An Old School Catholic Message Board

Political Candidates

PhuturePriest

GOP Candidates  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

This current field of candidates makes me miss Romney. :x

Kidding, but only kind of. I think the only one I'm even slightly in support of would be Kasich, and I've hated having him as my governor, though he was certainly better than Ted Strickland. 

Read my review of him tomorrow.

Ted Cruz, because he's one of the very few conservative politicians who's actually consistently put his money (or vote) where his mouth is, and he's taken a public stand against the crooked and phony "leadership" of McConnell.  (96% score on conservative review, only Mike Lee scores higher among senators.  https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/ted-cruz)  

Cons: Appears to be around 12 years old. Signification risk of tea party contagion.

OOOoooooooh! That awful Tea Party!

Nihil Obstat

Trump will do as good and not wore than Reagan.

Apparently Trump is an utter moron who cannot string together a coherent sentence. :|
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=20490

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it's not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven't figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it's gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Lilllabettt

Ted Cruz, because he's one of the very few conservative politicians who's actually consistently put his money (or vote) where his mouth is, and he's taken a public stand against the crooked and phony "leadership" of McConnell.  (96% score on conservative review, only Mike Lee scores higher among senators.  https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/ted-cruz)  

OOOoooooooh! That awful Tea Party!

Yes, the Tea Party is awful. Politics is “the art of the possible.”  The Tea Party is led by people who advertise their inability to work towards what is possible.  They are bad at their jobs. And they are not any “cleaner” than mainstream politicians, either. I have seen Ted Cruz meet the press a bazillion times, and each time he is spinning like a washing machine. Not outright lying (very few politicians outright lie) but spinning. When he is on I can sit there with a copy of the talking points and listen to him basically read down the list.  The Tea Party rank and file don’t want to see this or they haven’t looked. They believe their leaders are “special” or “anointed.” It’s sad.

The Tea Party rank and file are overwhelmingly white and evangelical Christian; disproportionately fundamentalist and male. And old. They are fired up because they see the demographics and they know their time has come. But ALL is not lost.

The ground is soft on abortion right now, softer than at any time since Roe v Wade.  Younger people are biased towards the extension of individual rights and tend to favor more abortion restrictions. Hispanics are disproportionately pro-life. The pro-choicers feel the ground shifting under them, and they are panicking. The gay rights movement has done us the favor of erecting a conceptual scaffold and language in the culture . All that we have to do is climb that scaffold.

This is the moment where the Republican party can be reborn for the 21st century.

If I know conservatives, they will find a way to blow it.  Probably by nominating a cartoon character (Trump, Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee etc.) instead of  someone who can represent the younger more diverse Republicans who are the future of the party.  An older/white/fundamentalist male cannot climb the scaffold, friends. They cannot do it.

TheLittlestFlower

Unfortunate.

I'm so conflicted about voting this year. It's like a game of "choose the lesser of two evils." Sigh.

Canadian election coming up too, this October.

meh.   That's as important as Sophomore Class vice-President in high school.  

An older/white/fundamentalist male cannot climb the scaffold, friends. They cannot do it.

not sure if that's racist, stereo type, bigotry, ideological, close minded, myopic, sophomoric, sexist, intolerant, or brilliance beyond my comprehension.  

Lilllabettt

not sure if that's racist, stereo type, bigotry, ideological, close minded, myopic, sophomoric, sexist, intolerant, or brilliance beyond my comprehension.  

Is what it is, my friend. When large swaths of the country see an old white fundamentalist Christian Republican man, they proceed to ignore everything he might have to say to them. If such a person starts campaigning for equal rights for the unborn, they will be dismissed as a hypocrite. Is what it is.

Nihil Obstat

meh.   That's as important as Sophomore Class vice-President in high school.  

Maybe, if the sophomore class is far more economically and socially well off than the seniors. :|

LOL. True dat.  If we could really see our own hypocrisy, we'd all want to smoke more pot.  :dance4: