What are we intending when we do this, that, or the other thing? When someone gets a tattoo, are they intending to win the praise of others, showcase "art" in a misguided way (the human body is not an art gallery) or advertise themselves, etc, or are they intending to remind themselves of God, or hiding a burn or mark that they were not born with, or enhancing their human dignity, etc? Accordingly, it may or may not be sinful. And, because it was brought up, I think that it similar kind of reasoning applies to makeup… in fact, it applies to everything that we do.