An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is there any way of keeping my scapular in place?

Catlick

I wear a devotional scapular, so not the large thing monks wear but a small one, underneath my shirt. During certain types of physical work the scapular always slides from my shoulders, resting on my upper arms. This hinders my work. Is there any way of keeping it in place, so I don't have to remove it? 

Maybe this is a silly practical question, but I am attached to my scapular and do not like taking it off...

Nihil Obstat

You could weigh down your scapular. I have a rather large scapular, so it tends to sit in place on its own. My wife's is smaller, but she hangs medals on the front and tied a knot in the back, so it sits fairly securely. Also I find that if I wear an undershirt and wear the scapular between the undershirt and your outer shirt, the scapular will tend to be held in place by friction.

AccountDeleted

Carmelite nuns wear the full length scapular but they keep it in place with pins. Some use straight pins, but these can end up sticking one, so some use safety pins instead. Can you use a small safety pin to keep the scapular pinned to the inside of your shirt?

MarysLittleFlower

One other idea could be connecting the strings of the scapular with another string somewhere more towards the middle... Does that make sense? Just not too much in the middle so it doesn't choke you.