An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canadian Federal Election

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

So I am not sure how many of you have heard, but there is going to be a Canadian federal election this fall. Should be an interesting one.
Anyway, the CCCB released a voting guide. Frankly I do not think it is very good at all, but I would appreciate hearing everyone else's opinions. Here is the direct link to a pdf file. I would post it here, but the formatting does not cut and paste well. It is only three pages, so I would really appreciate if you could take a look and share your thoughts.

Well I'm surprised they published anything at all (although I'm not sure why, as I believe they do every time elections come around).  I am glad to see that they had the line in there about well-formed consciences not being permitted to vote for evil - but they completely distort the magnitude of things by lumping categories - it's hard to tell whether abortion is on the same level as gambling (and capital punishment? really? it's Canada for pete's sake).  

I know three things about Canada:

1. It's big.

2. People are nice there.

3. Contrary to popular belief, they lock their doors.

So I dunno what your political parties are like, but if they're anything like ours in 'Murica, this document is not going to be helpful at all.

Nihil Obstat

1. It's big.

So I dunno what your political parties are like, but if they're anything like ours in 'Murica, this document is not going to be helpful at all.

Maybe not as polarized, but same basic idea. Except we have Conservatives in power right now. And at the moment we have three parties with influence.

1. It's big.

Well, you've got the big three political parties:

Liberal - headed by Justin Trudeau, son of a former/late Prime Minister, and does not want anyone in his party who is not staunchly pro-abortion.

New Democrat Party (NDP) - their last leader died, and is replaced by a not so charismatic one (Thomas Mulcair); left wing, pro-abortion, came out of the old farmer's cooperative parties from the prairies. 

Conservatives - Stephen Harper - basically been in control for over ten years. Not really conservative, and does not want to open the debate on any moral issues (but considering the supreme court just ruled that the laws against assisted suicide were unconstitutional - someone's going to have to deal with it).  Also keeps putting out legislation that could potentially restrict freedoms.

Then you've got the other two parties: The Green Party has become something more than an "other" in the past several years - I think they might actually have a seat in parliament (EDIT: Just checked - they actually have two seats).  If not - they actually let the leader in on the debates. We've also got the Bloc Quebecois which is really just a sovereignty party (with no representation outside of Quebec). There are Christian Heritage Party in several places, and then a host of other parties ranging from Communist, Libertarians and the Pirate Party (actually they want to loosen copyright laws and the such).  

So you get in an odd scrape because sometimes the local member of parliament is actually prolife but their party is not - then you have to start the juggle between evils. 

Edited by truthfinder

What I mean is:

1. Our politicians never clearly state their position on anything. They spout a bunch of vague platitudes about freedom and equality and justice and no one knows what it actually means in practice. In such a situation, a document telling people to find out where politicians stand on issues X, Y, and Z is pointless, because it's hard as hell to find out where anyone stands on anything.

2. The best way to find out where a politician has stood on things is from his voting record, if he's an incumbent. But most people don't know how to find these, and even if you do find them, 98% of our politicians have no principles of their own. They can be bought and sold by different special interests tomorrow. So there's no guarantee they'll continue to vote the way they once did. Again, in such a situation, a document telling people to find out where politicians stand on issues X, Y, and Z is useless, because without principled politicians, you never know what you're voting for until after you've already voted.

This is why we should all vote for Ron Paul. Even in Canada. :P 

Edited by Gabriela

What I mean is:

1. Our politicians never clearly state their position on anything. They spout a bunch of vague platitudes about freedom and equality and justice and no one knows what it actually means in practice. In such a situation, a document telling people to find out where politicians stand on issues X, Y, and Z is pointless, because it's hard as hell to find out where anyone stands on anything.

This is why we should all vote for Ron Paul. Even in Canada. :P 

Okay, I get what you're saying now. I'm not sure about US politics, but in Canada, all parties (at least the major ones) will publish a platform.  Since all candidates are expected to follow it - it's a pretty good guide as to what you're going to get (at least immediately after the election).  And since some votes in the Parliament are dictated by the party leader (and enforced by the whip), knowing the platform is a good step.  At the same time, with the free votes, all you've got is voting record in the past, and sometimes that's non-existent.  

Nihil Obstat

My understanding is that MPs are expected to stick to the instructed party line more so than American congressmen and senators are. The Parliamentary whips have more power I think, maybe relating to more involvement with the British political tradition. And especially in the Conservative party under Harper, I think he keeps a pretty tight ship.

My understanding is that MPs are expected to stick to the instructed party line more so than American congressmen and senators are. The Parliamentary whips have more power I think, maybe relating to more involvement with the British political tradition. And especially in the Conservative party under Harper, I think he keeps a pretty tight ship.

There was just a bill being debated/voted on about allowing MPs more freedom in having a free vote when it comes to conscience topics (which is essential considering the aforementioned euthanasia debate). 

Nihil Obstat

There was just a bill being debated/voted on about allowing MPs more freedom in having a free vote when it comes to conscience topics (which is essential considering the aforementioned euthanasia debate). 

Kind of ironic to debate a bill about allowing MPs more freedom to express opinions. :hehe:

Kind of ironic to debate a bill about allowing MPs more freedom to express opinions. :hehe:

More like a sad description of our country.

puellapaschalis

I...kind of want to give that guy my hypothetical Canadian vote...I think I do at least...or maybe I'm just racially prejudiced because my heart didn't break when he slew that dragon.