An Old School Catholic Message Board

eucharistic miracle documentation

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

does anyone know where there are scientific papers on eucharistic miracles? i remember seeing one once but don't know where. it would be helpful in fighting against the 'no miracles exist' crowd, and general anti eucharist arguments. 

There is and should be no scientific explanation on this 'Eucharistic miracles'. Otherwise, Thomas Aquinas must be wrong in summa theologica. I am not saying he is correct. I am simply saying 'Eucharistic miracle' is a hoax.   

I am not actually too convinced about these miracles either. Are there any specific Eucharistic miracles that Catholics are bound to believe (on pain of sin, if you will)?

dairygirl4u2c

here is a web article relating the doctor who performed an exam on the miracle at lanciano

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/physician-tells-of-eucharistic-miracle-of-lanciano

and I haven't checked the link but this wiki article has a couple scientific articles linked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Lanciano#cite_note-fullreport-2

I still stand by my past point that they should do a DNA test on these phenomenon. and then analyze where in time and place the species came from.

MarysLittleFlower

I have read about Lanciano but I don't have links to the studies. Here are some findings http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

However sometimes if a person has decided miracles "can't" be then no evidence would convince them until they open their mind to the possibility. Our faith is not contrary to reason but we still have free will and grace. We can't "convince" - only God can. 

There is and should be no scientific explanation on this 'Eucharistic miracles'. Otherwise, Thomas Aquinas must be wrong in summa theologica. I am not saying he is correct. I am simply saying 'Eucharistic miracle' is a hoax.   

i don't think it's a hoax. Why do you say that about St Thomas? It still takes faith. The miracles are like an encouragement and they bring glory to God. 

Faith and trust bring Him glory of course. But miracles are not a hoax. Jesus did miracles when He lived on earth and He still does, because He is God. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I am not actually too convinced about these miracles either. Are there any specific Eucharistic miracles that Catholics are bound to believe (on pain of sin, if you will)?

I don't think so. WHen it comes to miracle, it's like apparition : we are not bound to believe. You can be a catholic, and not believe about Lourdes. But maybe I'm wrong. 

MarysLittleFlower

The Church doesn't bind us to believe in private revelation etc but if i remember, St Louis De Montfort said its a simplicity of soul to believe all the Church has accepted :)

In any case he praised it

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think it's a hoax. Why do you say that about St Thomas? It still takes faith. The miracles are like an encouragement and they bring glory to God. 

I quoted Thomas Aquinas since he said in Summa Theologica, 3rd Part, Question 75 (Article 1. Whether the body of Christ be in this sacrament in very truth, or merely as in a figure or sign? ) the following:

The presence of Christ's true body and blood in this sacrament cannot be detected by sense, nor understanding, but by faith alone, which rests upon Divine authority. Hence, on Luke 22:19: "This is My body which shall be delivered up for you," Cyril says: "Doubt not whether this be true; but take rather the Saviour's words withfaith; for since He is the Truth, He lieth not."

Thus, if there is a scientific documentation regarding this miraculous ‘transubstantiation’ then, Thomas Aquinas must be wrong because he said ‘The presence of Christ's true body and blood in this sacrament cannot be detected by sense, nor understanding, but by faith alone.... '

Edited by reyb

MarysLittleFlower

I don't think it contradicts. It public revelation we believe without seeing. Like usually that is how the Sacrament works. But there can be exceptions if God chooses - He is not bound by this rule it is rather the ordinary method. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

St thomas aquinas wasnt infallible, though a great example of faith, hope and love. Perhaps the greatest example or the least or bang smack in the middle, i am not to judge. Nihil obstat perhaps, infallible no.

But i am also of the school that christ wouldnt submit to scientific scrutiny and if the host and blood are anywhere but in the stomach of the communicat than he actually leaves the host, but than does the church teach if a host falls on the floor jesus is still present in the host or does he leave, i dont think jesus stays in the host when satanists that run dark masses and steal the host and perform blasphemies upon it. But also i kind of do understand and believe that if Jesus wanted to stay present in the host for scientific scrutiny he could and if he doesn't i dont know why not and nore can i say he should. :)

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I don't think so. WHen it comes to miracle, it's like apparition : we are not bound to believe. You can be a catholic, and not believe about Lourdes. But maybe I'm wrong. 

I think you are correct and we are only bound to believe ex cathedra and what comes from a universal magesterium, though not all infallible things are found only in these two but some are found elsewhere in the annals of holy mother church, but also there are weeds amongst the weed so be wise, if there werent than it wouldnt be jesus kingdom, it says so in holy scripture that in the kingdom there will be weeds amongst the wheat, just be wise as a snake and peaceful as a dove, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened, pray about all things and think about them and whether they directly contradict holy scripture, ex cathedra or anything coming from the holy magesterium, and even if it doesnt contradict because there the obvious ones it doesnt mean it is infallible.

Hope that helps.

GodblesS.

HEre come tha ANGELZ! 

Just dont pull out the weeds, just believe you found a weed and just dont believe it, but dont force anyone else to not believe it. Jesus also warns us not to pull the weeds out, and to wait till harvest time. The holy spirit will let us know when it is harvest time. Just give people the same advice that i have given you.