An Old School Catholic Message Board

Political Candidates

PhuturePriest

GOP Candidates  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

I'm a Rubio man myself, as is time-honored Kujo. Kasich seems tolerable enough, but at this point Rubio is the only one who I honestly like as a candidate. Santorum would be nice, but he has as much of a chance to get elected as I do, especially considering the Supreme Court ruling. 

Which one do you like? Why? 

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Republican Candidates"?

I'll take the best Catholic out of these: Rubio, Bush, Santorum, Christie, Jindall, Santorum.

Whoever went to adoration the most in the past year gets my vote.

Nihil Obstat

I kind of like Bobby Jindal. Seems like a pretty decent guy. Is he really in the running in any relevant sense?

Bernie Sanders

I kind of like Bobby Jindal. Seems like a pretty decent guy. Is he really in the running in any relevant sense?

last article I read said he had already burned through most of his money so he will be slowly dying out of the race.

Nihil Obstat

last article I read said he had already burned through most of his money so he will be slowly dying out of the race.

Too bad.

Too bad.

I agree! The article I read was an extensive one from NPR and discussed campaign finances.  It was very interesring. But they noted that the front runners will be candidates with the largest funds to spend. So when we elect the person with the most money spent on their campaign, do we still have democracy?

Ancilla Domini

Vermin Supreme has my vote. He has promised that if he is elected president, he will provide each and every American with a free pony, which he will then require people to take around everywhere with them, as a form of identification. He is battling gingivitis and will require "mandatory tooth-brushing" when he is president.

"America, my name is Vermin Supreme. I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust, and you should let me run your life because I do know what is best for you." - Vermin Supreme

Are there campaign spending limits? There are rather strict ones in Canada.

There is a maximum to the amount you can donate to a singular campaign, but there are PLENTY of (intentional?) loop holes to get around it. For instance, Super pacs are basically organizations that can accept donations from ANYONE (persons or corporations) so long as the super pac is not directly run by the candidate. Billions of dollars are being donated to a candidates super pacs so it really makes the campaign donation limit irrelevant.

Now Im not an expert on this, but thats basically how it works. I should find the NPR article for you because it was quite informative. Right now the highest money raised overall per candidate puts Hilary in the lead followed (farther behind) by Bernie Sanders and I believe Ted Cruz? I cant remember exactly...but by this time that could have changed. 

The article also broke the candidates down by their top contributes...for instance Bernie Sanders was #1 for "small doners" aka real people giving small amounts like a couple hundred at a time. But the largest was Hilary by farrrr and that is also highly due to her super pac and the very wealthy corporate donors etc.

And then they said Jeb Bush for instance has spent and equivalent amount of his own money as was donated by others on his own campaign. They also discussed strategies and how its good to build up your money in the beginning and use it sparsely, but as the actual election gets closer, that is when you really burn it up on advertising etc etc. Which is why they talked about Bobby J. already using up most of his funds early in the race which leaves little hope for him at the end. 

Edited by CrossCuT

I might vote for Rand Paul because his dad is a pretty cool guy. That or whoever has the best hair. But most presidents' hair starts to gray while in office :/. Tough decisions.

NadaTeTurbe

Vermin Supreme has my vote. He has promised that if he is elected president, he will provide each and every American with a free pony, which he will then require people to take around everywhere with them, as a form of identification. He is battling gingivitis and will require "mandatory tooth-brushing" when he is president.

"America, my name is Vermin Supreme. I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust, and you should let me run your life because I do know what is best for you." - Vermin Supreme

I want him as a world president. 

All this big companies giving such big amount of monney is an open door for corruption. Like Nihil Obstat, is there any limits ? I think in France we have, too.