An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do Religious do on vacation?

John Paul

sr.christinaosf

hoping to go to spend a few days with our sisters in Rugby again after Labor Day.  R&R, maybe a little project and some cooking?  Who knows?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Absolutely...ice cream! When I was a novice of an active community we would rent a house on Cape Ann and take turns for a few days. It was more like retreat. We went to daily Mass and did all our prayers privately. We each fended for ourselves for meals although we usually ended up sharing the cooking. We could go swimming because the house had a little private beach. We would go for walks, take naps, read, and just sit on the porch and enjoy the beauty of God's creation. 

Over time I have found that one of the real austerities of contemplative life is never having a vacation. We DO take retreat days but it's not the same. 

But we do eat ice cream!

Credo in Deum

When my brother discerned with the Carmelite Monks he said when they would go into town they would hit up Wendys, lol.  They liked to get big burgers and see who could eat the entire thing.  We outside of religious life might not understand how this can be a challenge, but when you're fasting most of the time on a plant based diet, eating an entire triple patty cheeseburger with everything on it can be a big challenge. :hehe:

Visit family and friends (4 days for me this summer, due to summer experiments/placements). Others visit society houses across the province or in another country. Others pursue hobbies or social projects (usually studies) or maybe go on a retreat or a pilgrimage. I need to do more work on my Spanish. I eat ice cream too when I get the chance :smile2:

When our daughter was on home visit, which is comparable to vacation and the usual term, she visited a relative who lives a few hours away, met with some church friends after daily Mass and enjoyed a little luncheon they had prepared in the church hall, visited some local friends for a few hours, went to the grocery store with us to pick out ice cream (we ate lots of ice cream), went for long walks after dinner, she went to the adoration chapel several times during the week (and of course daily Mass), watched a few movies that we rented, played yard games and board games.  We made all of her favorite foods together, especially the ones she rarely gets to eat, and she cooked something "new to us" that she now enjoys.  Mostly we just talked and enjoyed each others company.  We kept it relaxing because her life is busy.  The time went by very fast.

SophiaMaria

It depends on the community. I know some communities that have other properties that they use as a "vacation" spot. They will go in batches like the junior professed or novitiate.  They'll swim,  relax and prayers are said privately. Some religious go to a benefactors lake house that they've been invited to use or things like that.   The community I was in did not have vacation. Community retreat though was great for extra time for prayer, naps and projects. I would spend a lot of Time outside going for rosary walks or just enjoying the great outdoors.  I just love being outside. 

It depends on the community. I know some communities that have other properties that they use as a "vacation" spot. They will go in batches like the junior professed or novitiate.  They'll swim,  relax and prayers are said privately. Some religious go to a benefactors lake house that they've been invited to use or things like that.   The community I was in did not have vacation. Community retreat though was great for extra time for prayer, naps and projects. I would spend a lot of Time outside going for rosary walks or just enjoying the great outdoors.  I just love being outside. 

Prayer, naps and projects - sounds like my kind of holiday! ;)

Spem in alium

I've had a couple of short home visits. I like to go to Mass at my old parish to see the community. I simply just love to be in the company of my family - playing board games, watching movies, or just talking. 

My congregation here has a house where Sisters can go for a private retreat or holiday. It's near the beach so we can swim, watch movies, knit, do anything, really.