An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blessed Elena Aiello

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I'm not debating! :) I believe God's Will should be the primary love and rule of our life. All our discernment should be about His Will. A desire to give all to God as a consecrated soul is from His Will, or a vocation to marriage. I was speaking of states but discernment is all about His Will :) It s also the Source of everything we have 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

BarbTherese

I'm not debating! :) I believe God's Will should be the primary love and rule of our life. All our discernment should be about His Will. I was speaking of theology :) 

Well said - yet even in theology, nothing whatsoever is superior to God's Will.

AccountDeleted

I'm not debating! :) I believe God's Will should be the primary love and rule of our life. All our discernment should be about His Will. I was speaking of theology :) 

Well, theology can be open to interpretation and that does tend to turn into debate, so it would be good if we could keep VS free of that as much as possible. This thread has gotten a little derailed methinks. Let's just all agree that Blessed Elena was a great example of a holy woman who was doing God's will. :topsy:

MarysLittleFlower

Barbara - of course :) even the Sacraments are from God's Will. 

Well, theology can be open to interpretation and that does tend to turn into debate, so it would be good if we could keep VS free of that as much as possible. This thread has gotten a little derailed methinks. Let's just all agree that Blessed Elena was a great example of a holy woman who was doing God's will. :topsy:

sure let's get back on topic :) I think the quotes from the Church define it very clearly that consecrated life is a higher state - but thinking about finding God's Will can help people struggling with discouragement - if they are. 

In other words - discouragement is from us not from the teaching itself :)

BarbTherese

"Mystics of The Church" is a fascinating read.  It was Ven. Luigina Sinapi that most attracted me since The Feast of The Assumption (as in mine) was a milestone in her life and Our Lady figured so highly in her journey. "Jesus tells her that she is not to become a nun, but to remain as a lay person in the world. He tells her that she will often be misunderstood, and that she will suffer much, and that she will die alone." http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2015/03/luigina-sinapi-italian-mystic.html?m=1

If one has embraced and is following God's Will then it is the highest state of all, no matter one's vocation in life.  And this is what The Church teaches.

If one puts each of the vocations only on the table, then consecrated life is the highest state of life as The Church states.  Yet God's Will is highest of all.  Hence if one puts all the vocations on the table and includes God's Will then God's Will is the highest and once the subjective element enters into the subject of vocation, then God's Will is always on the table.

Discouragement can be triggered at times from not presenting the facts either fully and/or incorrectly.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

MarysLittleFlower

Oh to clarify I didn't mean to blame anyone if they feel discouraged. Its been a struggle for me too. The thing that helped me was thinking about God's Will as the purpose of my life, rather than worrying about whether my state would be the most objectively perfect. Because if its not my vocation it wouldn't be my path to becoming a saint. And even if my path was the littlest, thats fine if Jesus is happy! By the way I liked reading about Ven. Luigina Sinapi too - definitely shows that some are called to offer themselves to God while living unmarried in the world!

BarbTherese

We agree, MLF and very clearly stated - and I have read your other posts in other threads, although not always commenting, and know you have undergone struggles......and as I said previously, personally I do believe you are in a very 'positive place' though it might be a difficult grind at times.

I too had to surmount the hurdle that was my desire to live the most perfectly for God and what He might want for me. I think it is very natural and understandable that someone who wants to love God with their whole heart, mind and soul would consider religious life and, indeed, it just might be their call and vocation.  For those who have a desire for religious life, I always comment that they should follow that desire wholeheartedly as long as the desire persists.

Certainly, I intended no blame at all on you for any discouragement that might exist.  My problem is more with Catholic websites that do not present the facts in their entirety with clarity - from such I do think discouragement could be triggered.  Certainly, since Vatican II The Church Herself has been abundantly clear with absolute clarity about the various vocations.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

AccountDeleted

The Martins are a really good example of living God's will  - even though were not living a consecrated life within the Church, they certainly were 'consecrated' to God's will..