An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Dominican Souls Here?

Kateri89

AveMariaPurissima

I :heart::heart::heart: Dominicans!!! :nun:  

...Although the Franciscans are trying to work their way into my heart now...and thanks to St. Thérèse, the Carmelites were my first love, lo those many years ago :P Frankly, I don't know what's going on in my heart these days! :idontknow:

Sorry Vee. Even if I fit the Carmelite charism  (which I don't) I look terrible in brown! :)

Note in case it wasn't obvious: The above was a joke. I would never pick a Community based on the way I looked in the habit. However, the statement that I'm not a Carmelite (or a Franciscan or a Poor Clare) is true. Besides, the whole thing is moot since I'm not only not Catholic, but I have health problems that would be a canonical impediment to Community life. I'm a lonely little petunia among all of you rose petals. :idontknow:

If you were to become Catholic, there are always third orders and even secular institutes. We like petunias, and there are secular institutes that are Dominican in spirituality, or at least with a Dominican influence. *looks suggestively in the direction of the Tiber*

IgnatiusofLoyola

If you were to become Catholic, there are always third orders and even secular institutes. We like petunias, and there are secular institutes that are Dominican in spirituality, or at least with a Dominican influence. *looks suggestively in the direction of the Tiber*

Beatitude--You are one of the most kind and wise people here on Phatmass. Your posts are so often the voice of maturity that is needed.

I can't in good conscience become Catholic. There are too many Roman Catholic beliefs that I either outright disagree with or I'm not sure about. I've thought about Catholicism a lot, and I've searched right down to the core of my basic values. In the end, there are some beliefs/practices I just can't embrace, and the lack of humility I see so often on Phatmass doesn't help.

Some of us are still called to swim in the Thames rather than the Tiber. Many Anglicans are very wise. I smiled the other day when I read a very conservative Catholic article here on Phatmass that opened with a quote by C.S. Lewis. :) And, as I've mentioned before, the Blessed John Henry Newman was an Anglican priest for 22 years before he converted--that gives me 17 years or so. :)

Also as I've said before, if anyone here wants to pray for me to convert they are free to do so. (Not that I could stop them.)

All I ask is respect that God deals with people in different ways, and the vast majority of Phatmassers are respectful. The others I have on "ignore," combined with the fact that I choose to read less than half of the threads on Phatmass. I have been on Phatmass more than 5 years now, and the same topics keep coming up. Personally, I have no need to discuss the same topic for the 10th time, although I understand that newer, younger members might need to do so.

Also, I'm not so wise that everyone needs my opinion on every subject (and I'm just too tired to fight anymore). I thought I had all the answers when I was in my teens and twenties. I know better now. It's hard sometimes, but I'm trying to accept that there are some lessons that only time can teach, and no matter what I say, younger people will not believe what I have learned from experience. I was no better when I was in my twenties. How can I expect it of others? By the time the young ones learn those lessons, I'll be gone, but I live in hope that we will live peacefully together in heaven.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I was teasing (mostly). :) My dad is Anglican, one of my closest friends is an Anglo-Catholic in the same position you are, and the student Christian group I attend when in the UK is predominantly Anglican and Methodist, so I would never discount the value of the Anglican church. It would be a bit hard for any English Catholic to do that - the history of the two churches in the UK isn't all conflict and shadow, and there is a lot to appreciate. However, I think it's true that we do have more varied forms of consecrated life for women in the Catholic Church, in spite of the fact that there is no women's ordination, which is partly why I mentioned it - there is definitely a place for petunias as well as roses.

Sorry Vee. Even if I fit the Carmelite charism  (which I don't) I look terrible in brown! :)

Note in case it wasn't obvious: The above was a joke. I would never pick a Community based on the way I looked in the habit. However, the statement that I'm not a Carmelite (or a Franciscan or a Poor Clare) is true. Besides, the whole thing is moot since I'm not only not Catholic, but I have health problems that would be a canonical impediment to Community life. I'm a lonely little petunia among all of you rose petals. :idontknow:

I'm a venus fly trap, fwiw.

orapronobis

I'm Benedictine through and through but I do admit that the Dominican cloistered life is one of the most beautiful forms of consecrated life (in my opinion, that is.)