An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Had a particularly cute phone call with my grandfather which went something like this:

Grandfather: I suppose you want to talk to your excellent Nanna (grandmother)?
Me: Yes, if she is there!
Him: Ok, hold on, I'll put her on the phone...well, not on the phone exactly...I just need to take the phone to her because I'm in the study...I'm going now...Hold on...I'm moving very slowly because I'm an old man...Why are you laughing, it's true (I was laughing a lot)...Hold on...

9 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

So, my life story (health-related, but with a small segment on my journey with the sisters) was published in a national newspaper yesterday. It was a huge surprise actually (I knew it would be published, but not when) --- even more amazing has been the response.

Is there a link please? :) 

2 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Had a particularly cute phone call with my grandfather which went something like this:

Grandfather: I suppose you want to talk to your excellent Nanna (grandmother)?
Me: Yes, if she is there!
Him: Ok, hold on, I'll put her on the phone...well, not on the phone exactly...I just need to take the phone to her because I'm in the study...I'm going now...Hold on...I'm moving very slowly because I'm an old man...Why are you laughing, it's true (I was laughing a lot)...Hold on...

I am laughing too - your grandfather has a great sense of humour.

9 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

So, my life story (health-related, but with a small segment on my journey with the sisters) was published in a national newspaper yesterday. It was a huge surprise actually (I knew it would be published, but not when) --- even more amazing has been the response.

Hi Spem, I've been mostly lurking here for about 8 years so I feel I know you quite well!!  Got a big surprise yesterday when I opened the West Australian "Sunday Times" newspaper and recognised you immediately.  You got a full page spread here too!  I thought it was a lovely article with nice photos.  Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Spem in alium
6 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Is there a link please? :) 

Will PM you. :)

5 hours ago, Jarrah said:

Hi Spem, I've been mostly lurking here for about 8 years so I feel I know you quite well!!  Got a big surprise yesterday when I opened the West Australian "Sunday Times" newspaper and recognised you immediately.  You got a full page spread here too!  I thought it was a lovely article with nice photos.  Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Thank you so much, Jarrah! It was nice to do and I also liked the photos they included. It's had a pretty amazing response which has been truly mind-blowing! 

Spem, I found the article!!!!! I'm pretty good at finding things if I put my mind to it.   Now I can finally put a face on your name :)))   And now I will "up the ante" with my prayers for your application, medical appts, tests, your dear family and Sisters.

I just read the article ! That was very inspiring, and nice picture with Pope Francis :) 

Also, I think it's very cool that they interviewed a nun but not about being a nun, you know, it shows that nuns are normal people. 

Spem in alium
7 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

Spem, I found the article!!!!! I'm pretty good at finding things if I put my mind to it.   Now I can finally put a face on your name :)))   And now I will "up the ante" with my prayers for your application, medical appts, tests, your dear family and Sisters.

Haha, you're sneaky ;) You are so kind. Thank you. Know you're in my prayers also!

6 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I just read the article ! That was very inspiring, and nice picture with Pope Francis :) 

Also, I think it's very cool that they interviewed a nun but not about being a nun, you know, it shows that nuns are normal people. 

Thank you! Yes, he's very photogenic but didn't say much to me :P 

It was really good for me too. I did an interview last year about my vocation (for a Catholic paper) so that was very focused on spirituality, God, etc. For this one, I really wanted it to be about me as an ordinary person who happens to have a health condition and who also happens to be a sister. This article reached a lot more people (the Catholic paper is diocesan only) and so I thought that's what people would appreciate. In my view it came across that way and I'm really pleased.

14 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

He actually didn't sound well when I spoke with him; very tired, and when I asked how he was he said something like "I'm going down, and very badly". He didn't say much more than that and I was tempted to ask my grandmother but didn't want to intrude on their privacy. My dad has mentioned a couple of times that he's becoming forgetful, withdrawn, fatigued, and dwelling on past issues which he'd managed to overcome. Maybe it is the beginning of the final stage of his earthly life.

I also found and read the article online.  I know that in addition to educating us about this medical condition, your story has been a comfort and inspiration to someone, somewhere.  Thank you, Spem.

2 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Spem in alium said:  He actually didn't sound well when I spoke with him; very tired, and when I asked how he was he said something like "I'm going down, and very badly". He didn't say much more than that and I was tempted to ask my grandmother but didn't want to intrude on their privacy. My dad has mentioned a couple of times that he's becoming forgetful, withdrawn, fatigued, and dwelling on past issues which he'd managed to overcome. Maybe it is the beginning of the final stage of his earthly life.

Sorry to read the above, I will keep your grandparents in prayer too, especially with St. Joseph.

Spem in alium
16 hours ago, Pax17 said:

I also found and read the article online.  I know that in addition to educating us about this medical condition, your story has been a comfort and inspiration to someone, somewhere.  Thank you, Spem.

Thank you so much, Pax. A lot of people have been saying to me that they found it inspirational, that I inspire them, etc. I find it hard to see myself as inspiring, as I'm really very ordinary, but at the same time it's nice for me to know that my story has meant something to someone. I think the main thing I want to show people through it is that even if we have problems we think are so huge and can't be overcome, they don't have to stop us from being happy and living a full life. I'll always have problems in some way or another, but I'm just thankful that I am able to take them with positivity and gratefulness. Life is such a gift, in whatever way it comes.

14 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Sorry to read the above, I will keep your grandparents in prayer too, especially with St. Joseph.

Thank you! St Joseph is my grandfather's patron, and he means a lot to me too, so he's definitely a good person to ask for prayer.

Spem in alium

Convent quotes.

Sr A (discussing our leader's Christmas wishes mailout): You know, you could always just use a list of important words in your wishes. 'Dear friends, peace, Jesus is born, you know what it's all about."
Sr B: Or you could hide your wishes in a find-a-word! (this generated a lot of fun discussion about how provincial could not send a puzzle to our archbishop).

Sr C (who is our leader and soon to be transferred to another house): 2016 is ending, then it will be 2017, and then 2018 if God's will.
Sr D: Not for me.
All of us: What do you mean?
Sr D: I will die next year.
Sr C: I hope you've talked to your boss! I said that there will be no more deaths in my term so you have to wait!
Sr D: Well, you are leaving, so why should I stay?

Spem in alium

One of my sisters was taken to hospital yesterday and had to be admitted. Please pray for her...and for us. There's always a change in the air when someone is away, for whatever reason, and it's not always a happy feeling.

I have my psychological test today! So excited to get it done.         

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Sister is still in hospital, but we have been told she is not in any pain.

The first part of the psych test went well! The psychologist initially said it would be longer, but because it was an afternoon session and so hot here (100F) she gave me less to do on the first session. It took the form of a little interview (just about my history, my health, my life with the sisters, etc.) and then a 300-question true/false test :) She told me that this written test is the longest out of all of them, so I'm glad to have it done!

Spem in alium
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:52 AM, Spem in alium said:

Sister is still in hospital, but we have been told she is not in any pain.

Sister has cancer. She is very weak and is now using a walking frame which I know is a personal struggle for her. Please pray for her.

This week I am busy making some goodies for a big celebration this weekend. I have made some blank greeting cards and I will cook some savoury muffins. I also have the second part of my psych test tomorrow -- and I am meeting my sister for lunch/coffee! We haven't seen each other in roughly four months.