An Old School Catholic Message Board

Back from Canada

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

So, weeks ago, I asked many questions about Canada and Québec and received many answers, here is a little recap of my trip to the Belle Province. 

So, I went with one of my closest friend (we are "sisters" ;) ), and first, it was perfect, we never argued. The family that I have here... The two adults are amazing, so loving, and kind, and generous (do you know many people who will give the keys of their houses to two teenagers ?). and they have a 11 years-old daughter who is everything that a kid should be, curious, smart, and her heroe is Louis Cyr, so now, I know everything about the strongest man on earth. 
So, we saw Montréal. I loved the museum (The museum of Contemporary art had good exhibition, and so did the Musée des beaux arts), but the city is top new for my taste. I went to museum, and to see fireworks on the Pont Jacques Cartier. We went to Tadoussac, where we saw WHALES !! Okay, so, I am fond of whales since I'm 4. Every documentary, every movies, every books, about whales, I have seen them, read them, know them by heart. And I can tell you, during the two hours trip, I was always crying :D It's just, it's amazing, animals who are so bigs, and so gracious... Well, anyway, we also made Ottawa where we saw two museums, and a patriotic show about the history of Canada who was really funny (no offence, please canadian). We saw also the Parlament. We slept in a jail who was converted in a Then, we saw the Abbaye du Val Notre Dame, who is a very modern and beautiful abbaye. It was my favorite, because it was the most authentic, the other church we saw where just imitation from the past, I only liked them because you could felt the faith of the people who built them. During a sunday, I went to a maronite mass, where I know someone, and was asked to be an altar server, wich was an honor. I liked it, because arab is a very beautiful things to hear. Btw, québécois make french beautiful, wich is hard because french is not very mélodieux. And last, we saw Québec. I have mixed feeling about it, because while I loved their museum, and the city was lovely, and they had A LOT of second-hand books sellers, there was too much tourism. So, what I liked most in Canada was museum. Really. All interesting, with a very good museography, who highlights local artist... I mean, the Louvres is bigger, but "il n'arrive pas à la cheville" (he is not good compared to) the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal. About food, I confess, I did not like mapple syrup and peanut butter, but I am now the biggest fan of poutine, so I guess I still can move to Canada ? Oh, and we visited two museums about sisters ! One about the Ursuline, and another about the Soeurs du bon pasteur :D ! And also the good news is, that I was able to walk often without being tired :D 
So, I want to come back ! Thank you Canada :D (and Québec. Because if there's one thing that I have heard, it is "nous les québécois, on est pas des canadiens" and "you know, québécois are not canadians" xD)

Spem in alium

I'm so glad you enjoyed Canada. I have just returned from two weeks in Montréal. I didn't get to do any sightseeing really, as it was a research trip, but I found it such a beautiful place. 

truthfinder

Btw, québécois make french beautiful, wich is hard because french is not very mélodieux.

One about the Ursuline, and another about the Soeurs du bon pasteur :D ! And also the good news is, that I was able to walk often without being tired :D 
So, I want to come back ! Thank you Canada :D (and Québec. Because if there's one thing that I have heard, it is "nous les québécois, on est pas des canadiens" and "you know, québécois are not canadians" xD)

Glad you had a good time.  I can't help but laugh at the first comment I've separated out: I have such a hard time understanding Quebecois french (and a derisive statement you'll typically hear is that quebecois is not real French), but I'm pretty good at understanding most French people (some accents are beyond me).  There is certainly a pronunciation shift between Montreal and Quebec.

Also glad you got to go to the Ursuline museum; my whole world practically revolves around the buildings on that street. And your last statement about national identity, it's definitely spot on - it's why they keep trying to leave us every so often (and are recognized as a distinction nation within our constitution). 

AccountDeleted

Glad you had a good time.  I can't help but laugh at the first comment I've separated out: I have such a hard time understanding Quebecois french (and a derisive statement you'll typically hear is that quebecois is not real French), but I'm pretty good at understanding most French people (some accents are beyond me).  There is certainly a pronunciation shift between Montreal and Quebec.

Also glad you got to go to the Ursuline museum; my whole world practically revolves around the buildings on that street. And your last statement about national identity, it's definitely spot on - it's why they keep trying to leave us every so often (and are recognized as a distinction nation within our constitution). 

You both make me laugh about the language. My sister-in-law is Quebecoise and my brother lived in Montreal for 12 years. the French I learned in school was the language of France. Her accent is so sweet and funny but often I can't understand her. My brother, on the other hand, speaks fluent Quebecois French with a very bad accent, and his wife and kids all tease him about it - but he did business in Montreal for 12 years speaking it, so at least he can be understood! I, on the other hand, with my high school French, speak slowly and have trouble understanding both of them. The only time I really felt fluent in French was when my SIL's mother came to California to stay for a few weeks. Her English is almost non-existent and so is my French tourist stuff). But I found the more wine we drank together, the more fluent each of us got in the other's language and the better we understood each other. A miracle, or were we just drunk? :) 

MarysLittleFlower

Is the Ursuline museum in Montreal or Quebec City? What do they have there? I never heard of it!

MarysLittleFlower

Thanks! :) yes we would be grateful for shovelling help especially in PEI ;)http://m.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2015-02-17/article-4045601/Another-snow-day-today-and-more-snow-coming-Thursday-to-Prince-Edward-Island/1

I went to Quebec City recently and visited the relics of Blessed Dina Belanger! :) it was amazing :D her tomb is in the Convent of Jesus and Mary in Sillery. She's a very special Blessed whom I was happy to discover this year!

truthfinder

Is the Ursuline museum in Montreal or Quebec City? What do they have there? I never heard of it!

It's in Quebec City beside the Ursuline chapel (but I believe it's run by the province now).  It's very good and will typically have some items from archeological findings; items from their very famous embroidery and other crafts, and then usually special exhibits, which include how their students lived and were taught, and one room on the vocation of the nuns themselves. 

NadaTeTurbe

About languages, I think québécois speak the French that was spoken 300 years ago, so it's really curious to hear it/see it. And it's funny, because it sounds like a song. Also, they are super proud to speak french, like they translate everything (week-end = fin de semaine, drive-in = service au volant, etc...). I wish we did the same here ! 

I just heard that there is a poutine restaurant at Lyon, 5 hours in car of distance from city. Poutine's worth it. Seriously. I want more poutine in my life. 
Also, I tasted some very very good cheese, while in Ottawa. 

The Ursuline museum is in Québec City. When we were in it, there was an exposition about embroidery, their boarding school, and their daily lives, AND, the best, there is a library full of old books (learning books, story, religious books for novice), from 1836 to 1970, that you can freely take and read. We spend one hour at the library ! 

I live in a part of France where school are closed and bus are canceled when there's snow, not sure if I can help to shovel :D 

truthfinder

About languages, I think québécois speak the French that was spoken 300 years ago, so it's really curious to hear it/see it. And it's funny, because it sounds like a song. Also, they are super proud to speak french, like they translate everything (week-end = fin de semaine, drive-in = service au volant, etc...). I wish we did the same here ! 

Yep, you'll also get a lot of terms that have nautical references because of this. For example: instead of descendre it's more commonly desbarquer (for things like getting off the bus).

NadaTeTurbe

And they use some words that are very old in France, like chandail for T-shirt. Sometimes, differences between words can be funny, like when they ask you if you want a camisole", wich means a shirt in Québec, and straitjacket in France. 

And they use some words that are very old in France, like chandail for T-shirt. Sometimes, differences between words can be funny, like when they ask you if you want a camisole", wich means a shirt in Québec, and straitjacket in France. 

Haha!

I have just been whale-watching too! I know what you mean - I was stunned by them. I wasn't expecting to have such a strong emotional reaction to them. They were curious about our boat and it seemed as though they were trying to interact with us a little bit. A friend gave me a small silver pendant in the shape of a whale's tail as a memento of that trip and I will treasure it. It was such a wonderful day. I'm glad you had fun as well. :)