An Old School Catholic Message Board

The age of nihilism

little2add

Society is  fundamentally changing 

Can we survive without faith

In my opinion

"we" have NO CHANCE IN HELL ( pardon the pun )

Edited by little2add

ni·hil·ism
ˈnīəˌlizəm,ˈnēəˌlizəm/
noun
noun: nihilism
  1. the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.
    synonyms: skepticism, negativity, cynicism, pessimism; More
    disbelief, unbelief, agnosticism, atheism
    "she could not accept Bacon's nihilism, his insistence that man is a futile being"
    • Philosophy
      extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence.
    • historical
      the doctrine of an extreme Russian revolutionary party circa 1900, which found nothing to approve of in the established social order.

I don't think it's the death of faith, just certain aspects /systems as we know it. I think change will always happen -  old ways often suffer and new ways are created (or adapt). The period of change is always difficult, beyond the control of most of us, and painful (esp for those with privileges and attachments) But in death there is always hope of new life. The church has always been able to reform and adapt in the past -  I'm sure it'll be fine, even if not perfect

it sure seams like it with all the church closings, priest shortages, abortion, marriage (redefinition), divorce, and stuff like that  

AccountDeleted

'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.'

Some things will die off, but there will be regrowth - it is inevitable.

seed.jpg

• 1 month later...
ni·hil·ism
ˈnīəˌlizəm,ˈnēəˌlizəm/
noun
noun: nihilism
  1. the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.
    synonyms: skepticism, negativity, cynicism, pessimism; More
    disbelief, unbelief, agnosticism, atheism
    "she could not accept Bacon's nihilism, his insistence that man is a futile being"
    -    Philosophy
    extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence.
    -      historical
    the doctrine of an extreme Russian revolutionary party circa 1900, which found nothing to approve of in the established social order.
    -       Obamaiszum
    the doctrine of   A Godless  Society based on  government ownership of property, goods and services.   

I don't think the lack of faith by itself threatens society. The powers of the world never depended on faith...people will go on eating well and being merry. Even Christ said that the world will go on marrying and giving in marriage as in the days of Noah, until the flood came. Faith, in the purest sense, has always been a hidden treasure, which the wise enjoyed in this life, and the foolish at least had the next life to consider when this life collapsed. That's what I think the world today is losing, the possibility of another order higher than this one. We really have no symbolism to fall back on, we hardly even have just natural spiritual connection with the universe, we're alienated from the spiritual realm. We fly around the universe in hunks of metal, and barely know why.

Edited by Era Might

• 1 month later...

I don't think the lack of faith by itself threatens society. The powers of the world never depended on faith...people will go on eating well and being merry. Even Christ said that the world will go on marrying and giving in marriage as in the days of Noah, until the flood came. Faith, in the purest sense, has always been a hidden treasure, which the wise enjoyed in this life, and the foolish at least had the next life to consider when this life collapsed. That's what I think the world today is losing, the possibility of another order higher than this one. We really have no symbolism to fall back on, we hardly even have just natural spiritual connection with the universe, we're alienated from the spiritual realm. We fly around the universe in hunks of metal, and barely know why.

Very poetic musings even though, as an atheist, my idea of nihilism and living without faith are different.  

I don't agree that "we have no symbolism to fall back on." There are a variety of ways one can find symbolism and sense of aesthetics in natural elements and the brevity of life, without needing to believe that life goes on after death. Maybe it's for the more adventurous, I don't know, but there's something thrilling about venturing into the unknown, not feeling safe in one's faith.    

Edited by xSilverPhinx