An Old School Catholic Message Board

Political Candidates

PhuturePriest

GOP Candidates  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want him as a world president. 
All this big companies giving such big amount of monney is an open door for corruption. Like Nihil Obstat, is there any limits ? I think in France we have, too. 

There are no limits on SuperPACs. If we overturned Citizens United in the US, that would help fix things however at this time in the US, free speech = money so there is not much we can do.

And i concur. I really like the way elections happen in Europe. I know in Britain, candidates can ONLY campaign the 6 months before the election and everyone gets a small but equal amount of spending money from the government. They are not allowed to advertise on TV or another other huge medium so its mostly done through billboard signs and street pamphlets. 

Edited by CrossCuT

NadaTeTurbe

It's a little the same in France, excep they are allowed to advertise on TV : something like 30 or 40 minutes before the 8 am news, ever political party (from the biggest to the very little) get the same screen time to show a little clip. There's also a law that say that all the party must have the same time of interview (i.ie, if the 8 am news give 30 minutes of interview to the UMP [now called The Republicans, but I just can't], then they must give 30 minutes of interview to other candidate). I mean, don't you wish that pony guy get the same screen time than Hillary ?

It's a little the same in France, excep they are allowed to advertise on TV : something like 30 or 40 minutes before the 8 am news, ever political party (from the biggest to the very little) get the same screen time to show a little clip. There's also a law that say that all the party must have the same time of interview (i.ie, if the 8 am news give 30 minutes of interview to the UMP [now called The Republicans, but I just can't], then they must give 30 minutes of interview to other candidate). I mean, don't you wish that pony guy get the same screen time than Hillary ?

it should be more like this in the us alas the presidency will go to the highest bidder (or one of the highest)

NadaTeTurbe

Can you give a link to your article ? 

Can candidates receive monney from foreign country or organization ? 

PhuturePriest

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Republican Candidates"?

I'll take the best Catholic out of these: Rubio, Bush, Santorum, Christie, Jindall, Santorum.

Whoever went to adoration the most in the past year gets my vote.

As Hillary Clinton is the clear Democrat nomination, it's safe to assume "candidates" is referring to the Republicans.

I kind of like Bobby Jindal. Seems like a pretty decent guy. Is he really in the running in any relevant sense?

I'm writing a series of all the Catholic Republican candidates, as well as my colleague. The articles show none of the candidates are very good speaking in the Catholic sense:

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/rick-santorum

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/catholic-candidate-profile-jeb-bush2

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/chris-christie

I think we're addressing Jindall tomorrow. In essence, he's a flip-flopper on contraception, unfortunately, and as contraception and abortion go hand-in-hand, his beliefs against abortion are fundamentally in jeopardy. 

Can you give a link to your article ? 

Can candidates receive monney from foreign country or organization ? 

I've been trying to find it but I'm having no luck! I read it a couple weeks ago but I'll keep looking. 

II'm also unsure how much foreign countries can donate if at all. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was another loop hole that allowed them to.

NadaTeTurbe

http://www.wnyc.org/story/181667-explainer-can-foreign-companies-make-political-donations/ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/18/foreign-money-campaign-finance-lobbying_n_897189.html So, in a way, they legally can, and when they legally can't, they do it anyway. 

WHen I'm looking for something I read weeks ago, I try to look on my internet historic, if I can remember when I was on the website, if it can help... 

Lilllabettt

I'm a Rubio man myself, as is time-honored Kujo. Kasich seems tolerable enough, but at this point Rubio is the only one who I honestly like as a candidate. Santorum would be nice, but he has as much of a chance to get elected as I do, especially considering the Supreme Court ruling. 

Which one do you like? Why? 

Thus far I like Rubio.

Pros: Has interesting things to say. Has ideas.  Not just ready for prime-time -  more ready than any candidate from either party. 

Cons: Appears to be around 12 years old. Signification risk of tea party contagion.

Found the article!

NPR: 5 Things We've Learned About 2016 Presidential Fundraising

These superPACs aren't constrained by donation limits (like campaigns are) and can still run ads in support of particular candidates. One trade-off is that they are not allowed to give money directly to campaigns, nor are they allowed to coordinate their efforts with political campaigns.

But that doesn't mean they're run by outsiders. Take Clinton's main superPAC, for instance — it's run by Guy Cecil, who was her 2008 campaign political director. Likewise, strategist Mike Murphy, who has worked with Jeb Bush since the 1990s, is running Bush's superPAC, Right to Rise.

One other thing to keep in mind: Even the superPACs and the campaign fundraising don't tell the full story on how much support a candidate has. Some candidates also have nonprofit groups known as 501(c)(4)s on their sides — groups that, unlike superPACs and campaigns, do not have to disclose their donors at all, as Washington Post's Matea Gold reports.

I always find it amusing that these people are raising millions to billions of dollars to get a job that pays $400k/year all the while trying to convince you they understand and identify with the middle class, working poor, and otherwise. 

Edited by CrossCuT

Nihil Obstat

As Hillary Clinton is the clear Democrat nomination, it's safe to assume "candidates" is referring to the Republicans.

I'm writing a series of all the Catholic Republican candidates, as well as my colleague. The articles show none of the candidates are very good speaking in the Catholic sense:

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/rick-santorum

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/catholic-candidate-profile-jeb-bush2

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/chris-christie

I think we're addressing Jindall tomorrow. In essence, he's a flip-flopper on contraception, unfortunately, and as contraception and abortion go hand-in-hand, his beliefs against abortion are fundamentally in jeopardy. 

Unfortunate.

Rubio is weird. He went from Catholic, to Mormon, back to Catholic, to now a Catholic who also attends a non-denominational church?

Lilllabettt

To be fair, his parents made the family leave the Church for Mormonsim when he was a kid - like 8 years old. It's not like he has been converting back and forth to different things all the time as an adult.

Marco Rubio on why he returned to the Catholic Church: 

Rubio wrote that Christ Fellowship deepened his relationship with Jesus, but that he missed Roman Catholicism. “I craved, literally, the Most Blessed Sacrament, Holy Communion, the sacramental point of contact between the Catholic and the liturgy of heaven,” he wrote. “I wondered why there couldn’t be a church that offered both a powerful, contemporary gospel message and the actual body and blood of Jesus.”  source

Seems legit. we all know homilies in the Church can be pretty bad.

I don't think the religion changes are evidence of lack of judgment/deep thinking. Which is what I care about ... since I am not planning to  base my vote on a candidate's religion.

Edited by Lilllabettt

This current field of candidates makes me miss Romney. :x

Kidding, but only kind of. I think the only one I'm even slightly in support of would be Kasich, and I've hated having him as my governor, though he was certainly better than Ted Strickland.