An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium
6 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

Definitely check into the audio books on the iPod. 

I hope that you can find a chaplain for her. Another resource might be the parish closest to the hospital, there may be someone there who can bring her the Eucharist.

Will do. I think it will be easier for her to manage (hopefully).

Well, the hospital does not have a chaplain. We have consecrated hosts on hand (in our house chapel and in the shrine on our property, where Mass is celebrated daily) so I have been taking her the Eucharist and can continue to do so when I am there; otherwise other sisters have been doing so.

Sister was very miserable and anxious as she is having a biopsy today on the growth found in her uterus. Prayers appreciated.

3 hours ago, vee said:

Prayers for the whole situation!

Thank you so much!

Spem in alium

Sister was apparently in a GREAT mood yesterday...my guess is because her football team has won the comp!

I had such a nice experience at my first day back in aged care after lockdown. I went to visit a man I usually see weekly, and he was watching soccer. I asked him if he wanted me to go and he invited me to watch with him. But we hardly watched because every couple of minutes he would say, "Can I ask you something...", or "What do you think of XYZ?". I stayed with him for half an hour, which was lovely. Please pray for him, and all the elderly, who are so often mistreated or have their dignity compromised.

Spem in alium

Funny moment this weekend:

My formator was making laksa on Friday night (I was her kitchen hand), and she asked me to invite our superior to eat. I thought I'd try out my Polish and ask her if she would like laksa, but instead I asked her if she wanted to BE laksa. It gave us a good chuckle!

Spem in alium

Sister is back home from hospital! :) 

Our retreat on Saturday was great. We had a good time with the girls who came (one unfortunately pulled out on the day). Of course there are a few things we could improve on, but for the most part it was really good.

Spem in alium
5 hours ago, vee said:

Thanks be to God that Sister is back home!  I was praying that that would happen soon.

God is so good. And thank you so much for your prayer for her. She seems to be getting back to her normal self, but still needs space, rest, etc. I don't know any further details about her health situation, nor is it really my business to ask for them, but I'm presuming that given how things seem to be she has a bit of a way to go to get these issues sorted.

Spem in alium

My superior promoted me today -  she's away these next few days, and if there's anything health-related sister needs, I'm the go-to-girl. The trainee nurse is moving up in the world! :P

I had such a nice encounter today in aged care. I was talking with some other volunteers in the corridor just before lunchtime, and I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was one of the residents I see fairly often. I believe I've posted about him here before a couple of times. He gave me a big hug and asked me how I was doing. He made my day. :love:

To cap off the day, this evening I took my medication as usual but became very sleepy during our praying of the Rosary (to the point that I was really zoning out and forgetting the Hail Mary), went to my room afterwards, fell asleep and missed my choir rehearsal. Someone even called me to check where I was and I slept right through it. I guess there's a first time for everything but I hope in this instance it's the last. 

Edited by Spem in alium

It is always such a blessing when someone shows such a random act of kindness, care, and concern.  Hopefully you werent at a low moment but Ive particularly appreciated such kind words and gestures when they did come at those times.  Even someone saying a random simple "good job" in the middle of a hectic day can be a huge help!

Im actually enjoying these last days where I can nap for as long as I want if I so choose!  Where Im going there is an hour in the afternoon where a siesta can be taken.  When visiting I over slept it once and woke up to a nun knocking at my door because vespers had started and I was obviously absent!  I hope that was the first and last time for that too!

Spem in alium
5 hours ago, vee said:

It is always such a blessing when someone shows such a random act of kindness, care, and concern.  Hopefully you werent at a low moment but Ive particularly appreciated such kind words and gestures when they did come at those times.  Even someone saying a random simple "good job" in the middle of a hectic day can be a huge help!

Im actually enjoying these last days where I can nap for as long as I want if I so choose!  Where Im going there is an hour in the afternoon where a siesta can be taken.  When visiting I over slept it once and woke up to a nun knocking at my door because vespers had started and I was obviously absent!  I hope that was the first and last time for that too!

It is truly a blessing. I have been a bit stressed lately, and sometimes I just feel I need a hug or something. And I guess in my job I'm usually the one to initiate contact with people and ask how they're doing, so I really felt cared for. It was totally unexpected. I think it was a sign from God, in a way.

Ohhh enjoy the nap time! I usually don't nap, but do relish the time to unwind. An hour of rest in the afternoon is such a good idea; it's often the sleepiest part of the day and so you can really become refreshed for your evening. And good to know they check on you, hehe! Oversleeping vespers really can happen often! I've not done it yet, but last year I did almost oversleep the time we needed to leave for St Peter's Basilica for the Pallium Mass. I had five minutes to spare and I think it was the quickest I've ever moved.

Out of curiosity, do you need to take the siesta, or can you use the time for something else (say, reading or craft) if you don't really feel to rest?

It probably was a sign from God, He knew you needed a little boost.

LOL yes its amazing how fast one can move in five minutes if they really have to!  That hour in the afternoon can be used for reading, crafts or whatever, not just sleeping.  I think everyone does have to be in her cell though.  There is an hour of silent mental prayer after vespers and I found myself almost dozing off during that a couple of times.

Spem in alium
10 hours ago, vee said:

It probably was a sign from God, He knew you needed a little boost.

LOL yes its amazing how fast one can move in five minutes if they really have to!  That hour in the afternoon can be used for reading, crafts or whatever, not just sleeping.  I think everyone does have to be in her cell though.  There is an hour of silent mental prayer after vespers and I found myself almost dozing off during that a couple of times.

It's something I'll treasure for sure. God really uses my work in the aged care as a way to reveal Himself to me.

Oh wow, that's really good. I would be one to read or do something rather than sleep, though periods of silent prayer can make me really want to snooze...

Today we had a party in aged care for all our residents whose birthdays were celebrated in July. It was good to spend time and connect with people (and dance with some!). I am still trying to work out where I fit in this place. I'm only a volunteer working 14 hours a week, but I want to be treated like a staff member - yet some staff seem to treat me like I'm just visiting. Like today, one of my sisters told me to sit at the table, which I did (but felt awkward doing it because she and other sisters were standing). And then one of the staff gave me some cake, but I felt super embarrassed because no other staff members, not even my sisters, were eating. But what could I do? There's one staff member who definitely gives me an unsure vibe - really get the sense she thinks I don't know what I'm doing. I'm still learning, and I make mistakes, but I really want to be there. 

Spem in alium

Sunday week (10th) we'll be celebrating my formator's 25th jubilee of religious life (in my congregation, we count from entrance and not  from first vows). We will have Mass in her intentions, prayer and meals cooked by our superior. I am sooo stuck as to what to get her as a gift (I have been making note of things she says she likes, but it's hard to choose and I don't want to automatically give it away that the gift is from me - I like mystery hehe)! Hopefully it will come to me before I go shopping on Tuesday. :) 

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I organised a gift for sister - a gift body pack (perfume, body lotion and shower gel) in a scent she loves. And I've also made her an artwork (calligraphy with watercolour decorations) related to her religious mystery. She will know these gifts are from me, so no mystery after all, but oh well!

Next weekend (16th July) I am being transferred to another convent. I'm feeling excited but at the same time aware this will be a big change for me. I've been living in this community for 15 months, and it will be hard not to see these sisters every day. But at the same time, I tell myself that I moved out from home and while that was hard I could do it! I know all the sisters in my new community (some better than others) but you learn a lot about a person when you live with them.