An Old School Catholic Message Board

Churchly Humility

marigold

AccountDeleted

I can sympathise with that confusion and fear of making the wrong choice, MLF. I don't feel the fear so much as frustration that I can't resolve the issue. I considered the Catholic Church in my teens, went to church and read some books. I grew up within walking distance of Notting Hill Carmel, and would sometimes go and walk by the 9-metre walls and daydream about what was on the other side. But in the end, like you, it seemed to be grace that won the day when I a couple of years later discovered an Orthodox parish and 'the rest was history'... I try to maintain friendly links, I enjoy Phatmass, and occasionally pop in to a mass just to see what's going on. I'm sure that makes me as bad as a heretic, to some :) But I try to keep an open heart, not have any axes to grind, and be on the lookout for truth over and above what my personal preferences are. I think that's all God can ask anyone on either side... 

Marigold

I certainly hope there is non one here who makes you feel like a heretic! If there is, they should be ashamed to be a Catholic. You are a wonderful addition to our phamily and I have really enjoyed reading your posts about the Orthodox Church and especially about the religious life in the Orthodox Church. God calls each of us in a personal and unique way and He will take each of us where He wants us to go as long as we love Him and trust Him in faith and hope and in charity for others.

Marigold

I certainly hope there is non one here who makes you feel like a heretic! If there is, they should be ashamed to be a Catholic. You are a wonderful addition to our phamily and I have really enjoyed reading your posts about the Orthodox Church and especially about the religious life in the Orthodox Church. God calls each of us in a personal and unique way and He will take each of us where He wants us to go as long as we love Him and trust Him in faith and hope and in charity for others.

Oh no, not at all! I meant that some of my fellow Orthodox might frown on my visiting Catholic churches from time to time. Phatmassers have always been friendly to me on a personal level.

AccountDeleted

Oh no, not at all! I meant that some of my fellow Orthodox might frown on my visiting Catholic churches from time to time. Phatmassers have always been friendly to me on a personal level.

That just goes to show me how unreliable it is to expect any kind of communication to really happen on the Internet! LOL I completely misinterpreted what you said. That happens a lot online, I know, but this one was so obvious, now that you explain it to me. 

Thanks for the laugh.

By the way, I do hope your fellow Orthodox won't make you feel bad. If they do, tell them nunsense is very disappointed with them. :smile3:

Credo in Deum

Thanks for the article, @marigold

I agree with Fr. remark about this idea of "betterment".  I've always felt that the Church cannot be better since the Church is perfect, because Christ is perfect.  Some of my friends have asked me, "how can you continue to be Catholic when there are so many scandals?!", and I just reply, "how did St. John arrive at the foot of the Cross after witnessing Judas' betrayal? Peter's denial? or the other 9 apostles disappearance?" The Church from its conception has been rocked by scandals, but none of them have, or could, change the perfect Truth, Who is Jesus Christ.  There is no such thing as truth and "better" truth.  There exists only Truth and He is Perfect.   Also did St. John go to Christ after these scandals and say, "hey you need to be better!"?  No, St. John rather moved closer to Christ, by drawing closer to Mary, and he made sure he lived for Christ, with Christ, and through Christ.  

This Life, Christ's Life, is the Sacramental Life of the Church.  And when scandals have us upset and distraught, we should draw closer to Mary, who will lead us to Her Son in the Sacraments. Her Son Who will make US better Christians.