An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about vocation...

Zoe

dear zoe,

There are people who say it is easier to join the religious life immedeatly after high school instead of after having lived under yourself for a while because you're still used to living in a community (your family) and having to be obidient to others (your parents).

However, i tend to disagree. Religious life is very different from living at home with your parents.

The priest may be a very good priest and spiritual advisor, but you are not joining him: you are hoping to join the sisters. So listen to their advice: it is their community and they know better about discerning and formation within their own community than a parish priest.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I apologize but did not understand your last post.

Marigold was using a quick way to say that she agreed with the advice that Josephine gave in the post right above Marigold's post.  The ^^^^ are meant to be like arrows pointing upward.

Marigold was using a quick way to say that she agreed with the advice that Josephine gave in the post right above Marigold's post.  The ^^^^ are meant to be like arrows pointing upward.

Thank you for explanation :).I have not seen this before so i have been very confused now i know.

Yes you give me very good advice for me it is very important to have open and honest bond with sisters.Sometimes pushing thinks before time can produce opposite affect.I have fear that year off after high school can be only distraction in my discerning now i think it could only give me time to work on me and my vocation,I hope soon i will talk with my parents about this that i took year off after high school and if they allow me i will like to be involved in some charity or missionary work (that is main occupation of the sisters i want to join)

You give me good advice here that people all the time trying to rush thinks maybe it is mine problem and it is hard for me to confess it.This year can help me a lot on realizing about my future and entering 2 months after finishing high school it is little bit to fast.I now even understand my parents reaction but still we need to have very serious talking.Vocation is not something you can order when it suits you.I know i need to work a lot on me about that.

But for me it is important that i have talk with our priest and that sisters know my intentions.That is just first of many steps in this long road of discerning.

I can only pray for God's grace and love on this journey.

All the best

Zoe

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:)

I did have nice long talking with both of my parents.We both try to listen more and attack less.I think it has been long and good conversation.We both try to use advises here and trying to understand each other side.

We have both decided that i will take year off after graduation next year.I think i it is clever to give my self and my i hope so future community time for proper discerning.We both decided give our self more time.If i have true Vocation to religious life it will only be stronger after this year my desire will not vanish for sure.

I want to spend this year in volunteering and to have this time to make my connection with good deeper.I want to work on my education and spirit life.Also one of the sisters kindly offer my any help i will need in guiding me with this process.

For sure it will be interesting year in front of me.

I will keep you updated

• 3 weeks later...

My last year in high school stared so i have less time for internet now.Next weekend my parents will drive to visit sisters.I will spend all day with them and in that way i will continue my discerning with them.It will be first time that i'm visiting them after i tell them my intention of entering.Please pray for this visit!

• 3 weeks later...

i'm very slow in writing so i apologize for that.I just wanted to share i have spend blessed day with sisters.It is first time that i'm there after i have share with them my desire for entering.They told me they will give any help as i need,and that mean a lot for me.I feel my self safe and wanted there.Also i have long private talking with head sister of the order.She share with me what she except from me for my future steps in discerning.That has been very helpful to have this kind of open and honest relationship with her.

Sister offer me that after graduation next summer i spend some time with them.It will be kind of aspirancy no obligations just to have better perspective about my future.Even my parents are half open to it.Still it is hard with them to discuss about that but i felt now that they took it little bit serous then before.We will see what future brings.

I'm  glad that you spent a lovely day with the sisters and that you were so very happy in their company. Many prayers for  you Zoe and your family  as you continue your discernment.

I'm  glad that you spent a lovely day with the sisters and that you were so very happy in their company. Many prayers for  you Zoe and your family  as you continue your discernment.

Thank you Jennifer for you kind and supporting words.I hope that my parents will finally see how much this mean for me.It is very long way in front of me.

Wish that i have more supoort on the way.Already i have lose some of my friends when i told them what i'm plan to do.That made me very sad.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the kind of crossroad with my discerning.After hours of talking with my parents with the great effort or both sides finally i think they realize that my discerning is becoming much more clear for them.It is still very long road ahead of us but i have felling that they start to respect my desire for religious life.This year i will finish high school and it is my parents wish to take a year off from collage and spend this year in volunteering, being with community and discerning.I'm thinking it is very good idea also.

I have person who is helping with my spiritually and vocation guidance in this process.He is local priest and i respect him a lot.He is very kind and very helpful in this process.But in one of ours many talks he told me that he is not agree that i delay my entering in the community .He is thinking it is better to enter next fall after my graduation or even same summer after i finish high school.His thinking is that i have true calling and that i have no reason to delay it.Also his opinion is that i will adjust for religious life much better and i will be better for me and for my formation.

After this talking i have visited community i wish to enter.I have talk there with head sister about my talk with priest and ask the sister for her opinion.He told me basically very similar answer.They offer me that i spend some time during the summer with them and then on fall together we can decided together about future.I did not talk yet with parents about this development but i'm kind of confused now about it.

I know it is general question and it is hard to tell something smart about it and i know it is my decision at the end but i'm thinking now will i made mistake if i wait?No mater of my age i fell my self reedy for religious life and in my heart i know i want this.

But also i do not want to burn in my desire.I do not want to made mistake because i have rushed thinks to much.Is anyone is the similar position?Or have some good advice?

Thank you Zoe

• 2 years later...

After nearly 3 years a lot of stuff in my life is different but some of them are the same:)I'm on collage now and i have continue discerning all this time so this year will be truly amazing for me:)Please pray for me.