An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Celebrating my director's jubilee this weekend. Yesterday (Saturday) we had a beautiful Mass. I spent most of the day helping my superior cook, we decorated Sister's bedroom, and I finalised my gifts for her. In the evening we watched "The Young Messiah" (released this year, and very enjoyable). We had almost all the community there (everyone except two) and I had another opportunity to be a bartender/waitress. Sister likes margaritas, and I'd been making them a couple of times before but this time wanted to do them the "real" way (not with the sugary margarita mix, but with triple sec and lemon juice). Everyone enjoyed, I think.

Today after Morning Prayer we had a beautiful breakfast. Waiting for lunch which will have a few surprises for sisters (I'm in the know because I was helping my superior and she told me what she'd be preparing). I've also been asked to give an occasional toast. It will be hard to condense all I want to say about Sister (because she really is the best formator in the world) but I hope it will all go well. :)  

Spem in alium

Almost ready to be transferred. I am not moving far at all (to the next suburb) but I want to treat it as if I am really moving, and not just for two months. Some people have said I don't need to take everything I need because I can just come back here and get it. Well, that's true, but I don't want to rely on that because it will feel like I'm living in two places.

Next day and a half will be cleaning, washing, finishing my packing, working and praying Vespers with our new bishop. He's invited all consecrated men and women to join him tonight, and is aiming to meet with all groups across the diocese to get to know them. I think it's a great idea.

Spem in alium
8 hours ago, Pax17 said:

Praying that you have a smooth transition...

Thank you! Prayers are needed. I'm very excited and eager to see what I will learn, but also feeling a bit shy. It's kind of like how I was when I began living with my sisters 17 months ago. I was soooo timid but very happy to be there. Now I'm less timid and more happy! I think it will be similar, but the shyness not as significant as I already know these sisters a bit. 

Spem in alium

The prayer and fellowship with the bishop last night was wonderful. There would have been around 120 consecrated persons there. The bishop is an incredibly approachable man, very down-to-earth and so unassuming. When we were having a group photo all together, he sat down next to one of the religious in the front row and introduced himself to her but was quickly asked to sit in the middle beside two priests - we smiled at that! He wore his habit the entire evening (he is a Conventual Franciscan) and did not wear his zucchetto during the gathering and dinner, so if you didn't know you wouldn't have any idea he's the bishop :) It was great to see some of his brother Franciscans with him also.  

Spem in alium

The move went well. Sisters have welcomed me "home" and to be honest I really do feel like I'm home, because I have the two things I know I most need in the world: them and Jesus. They are so incredibly understanding and caring. I feel so relaxed and free to be who I am.  I really feel like the most blessed person ever.

I'm glad the move went well and you have settled   at home with your sisters . I'm so very happy for you Spem.

God bless you.

Spem in alium
24 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

I'm glad the move went well and you have settled   at home with your sisters . I'm so very happy for you Spem.

God bless you.

Thank you so very much, Jennifer! God bless you also! I feel they are happy I am with them and I am so happy to be with them too. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spem in alium

On Saturday, I helped one sister in the kitchen because we had a little dinner party on Sunday! Three of our friends (a couple, and then another lady) were invited and we had such a beautiful time together. It was funny, because the husband said to his wife beforehand that he was really nervous about visiting sisters - what to talk about, what we would be interested in, etc. Well, we couldn't keep him quiet! :hehe2:

Sister taught me how to make one dish, and she suggested I make it on Friday (which is my day for cooking). Then another sister suggested I invite my parents/siblings too! I haven't seen them for three months. Since the times I see my family are now more on my terms (they need to come to me, and it's once every two months -- we just had a longer gap), I worry sometimes about inconveniencing them as I know they're all really busy, but I want them to know I can still see them and that I still WANT to see them. 

Spem in alium
23 hours ago, Pax17 said:

Your sisters sound great...so considerate and supportive.

They honestly are wonderful - most of them are happy for me to annoy them, especially in the kitchen, with questions about what they're doing (some like to have no company at all, which is fine!), and they have given me great tips I can use in the future. And also with language, too -- often they apologise for speaking their language in front of me, but I tell them not to worry as I want to listen and learn! So they teach me new words every day.

I love living in this house so much. I feel so welcomed and like I belong. I am making an effort to visit my home community once a week to say hello, as I feel like they appreciate it. 

On Sunday, our diocese is hosting an event called "World Youth Day In-Sync" - Mass with our bishop, live streaming of the final Mass from Cracow, and Polish and Filipino food. It should be a great night!

Sister Spem, next week you must tell us more about the Polish and Filipino food...sounds like an interesting combination with a variety of flavors.

Lovely to hear that you  have settled and are having a wonderful time with your sisters  . I hope you have a lovely time on Sunday and enjoy the feast.!!

Spem in alium

Yesterday I did my volunteering and then was very nicely surprised - one of my sisters from my "new home" picked me up, and with her was a sister from my "old home". You would probably say this sister and I are close (I've posted about her here: I'm usually home for lunch and join her for dinner, so we see each other often, and I like to help her out as she has a few disabilities and health issues). We all went for coffee. Sister said she missed me and I miss her too. I told her I was well and learning a lot. It's hard for me when people from home (family and sisters) tell me they miss me - I do miss them too (and some people I know want to hear that from me), but at the same time I'm just so happy where I am, and while I know they are happy for me and want the best for me I don't want to hurt them.  

Last night (Friday) was one of the best nights ever - my parents came to visit. They came earlier than we expected so joined us for prayer, but we (sisters) couldn't help from laughing because our prayer leader got a bit mixed up with the memorial of St Martha, so there was a bit of confusion :hehe2: 
Afterwards we had a beautiful dinner - Polish potato dumplings, mushroom sauce, cauliflower with breadcrumbs, omelette, and a little salad. Sisters were very kind and said it was my work (they only helped), but in reality it was more like they were teaching me (I'd never made the dumplings or mushroom sauce before, so they showed me what to do). Afterwards we had coffee and cake. My parents brought some nice things for us, including some white cheese (ricotta and Maltese cheese) - one of my sisters said to me that it will be good for our next cooking lesson ;) 
Sisters were so kind and let me have some private time with my parents while they did all the washing up. They understand what I need and what my parents need and are so supportive. How blessed am I?!

On 7/27/2016 at 5:24 AM, NadaTeTurbe said:

Your sisters sound great, it make me want to meet them ! 

They are amazing. I think you know I have sisters in Paris :)  I have met at least one of them, and meeting her was one of the most profound experiences of my life so far.

On 7/27/2016 at 5:26 AM, Pax17 said:

Sister Spem, next week you must tell us more about the Polish and Filipino food...sounds like an interesting combination with a variety of flavors.

I can't wait to try it! :) I will definitely update on what's there.

On 7/27/2016 at 5:39 PM, Jennifer said:

Lovely to hear that you  have settled and are having a wonderful time with your sisters  . I hope you have a lovely time on Sunday and enjoy the feast.!!

Thank you, Jennifer! I'm sure I will!