An Old School Catholic Message Board

Defending a Desire Not to Marry

AuthorOfMyLife

orapronobis

, and I work from home (I am an artist and embroiderer, and I sell the items I make, which are mostly religious items, on Etsy).

Just wondering,  can you provide the link for your Etsy? Sounds like the kind of stuff I'd buy! :) 

MarysLittleFlower

Just wondering,  can you provide the link for your Etsy? Sounds like the kind of stuff I'd buy! :) 

I'd be interested too! :) 

I just want to say I ordered an embroidered scapular from AuthorOfMyLife, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I'm attaching a photo. My scapular has the Sacred Heart on one side and the Immaculate Heart on the other, so I like to put it on after I've finished my morning meditation and offering (I pray the simple traditional "Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you" several times). Her shop is here. She has a beautiful ministry. :)

Scapular.jpg

AuthorOfMyLife

I just want to say I ordered an embroidered scapular from AuthorOfMyLife, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I'm attaching a photo. My scapular has the Sacred Heart on one side and the Immaculate Heart on the other, so I like to put it on after I've finished my morning meditation and offering (I pray the simple traditional "Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you" several times). Her shop is here. She has a beautiful ministry. :)

Thank you so much, Beatitude! You were my very first customer when I was a brand new and very nervous Etsy seller, and I was (and still am) very grateful for that first purchase! I'm so happy to see your scapular is still in good shape! (You must take very good care of it). :) 

Thank you for linking to my shop, too. I would have done that, but I didn't want to be self-advertising too much (lol)! I know there aren't any scapulars in my shop at the moment (to see what kind of scapulars I sell anyone who is interested might check the "sales" page here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StellaMarigoldArt/sold?ref=shopinfo_sales_leftnav), but I have about twenty scapulars and medals ready to list! I'm just waiting to hear back from someone, and then I will make them available.

MarysLittleFlower

Oooh I've seen your page before! :) the scapulars are beautiful! I remember looking at them. I would love to buy one someday when I have spending money again lol :D by the way I'm happy to see someone doing embroidery.I like all those sort of things too

AuthorOfMyLife

Oooh I've seen your page before! :) the scapulars are beautiful! I remember looking at them. I would love to buy one someday when I have spending money again lol :D by the way I'm happy to see someone doing embroidery.I like all those sort of things too

Thank you! I love all kinds of arts and crafts (sadly, there isn't enough time for all of them), but I especially love embroidering these items. I have really been inspired by antique French and Mexican fabric "shrines" (they are just gorgeous). Anyway, in contradiction to my earlier post, NOW there are scapulars in the shop! I just listed some new ones (and some new medals) this morning. 

Lilllabettt

I used to tell people I didn't want to get married. And then 99% of the time they would say "oh, of course you do" or "you just haven't met the right person yet." 

Ugh it fills me up with incandescent rage just thinking of it. Because 1. Annoying 2. Way to be dismissive and basically tell a girl she don't know what she's talking about and 3. Just UGH. UGH UGH UGH.

Don't ever say that kind of thing to a girl who says "I don't want to get married" or "I don't want to have kids" or "I don't want to buy a house" or whatever. It's cruel and just a bush league move.

I used to tell people I didn't want to get married. And then 99% of the time they would say "oh, of course you do" or "you just haven't met the right person yet." 

Ugh it fills me up with incandescent rage just thinking of it. Because 1. Annoying 2. Way to be dismissive and basically tell a girl she don't know what she's talking about and 3. Just UGH. UGH UGH UGH.

Seconding you on the 'ughs'. My parents do this to me from time to time. A couple of years ago I thought they had finally got it - my dad remarked, "I think you're happy on your own", but before I could celebrate too much, he ruined it with, "I didn't expect to meet anyone either until your mum came along." They were married in their mid-thirties and I think they expect something similar to occur to me. It annoys me like heck. If someone says, "I really want to be married one day", no one goes, "Are you SURE about that? Well, I used to think I wanted to be married, but then I..." I might try this line the next time I get "you'll change your mind someday" from an unmarried person.

MarysLittleFlower

yup its pretty annoying though they mean well. I don't know how to explain that - "REALLY I don't. Really. " :P what a convincing argument.