An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

At exactly this time in exactly one week, my postulancy ceremony will be starting. Wow!

Today I started officially learning a new language. :) 

1 hour ago, Spem in alium said:

At exactly this time in exactly one week, my postulancy ceremony will be starting. Wow!

Today I started officially learning a new language. :) 

Im enjoying your countdown!

A new language?  Postulantese?

Spem in alium
3 hours ago, vee said:

Im enjoying your countdown!

A new language?  Postulantese?

Haha, me too! And on that note... SEVEN!!!!

Yes, that...and Polish. ;) I had a three-hour class this morning with a bunch of 6-10 year-olds. Our sisters run this school, and as Polish is an official language of my congregation I thought it might come in handy sometime. Today I learnt how to say the names of the four seasons and a few important basic phrases, including "I don't speak Polish" (which I don't...yet) and "My name is David Atkinson" (which it isn't...).

12 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Haha, me too! And on that note... SEVEN!!!!

Yes, that...and Polish. ;) I had a three-hour class this morning with a bunch of 6-10 year-olds. Our sisters run this school, and as Polish is an official language of my congregation I thought it might come in handy sometime. Today I learnt how to say the names of the four seasons and a few important basic phrases, including "I don't speak Polish" (which I don't...yet) and "My name is David Atkinson" (which it isn't...).

Ah right, Polish!  Now I remember you did write about that earlier.  Im always amused at how one of the first phrases that is taught in another language is how to say one doesnt speak that language when it is very clear to the listener that one doesnt!!!  The first words I try to learn are whatever they call a toilet, please thanks, and their money system. 

Spem in alium
2 hours ago, vee said:

Ah right, Polish!  Now I remember you did write about that earlier.  Im always amused at how one of the first phrases that is taught in another language is how to say one doesnt speak that language when it is very clear to the listener that one doesnt!!!  The first words I try to learn are whatever they call a toilet, please thanks, and their money system. 

Me too! Really helpful for me will be words to use over the phone, like "Who's calling, please?" or "Who would you like to speak to?" One of our sisters gets a lot of calls from people who don't speak English very well or at all. Last weekend I was home alone, and she got a call from her seamstress who speaks no English. I was only able to work out that it was the seamstress because she kept on repeating a word which I then looked up in my Polish-English dictionary.

Also really helpful would be basic phrases I could use with the residents at our aged care. I know how to say "how are you?" and "how are you feeling?", but not a lot more that would be relevant or useful. Last week I wheeled a non-English-speaking lady back to her room after Mass, and she started saying something to me but I had to say to her, in Polish, that I didn't understand her. Turns out she was saying "I'm going too" - I know the words for "go" and "too", so I should have got the gist, but at the time my mind was just going, "Ohhhh she's speaking Polish what do I do?!?!?!?!" I'd particularly like to learn the Rosary in Polish so that I can pray with people if they want it.

P.S. SIX DAYS!!!!!!

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Our lizards are back. I came to my room after dinner and found some very interesting droppings on my carpet, left to get something to clean it, and when I got back I saw my lovely little friend just hanging out in the middle of my room. I don't mind lizards at all, just not in my bedroom. It didn't take much to shoo her out, but she kept trying to go back into my bathroom (which has a door connecting into the corridor). A sister happened to be in the corridor at the time, and with her "help" the lizard was diverted into the room of another sister (who happens to like lizards and feeds them every evening). We were in stitches.

Spem in alium

Five days. :bananarap:

This week is terribly busy for me, but my formator has asked me to make a retreat on Friday in preparation for my entrance. Thanks to all of you who have been praying for me (and to @NadaTeTurbe for your novena) - it's such a kindness. I ask that you please pray for my family and my sisters, as this is yet another transition for them and likely harder on them than it will be on me. I also ask prayers that I will fall more and more in love with Jesus, and cling to Him only.

Spem in alium

FOUR DAYS! The next couple of days are busy with teaching and meetings, and then I can have some time to reflect - which I'm looking forward to. I'm so excited I could bounce, :bounce: but also at the same time very peaceful (strange combo!). I can't wait to give myself to Jesus in this way. I know He will accept me as I am and I pray I can have the strength to give Him all of myself, unreservedly. 

Spem in alium
8 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

YAY! Will you still have internet access after you enter postulancy?

Yes, I'll still have access. :) 

Spem in alium
1 hour ago, Francis Clare said:

Going to the Cathedral to light a candle for your entrance. God Bless!

You are so kind. Thank you.