An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

You co-sponsor Presence HealthCare, right?  My oldest daughter is an E.R. physician at one of your hospitals in Chicago.

I don't know a great deal about our ministry in the U.S., but just researched that, and yes, my congregation does sponsor them. 

This evening I am beginning an adult education course on Jesus as part of my formation. It runs for eight weeks. Looking forward to seeing what I will learn!

Edited by Spem in alium

• 2 weeks later...
Spem in alium

This week I am writing to my Provincial asking to be accepted for the next stage in my formation. The process of application and acceptance will cover several months. Please pray for my Sisters, and for me.

Many prayers for you and your sisters as you take this next step in your discernment.

It is an exciting time for you.......God Bless. !!

Spem in alium

Thank you! I actually wrote my letter the day my formation director said I could...hehehe...and gave it to my Provincial on Tuesday. She asked me to explain why I want to stay in the Congregation and I found it so incredibly hard to express in words. She was very supportive and kind to express that Sisters are very happy I am with them. 

God's definitely with me! God bless!

• 2 weeks later...
Spem in alium

Next Saturday we will be celebrating the Golden Jubilee of two of our Sisters. We're having a big celebration - Mass and lunch. It's truly an incredible witness of love and service.

And I'm now beginning the long process of medical appointments, etc. for my application! Please pray for me, my wonderful family, and my dear Sisters!

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I think my superior and director are preparing me for Masterchef or something.

I've submitted the first full draft of my doctoral thesis, so hopefully will have a lot more time away from study and computers (usually I spend up to eight hours each day during the week on my study -- excellent, but tiring)....and that means I am now cooking two days a week! (Six out of eight of us in the community have our own weekday on which we cook). Director and superior will be my support crew, which does help. Next week I'm cooking two weekdays, and it's also my turn to cook for Sunday. I actually like to cook, and love to learn, so very fun times ahead...but still praying I don't burn the house down. 

I think my superior and director are preparing me for Masterchef or something.

I've submitted the first full draft of my doctoral thesis, so hopefully will have a lot more time away from study and computers (usually I spend up to eight hours each day during the week on my study -- excellent, but tiring)....and that means I am now cooking two days a week! (Six out of eight of us in the community have our own weekday on which we cook). Director and superior will be my support crew, which does help. Next week I'm cooking two weekdays, and it's also my turn to cook for Sunday. I actually like to cook, and love to learn, so very fun times ahead...but still praying I don't burn the house down. 

Monastery cooking is fun! Sisters help you with the boring bits like chopping vegetables, and no one ever complains that it's under-seasoned...

Spem in alium

Monastery cooking is fun! Sisters help you with the boring bits like chopping vegetables, and no one ever complains that it's under-seasoned...

So much fun! Usually each of us cooks on our own without help, as we each have our own rostered day. I like washing or drying dishes, chopping veg, etc. And the kitchen is really where you learn many things! 

More often than not with us, there's an issue with OVER-seasoning...one of our Sisters (who is a great cook) has a bit of a fondness for pepper. I like it, but some Sisters have more sensitive palates. 

So yes, bring on the three cooking days this week! Any ideas for effective but simple recipes? Wednesdays we do not eat meat, so that will be either fish or veg. 

So yes, bring on the three cooking days this week! Any ideas for effective but simple recipes? Wednesdays we do not eat meat, so that will be either fish or veg. 

Okay, I'm sorry is my vocabulary is wrong, because translating recipes is hard. 

One of the easiest recipe that I know is "quiche lorraine". And you can change the ingredients to match the vegetables that you have. 

You need a shortcrust ("pâte brisée"). In the shortcust, you put whatever you want. Vegetables, lardon, fish, salmon, etc... in little piece. And you add a mixture of "crème fraiche" (fresh cream ?), and milk. THen you cook it 20 minutes (or more). 

It looks like this : Afficher l'image d'origine (here it's broccoli/salmon. You need to cook the broccoli before)

Also, when we receive a vegan to eat, we always make a risotto. Simple and easy. 

Do you eat couscous ? It's easy to do and sooooo good. The couscous from Tunisie is the best (no offence Algeria and Morroco). I'm sure there's a lot of couscous recipes on the net. 

Afficher l'image d'origine

Spem in alium

Nice! Thanks, Nada. We don't really eat couscous - I'm not sure if Sisters like it (though I personally do), but I've not eaten it since I've been at the convent. I could always give it a go, though!

For Tuesday I made some little burgers (pork and veal mincemeat, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, coriander, pepper, salt (though not enough), and some spices), with a rice and apple salad and some roasted carrots.

For today I made some baked fish with a capsicum, sweet potato and chickpea salad (half recipe, half invention) and some potato wedges. I was cooking for our community plus our Provincial Council, so eleven people. While we were eating, my Provincial (also superior of my house) joked that the judgments of her Council on my meal would guarantee my acceptance to the next stage of my formation - I needed to get 10/10 from each of the Council members to make it! Then one of my Sisters (not a Council member) said, "You give her 10, I give her 11", before getting jokingly reprimanded by Sister Superior that her vote didn't count. Made me laugh :P 

(P.S. My Provincial gave me 10/10 and she is a great cook, so I think it's a lovely compliment!)

Now just need to think of what to make for Sunday...

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I have now received the official go-ahead from the Provincial Council to begin collecting what I will need for the next stage of my formation. There is much to do. Please keep us - my Sisters, my family, and myself - in your prayers.

P.S. On Sunday I am making roasted pork loin with potato salad, a green salad with prunes and pecans, and a lemon blueberry trifle. I've made the dessert before and am going to try it again following some good constructive criticism. :) 

Spem in alium

Thanks, TT! 

This week I've been flat out helping my superior with preparations for tomorrow. It's the feast day of our Foundress, and also the Golden Jubilee celebrations. We made breakfast, I'll be leading prayer, and then we have a Mass and lunch. I've been writing speeches, menus, booklets, cards, etc. Sister Superior asked me to introduce the Mass, and I'm also in charge of operating the projector. It's going to be a very big day, and I hope a very joyous one. One year ago tomorrow I received the news I'd been accepted as a candidate with my Sisters, so it's even more meaningful for me. I really can't believe I'm at the stage I am now.

Spem in alium

Everything went wonderfully this weekend. The Jubilee Mass was beautiful. I cooked Sunday lunch and managed not to poison or kill anyone (well, at least, as far as I know). I even got an 11/10 from my superior for it, so I guess it was enjoyable enough. 

Spem in alium

Good weekend! Birthday here in the convent. Next week, half the community will be away at retreats, on holiday, and at a Catholic festival for youth. It will be a tremendously quiet house! 

And it's finally happening...I've started becoming unable to help calling people "Sister". I did it with a friend the other week. Today I was about to call my grandmother "Sister", but it kind of went like, "Thanks, Sis-Grandma". 

Edited by Spem in alium