An Old School Catholic Message Board

Social media and narcissism

MarysLittleFlower

Credo in Deum

Watching the computer screen is more intense than driving a car, a 10 minute break with snack and beverage outside once every hour is advisable, or if theres no outside than somewhere not looking at a screen, another room. And say a prayer for all the people your talking to each time as well if you want bonus cred.

I didn't know that. That is now not previously than. Everyone please understand many likes does not show the persons real credentials, people used to be able to like themself. :o true story. And the new set up has only been running for a few months. I'm aghast credo that you wouldnt mention that. :) Now that the net is narc central and its a big open confession session.

I've only been on this site a little over a year.  I'm sorry I failed to mention how things were on this site before I got here. 

i actually think that's more cultured than wanting everyone to notice and remember you. Its a modern idea that people didn't have before. For example a hundred years ago, according to the autobiography of Blessed Dina Belanger, the girls at the school were taught that a well brought up lady goes through life unnoticed. Today its all "look at me!!!!!!" - but I.wonder why. 

I don't know about cultured :hehe: but I have been told it comes across as haughty! Don't really know what to do about that. I just feel I'd rather not insult either you or myself by blabbering on and on about things that aren't important.

God willing, though, that trait will be put to good use as and when I end up in a monastery :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

the new system only started about 3 months ago, i voted for myself about 15 votes when i 1st got here not realising how deceptive and unfair on others it is, but i realized, alleluia. No pun intended credo. So you have never propped yourself on phatmass before?

MarysLittleFlower

I don't know about cultured :hehe: but I have been told it comes across as haughty! Don't really know what to do about that. I just feel I'd rather not insult either you or myself by blabbering on and on about things that aren't important.

God willing, though, that trait will be put to good use as and when I end up in a monastery :)

Its hard to please people. If you speak little you're seen as haughty. If you speak much you're a vain attention seeker. Just cant win lol! But I find I'm tempted to vanity more when I speak much so I personally think there's more danger there. I wonder how much I say just to put forward an image. Its often more humbling to be silent I find :)  

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Credo in Deum

the new system only started about 3 months ago, i voted for myself about 15 votes when i 1st got here not realising how deceptive and unfair on others it is, but i realized, alleluia. No pun intended credo. So you have never propped yourself on phatmass before?

Nope, I have never propped myself on Phatmass.  I've never seen the option to do this in the entire time I've been on Phatmass. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

jokes aside i know your all just playin

Nope, I have never propped myself on Phatmass.  I've never seen the option to do this in the entire time I've been on Phatmass. 

ok than credo i belive you this time you havent proven me otherwise, and ask anyone here i dont really do sarcasm. Though i do bad gramma, theres meant to be a comma after 'this time'.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Its hard to please people. If you speak little you're seen as haughty. If you speak much you're a vain attention seeker. Just cant win lol! But I find I'm tempted to vanity more when I speak much so I personally think there's more danger there. I wonder how much I say just to put forward an image. Its often more humbling to be silent I find :)  

I know! A while ago I started really paying attention to how much I would talk about myself in conversation - can't remember what the initial trigger was, but somehow I just started hearing how much was really just me talking about... me! It was really unattractive :( so I kept paying attention to it, even when emailing or posting on PM (where it's harder, because we don't really have a shared physical environment to talk about) and even though I still find myself talking about myself a lot, I've hopefully cut down on things that have only to do with showing me in a good light, or are just my mouth letting out whatever's in my head etc.!

Credo in Deum

I know! A while ago I started really paying attention to how much I would talk about myself in conversation - can't remember what the initial trigger was, but somehow I just started hearing how much was really just me talking about... me! It was really unattractive :( so I kept paying attention to it, even when emailing or posting on PM (where it's harder, because we don't really have a shared physical environment to talk about) and even though I still find myself talking about myself a lot, I've hopefully cut down on things that have only to do with showing me in a good light, or are just my mouth letting out whatever's in my head etc.!

You're doing it again.  :P

Jk.  I love you @marigold

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

talk about self is ok if it's in the light of Christs victory, better than gossiping about others right? Fly on the wall and all that jazz. Though i'm of course not perfect at not goss hopping.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

showing off christ gifts so to speak. :like2: I, we and he.

julianneoflongbeach

I don't like doing much of anything on Facebook. I check in to like all my friends' posts and keep tabs, then I'm off. I hardly ever post anything unless its newsworthy (new job!) or I'm in a mood and suddenly have to share with the world how amesome the dessert I made is. :rolleyes:

I think how much time spent on social media is connected to how much you'd like to engage in real life, however socially skilled you are. There are so many people who don't know how to be social in a healthy way and make their online communities their whole world.... Which probably takes it back further to our very severe problems with family.

People don't come from families where there are tons of people running around, getting in each others' way, and learning how to deal with each other... It's very sad.

p.s. There is online etiquette, and I think "liking" yourself is generally regarded as being quite tacky.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I bet i just created a few monsters, go get em gargooglys. :lol2:

or is that goargoygleys, olive oil where is popeye? St peter is popeye, a cha cha cha. St peter was famed for being big and very strong pulling in a load of fishes that 3 men would have to pull in on the other boats. Or maybe Jesus iz popeye for you nuns on the run, watch out for that dastardly whats his face, brutus. And the spinach that jesus eats iz our sin. LOL.

MarysLittleFlower

yes.. I know exactly what you mean! 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

the sin we repent from anyway, unrepentant sin is brutus, trying to steal you away from popeye.