PhuturePriest

Political Candidates

GOP Candidates  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which candidate are you supporting at this point?

• Trump (If anyone seriously chooses this one I'm disowning you as a member of the phamily)
    • Rubio
    • Bush
    • Santorum
    • Carson
    • Christie
    • Cruz
    • Jindall
    • Paul
    • Santorum
    • Walker
    • Someone Else
    • Nobody

PhuturePriest

I'm a Rubio man myself, as is time-honored Kujo. Kasich seems tolerable enough, but at this point Rubio is the only one who I honestly like as a candidate. Santorum would be nice, but he has as much of a chance to get elected as I do, especially considering the Supreme Court ruling. 

Which one do you like? Why? 

dUSt

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Republican Candidates"?

I'll take the best Catholic out of these: Rubio, Bush, Santorum, Christie, Jindall, Santorum.

Whoever went to adoration the most in the past year gets my vote.

Nihil Obstat

I kind of like Bobby Jindal. Seems like a pretty decent guy. Is he really in the running in any relevant sense?

CrossCuT

Bernie Sanders

I kind of like Bobby Jindal. Seems like a pretty decent guy. Is he really in the running in any relevant sense?

last article I read said he had already burned through most of his money so he will be slowly dying out of the race.

Nihil Obstat

last article I read said he had already burned through most of his money so he will be slowly dying out of the race.

Too bad.

CrossCuT

Too bad.

I agree! The article I read was an extensive one from NPR and discussed campaign finances.  It was very interesring. But they noted that the front runners will be candidates with the largest funds to spend. So when we elect the person with the most money spent on their campaign, do we still have democracy?

Ancilla Domini

Vermin Supreme has my vote. He has promised that if he is elected president, he will provide each and every American with a free pony, which he will then require people to take around everywhere with them, as a form of identification. He is battling gingivitis and will require "mandatory tooth-brushing" when he is president.

"America, my name is Vermin Supreme. I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust, and you should let me run your life because I do know what is best for you." - Vermin Supreme

CrossCuT

Are there campaign spending limits? There are rather strict ones in Canada.

There is a maximum to the amount you can donate to a singular campaign, but there are PLENTY of (intentional?) loop holes to get around it. For instance, Super pacs are basically organizations that can accept donations from ANYONE (persons or corporations) so long as the super pac is not directly run by the candidate. Billions of dollars are being donated to a candidates super pacs so it really makes the campaign donation limit irrelevant.

Now Im not an expert on this, but thats basically how it works. I should find the NPR article for you because it was quite informative. Right now the highest money raised overall per candidate puts Hilary in the lead followed (farther behind) by Bernie Sanders and I believe Ted Cruz? I cant remember exactly...but by this time that could have changed. 

The article also broke the candidates down by their top contributes...for instance Bernie Sanders was #1 for "small doners" aka real people giving small amounts like a couple hundred at a time. But the largest was Hilary by farrrr and that is also highly due to her super pac and the very wealthy corporate donors etc.

And then they said Jeb Bush for instance has spent and equivalent amount of his own money as was donated by others on his own campaign. They also discussed strategies and how its good to build up your money in the beginning and use it sparsely, but as the actual election gets closer, that is when you really burn it up on advertising etc etc. Which is why they talked about Bobby J. already using up most of his funds early in the race which leaves little hope for him at the end. 

Edited by CrossCuT

KnightofChrist

darmok.jpg

The only ticket I'm voting for.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Ice_nine

I might vote for Rand Paul because his dad is a pretty cool guy. That or whoever has the best hair. But most presidents' hair starts to gray while in office :/. Tough decisions.

NadaTeTurbe

Vermin Supreme has my vote. He has promised that if he is elected president, he will provide each and every American with a free pony, which he will then require people to take around everywhere with them, as a form of identification. He is battling gingivitis and will require "mandatory tooth-brushing" when he is president.

"America, my name is Vermin Supreme. I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust, and you should let me run your life because I do know what is best for you." - Vermin Supreme

I want him as a world president. 

All this big companies giving such big amount of monney is an open door for corruption. Like Nihil Obstat, is there any limits ? I think in France we have, too. 

CrossCuT

I want him as a world president. 
All this big companies giving such big amount of monney is an open door for corruption. Like Nihil Obstat, is there any limits ? I think in France we have, too. 

There are no limits on SuperPACs. If we overturned Citizens United in the US, that would help fix things however at this time in the US, free speech = money so there is not much we can do.

And i concur. I really like the way elections happen in Europe. I know in Britain, candidates can ONLY campaign the 6 months before the election and everyone gets a small but equal amount of spending money from the government. They are not allowed to advertise on TV or another other huge medium so its mostly done through billboard signs and street pamphlets. 

Edited by CrossCuT

NadaTeTurbe

It's a little the same in France, excep they are allowed to advertise on TV : something like 30 or 40 minutes before the 8 am news, ever political party (from the biggest to the very little) get the same screen time to show a little clip. There's also a law that say that all the party must have the same time of interview (i.ie, if the 8 am news give 30 minutes of interview to the UMP [now called The Republicans, but I just can't], then they must give 30 minutes of interview to other candidate). I mean, don't you wish that pony guy get the same screen time than Hillary ?

CrossCuT

It's a little the same in France, excep they are allowed to advertise on TV : something like 30 or 40 minutes before the 8 am news, ever political party (from the biggest to the very little) get the same screen time to show a little clip. There's also a law that say that all the party must have the same time of interview (i.ie, if the 8 am news give 30 minutes of interview to the UMP [now called The Republicans, but I just can't], then they must give 30 minutes of interview to other candidate). I mean, don't you wish that pony guy get the same screen time than Hillary ?

it should be more like this in the us alas the presidency will go to the highest bidder (or one of the highest)

PhuturePriest

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Republican Candidates"?

I'll take the best Catholic out of these: Rubio, Bush, Santorum, Christie, Jindall, Santorum.

Whoever went to adoration the most in the past year gets my vote.

As Hillary Clinton is the clear Democrat nomination, it's safe to assume "candidates" is referring to the Republicans.

I'm writing a series of all the Catholic Republican candidates, as well as my colleague. The articles show none of the candidates are very good speaking in the Catholic sense:

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/rick-santorum

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/catholic-candidate-profile-jeb-bush2

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/chris-christie

I think we're addressing Jindall tomorrow. In essence, he's a flip-flopper on contraception, unfortunately, and as contraception and abortion go hand-in-hand, his beliefs against abortion are fundamentally in jeopardy.