An Old School Catholic Message Board

The importance of open door in a catholic church...

NadaTeTurbe

Spem in alium

My old parish church is one of the only ones I know to be open all day, and some people have mentioned to me how great it is to have a church open. Last year, Father started offering Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament several times a week, and as I only lived five minutes' walk from the church it was really easy for me to go and spend time with the Lord. The church affiliated with our convent is closed during the day because of threats of vandalism, which seems to be pretty commonplace. The cathedral here in Sydney, St Mary's is open all day, but attracts many tourists and people wielding cameras. 

There is a church in downtown Chicago, St. Peter's in the Loop, that is especially valuable for those who work downtown.  It is open from 6AM-7PM M-F (shorter hours on weekends), has confessions from 7:30AM-6PM M-F and noon-4:30 PM on Saturday, and has masses during the morning and evening commute periods (so people can stop be going to or from work) as well as at lunchtime.

There is a church in downtown Chicago, St. Peter's in the Loop, that is especially valuable for those who work downtown.  It is open from 6AM-7PM M-F (shorter hours on weekends), has confessions from 7:30AM-6PM M-F and noon-4:30 PM on Saturday, and has masses during the morning and evening commute periods (so people can stop be going to or from work) as well as at lunchtime.

That right there is the sign of a pastor who's really thinking about his people.

MarysLittleFlower

My parish is closed during the day some time after Mass but there is Mass two times a day, and the early one is at 7 am which is great so people can go before work. The other option is noon or evening. There are also Confessions before every Mass. However if someone wants to go to a church during the day, the Basilica in the city is always open and has much less tourists than the Cathedral. :) however when I visit my family in the suburbs, i haven't yet found a church that is open during the day in the summer - though the closest one is open till around noon (longer during the school year).

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

julianneoflongbeach

My church has to stay closed during school hours because you could go through the church into the school playground. :(

On a lighter note, Betty Butterfield mentions Catholic churches being open 24/7, and is otherwise just hilarious: