An Old School Catholic Message Board

Silence in Church

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

How can we promote quiet in church after Mass? And if you're trying to pray after Mass and others around you are chatting, how do you fight frustration or judging them? 

puellapaschalis

Tape everyone's mouths shut.

(From someone who suffers muchly from this...although probably not as much as others suffer from me in other ways in church, I suppose)

MarysLittleFlower

Lol! :) in the parish where I usually go, signs appeared at the back asking for quiet in church. I thought it was before a wedding or a funeral but the signs stayed up after. But my parish is way quieter than anywhere else I've been.

During the summer, like now, I'm in another city. A few times I had the urge to ask the people to go into the hall, but that came from frustration so I'm glad I didn't! I just keep praying. But it would be nice to get less annoyed :(  I try to remember maybe they weren't catechised about this.

I read a letter from St Padre Pio to his spiritual daughter about keeping silence in church to respect the Eucharist and that just stayed with me. I think we can also do prayers of reparation because the result of this is that Jesus is ignored. 

puellapaschalis

Once I was praying in church and two parishoners (both of whom I kind of knew anyway) were yacking whilst cleaning. After a while I went over and asked if they could keep it down a bit - got a prissy look from the lady, but it was quiet again. But I wouldn't do that where I am now: different church, different culture, different situation, all that shebangle. Here I really have no option other than bow the head and offer it up. It's far from easy, but these little things at least 100% my RDA of Small Offerings And Sacrifices.

CountrySteve21

I think the best way we can promote quiet is first by prayer. Pray for the people talking and pray for inner quiet as well. Maybe you can ask your Pastor to mention it in one of the sermons?

Pastors rarely take responsibility for such a thing. It'd "upset too many people".

My solution: Wait for the VII generation to die. That should improve the situation quite a bit in many parishes.

Until then: earplugs. They work for me.

MarysLittleFlower

At the parish i go to during the 'school year', my priest did comment on the noise level before a funeral (very gently) and later signs were put in the church :) its a very traditional parish though...

He is Risen!

Before I started attending the FSSP mass, this was an issue for me, too.  I was tempted to wear a pair of those big construction worker ear muffs but thankfully  the noisy church also had a sealed off cry room chapel where you could still see the sanctuary through a big glass window.  My strategy was to wait until it cleared out (usually that was pretty fast after mass) and I go in and shut the door behind me.  If your church has an adoration chapel, that might also be a good option.

My confessor agreed to do an infant baptism for a family that weren't regulars at the parish. It took place at the beginning of the Liturgy, and the church was packed on one side with all the relatives of that family. The baptism was beautiful etc. etc. but when it's over, you just go straight into the Liturgy, which I guess this family didn't know, because they immediately started celebrating and mingling right there in the church. Not even just a bit of noise as everyone cuddles the baby and congratulates the parents, eventually settling down, noooooo... these guys were intent on starting the party right then and there. I don't think anybody would have minded if it was just ignorance and they'd shut up when they noticed that the liturgics were continuing around them, but they blatantly just couldn't care less. It just carried on, and on, and on! I think I was singing that day so I couldn't go and throw the baptismal water at them, but one of the servers cleared them out after a while.

~non-judgment fail~

IgnatiusofLoyola

I'll pipe in with what at least some Episcopalians do. Often the organist will play as the priest, servers, and choir process out, and then continue playing as the congregation leaves. Especially if the organist is particularly good, some people in the congregation will sit quietly and listen to the rest of the organ music. This could also be a chance to kneel quietly and pray. 

Having the organist playing also discourages people from starting their conversations until after they leave the sanctuary. 

When I started attending Roman Catholic Mass regularly with my then-fiance, it was the first time I saw people regularly leaving Mass right after Communion. :idontknow:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Nihil Obstat

I'll pipe in with what at least some Episcopalians do. Often the organist will play as the priest, servers, and choir process out, and then continue playing as the congregation leaves. Especially if the organist is particularly good, some people in the congregation will sit quietly and listen to the rest of the organ music. This could also be a chance to kneel quietly and pray. 

Having the organist playing also discourages people from starting their conversations until after they leave the sanctuary. 

When I started attending Roman Catholic Mass regularly with my then-fiance, it was the first time I saw people regularly leaving Mass right after Communion. :idontknow:

Our organist often does that too. It is an invaluable asset to the community.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

puellapaschalis

In my experience, the organ playing after Mass just encourages people to talk louder so that they can hear themselves and the conversation over the racket of that tiresome organ.

I don't know how to train people to do it, but in any traditional parish I've been in, after Mass has ended, and the priest processes out, as soon as he is out of the church the majority of the congregation just kneels and prays. Those who are visiting either quickly leave or catch on that they should be quiet. It also helps though if someone is trying to talk to you after mass to sort of usher them out: "let's continue talking in the reception area/outside".  But how to get this started is a mystery. I once had a priest who gave a homily about quiet after mass and the congregation literally stampeded out. The next week they were back to their chatty selves. I find the worst offenders are the greeters and ushers. They typically stand the door and talk loudly among themselves and it echoes through the whole church. 

Edited by truthfinder