An Old School Catholic Message Board

Political Candidates

PhuturePriest

GOP Candidates  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't waste time by voting.

Instead waste more time by endlessly posting on teh interwebz about what a waste of time it is.  That'll keep the statist bastages out of power!

Except, that's not my argument.

But honest representation of the opposition has never been your forte.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/the essence of cow

The fact is that Dr. Carson has made immensely greater positive contributions to society than Barry Obama, Al Sharpton, or any number of other self-appointed "Black leaders."

Just replace "The fact is" with "My opinion is" and you have a valid statement. Feel free to start a new tread on that topic if you desire.

It's the lack of offense at similar comparisons of things to slavery when made by folks on the Left (which are common) that needs explaining.

It's not a comparison with slavery that makes Carson's comments offensive. But you are getting warmer.

While you haven't told your own thoughts on Biden's remark, there seemed to be very little outrage about it from the left (if there was, I was unaware of it), and apparently none from the black audience cheering him afterwards.  

I wouldn't exactly call this cheering:

It's the lack of offense at similar comparisons of things to slavery when made by folks on the Left (which are common) that needs explaining.  

While you haven't told your own thoughts on Biden's remark, there seemed to be very little outrage about it from the left (if there was, I was unaware of it), and apparently none from the black audience cheering him afterwards.  You yourself seem a lot more upset over what Carson said.

To give another example, last spring Al Sharpton compared Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act to slavery and Jim Crow.  Is any one calling him an "Uncle Tom" or "clown in blackface"?

You asked me for an example and I gave you an example.

But concerning the argument itself please let me refer you to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Tu quoque (/tˈkwkw/;[1]Latin for "you, too" or "you, also") or the appeal to hypocrisy is an informal logical fallacy that intends to discredit the validity of the opponent's logical argument by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with its conclusion(s).

Your argument is very similar to the "black on black crime" response to accusations of police misconduct, is it not?

Instead of saying "Yes, those comments were wrong and he should be held accountable" or "No, those comments were not wrong and he should not be held accountable", your response seems to be "Oh yeah? Well - you did not complain when XYZ said ABC!"

The fact that person A has not attempted to hold person B accountable for comment X does not constitute an argument that person A is not justified in attempting to hold person C accountable for comment Y.

It seems like a bit of a red herring.

Edited by Peace

Just replace "The fact is" with "My opinion is" and you have a valid statement. Feel free to start a new tread on that topic if you desire.

It's not a comparison with slavery that makes Carson's comments offensive. But you are getting warmer.

I stand by what I said 100%.  

Of course, if you really think you can make a case to the contrary, feel free to start a new thread.

You asked me for an example and I gave you an example.

But concerning the argument itself please let me refer you to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Your argument is very similar to the "black on black crime" response to accusations of police misconduct, is it not?

Instead of saying "Yes, those comments were wrong and he should be held accountable" or "No, those comments were not wrong and he should not be held accountable", your response seems to be "Oh yeah? Well - you did not complain when XYZ said ABC!"

The fact that person A has not attempted to hold person B accountable for comment X does not constitute an argument that person A is not justified in attempting to hold person C accountable for comment Y.

It seems like a bit of a red herring.

I'm simply pointing out that the "outrage" by the left is just the pot calling the kettle black.  

Not an unusual thing in partisan politics, which is all that's going on here.