An Old School Catholic Message Board

Social media and narcissism

MarysLittleFlower

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I booed your post credo in deum, to whats that latest thread about something or other starting with an e. To airy fairy.

I say thumbs down should minus the thumbs up total. Should be subtracted from the sum total of the thumbs up.

True Story. :) I AM MEANIE COZ dUSt REMOVED THE CROSS EYED REAPER, NOW I AM A BLIND REAPER SHEAFING AT RANDOM. :lol2::lol2:

Hairy scary coz my hair is shoulder length, should have posted that in 'what you didn't know about me'

Thats a mad scary lol though.

actually thumbs down wouldnt work coz a hater would thumbs down absolutely everything the object of hate says.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Lilllabettt

not having a facebook is very classy

I would be too sad to get rid of it I have friends who are not on facebook and they do lose touch ... maybe my goal should be silence on facebook. I could do that. or at least get quieter.

Lately I have noticed that facebook makes me unhappy. I am friends with a diverse group of people, many of them political activists from the opposite side of the spectrum. I get to consider things from a different perspective a lot, which is good for me as a human being. But the fact remains facebook is not a place to discuss ideas. its a place for billboards about ideas.

I do not understand selfies and food pictures. I don't get it and do not generally post those things. Of course that is mostly because I am busy judging people who post those things as vapid narcissists, and I do not want to run the risk that I will be perceived that way.

facebook does create a lot of beef for examination of conscience, though.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

lol ya'll deleted my Po$t, i was going to say holy host but it wasn't. But anyhow delete all my non holy stuff even if it is half holy, persecute the prophat. Don't abuse the authority mediators of meh. :) I accept dUSts authority more than yours though yall are 2nd.

No pun intended, i do respect your authority on phatmass. But this ain't church, or so you have tried to lead me to believe. Gods kingdom is everywhere if you dare to care. But lets have fun also. :) Now i shadap coz like over it already, gang up on the foreigner, j/k. :P

By the way i'm fully catholic and fully pro reviving the U.S.A or as i say " saving private ryan." :) again no pun intended.

And i understand it must be mad hard living in a country where the protestants are very anti catholic to the point of inventing and believing a whole host of lies about holy mother church.

a majority protestant to add to that, australia was never majority pro, it has always been 50 50 so the pros are much nicer to us coz we had equal weight of numbers.

again i am not a protestant and please do not dismiss me as such, ok fully over it now completely. GodblesS. Much love, 1 love 1God 1 Life.

oh guess what i just realised i missed my post and was looking at a post following the double take of that dudes face rolling his eyes. LOL

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Credo in Deum

@Tab'le De'Bah-Rye,  I have no clue what you're talking about.  Also I wouldn't delete your posts since most of the time I can't understand a single thing you type.   You're all over the place, Broseph.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

major ember credo, lol. mistaken post.

I didn't see that you had posted that face twice, i saw that and didnt see my post afterwards, so took it immediatly that you had deleted my post. Lack of prudence and perhaps temperance, i should have thought and prayed 1st before i rattled off a round from my ouzi 9mm and perhaps my guardian angel would have told me to look up. :) my bad, sorry.

And no i'm probably no prophet, though you could test that, perhaps i am.

though dUSt is prob more the professor coz like he eats everyones dUSt humbly and valiently, what a legend. He rally does put up with us doesnt he. :)

rally was meant to be really.

MarysLittleFlower

I could almost weep when I think of the hours/days/months?/years?! :/ of precious time wasted.

Centuries... Millennia... :sad:

(just kidding :smile3:

AccountDeleted

It sure takes a lot of posts to explain how social media is a bad thing! :P 

I don't have any problem with it. But then I don't do FB or Twitter or any social media except here. My family has our own website that we use to update family on news and events, and trying to get people to post is like pulling teeth.

Personally, I love the Internet, and the whole world that it has opened up for research and information. Sure, there is a lot of garbage as well, but if one is mature and uses common sense, it shouldn't be a problem. 

We all have a certain amount of narcissism in us anyway - just look at any toddler - they think the world revolves around them. It takes social interaction and good parenting to help a child develop into a healthy human being who can have self-esteem while also being aware that they share this planet with others and need to combine a natural selfishness with a divinely inspired selflessness. From what some have posted on here, it might be that online interaction is just another way to learn NOT to focus so much on self, and more on others. Posters have been saying that they are learning from their mistakes. That is a good thing, I think.

I don't think social media tempts me to vanity or narcissism - if anything I seem to have the opposite problem. I behave as though I'm talking in a room with close friends, and I forget that what I'm posting can be viewed by anyone on my list. I have ended up having to apologise for offending people because I shared things that would have been better restricted to a real-life circle of close friends.

For me Facebook is more of a practical thing. As a child I was always moving around because of my dad's job, I spent some time in a boarding school with people of a bunch of different nationalities, and now my own job has taken me to multiple countries. Social media is an effective way to keep in touch when your friends are scattered all over the globe. If most of my friends were in the same country as me, I would not rely on it so much.

I know! A while ago I started really paying attention to how much I would talk about myself in conversation - can't remember what the initial trigger was, but somehow I just started hearing how much was really just me talking about... me! It was really unattractive :( so I kept paying attention to it, even when emailing or posting on PM (where it's harder, because we don't really have a shared physical environment to talk about) and even though I still find myself talking about myself a lot, I've hopefully cut down on things that have only to do with showing me in a good light, or are just my mouth letting out whatever's in my head etc.!

This is me in IRL, not just Facebook. (And in prayer! I barely let God get a word in edgewise.) I have to consciously push myself to ask more about the other person, and often I get bored listening and want to switch the conversation back to me. Definitely unattractive.