An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Shawshank Redemption

FilmGuy127

Hey i think it would be great if we expanded the discussions on this page to include more than just the passion and a possible teresa film so here ya go...

Catholic themes in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION!
are they there?
what are they?
what do you think about them?
how do you think they influenced your view of the film as a whole?
are their anticatholic themes?
is this also not like one of the top 5 greatest movies ever made?!
you know... discuss...

homeschoolmom

I love The Shawshank Redemption... It's probably in my top ten favorite films (although I would probably tend to forget about it)... I haven't seen it in awhile, (ie since converting) so I would love to discuss it from a Catholic perspective...

[quote name='FilmGuy127' date='Jun 14 2004, 09:57 PM'] Catholic themes in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION!
are they there?
what are they?
what do you think about them?
how do you think they influenced your view of the film as a whole?
are their anticatholic themes?
[/quote]
This is a great movie! I do think that there are some Catholic themes present in this movie. For example, I'd say the most prevalent theme is redemption (which isn't too hard to guess, given the title of the flick. ;) ) Redemption's a very common Christian theme. The main character also displays fortitude in making the best of the situation and in carefully planning his escape. It takes a lot of strength to stay calm and patient after being falsely accused. He also befriends a number of prisoners and tries to improve the quality of their lives. I like the fact that this is a Christian movie. Because of the main character, the movie is pretty inspirational.

(I can't think of any anti-Catholicism in this movie off the top of my head.)

God bless,

Jennifer

ilovechrist

awesome movie....
very Christian indeed. i liked how the main character showed patience and forgiveness... very cool indeed

[quote]i liked how the main character showed patience and forgiveness... very cool indeed [/quote]

yes very much indeed. I also love the fact that he saves his friend.

Jake Huether

[quote name='BeenaBobba' date='Jun 15 2004, 12:18 AM'] This is a great movie! I do think that there are some Catholic themes present in this movie. For example, I'd say the most prevalent theme is redemption (which isn't too hard to guess, given the title of the flick. ;) ) Redemption's a very common Christian theme. The main character also displays fortitude in making the best of the situation and in carefully planning his escape. It takes a lot of strength to stay calm and patient after being falsely accused. He also befriends a number of prisoners and tries to improve the quality of their lives. I like the fact that this is a Christian movie. Because of the main character, the movie is pretty inspirational.

(I can't think of any anti-Catholicism in this movie off the top of my head.)

God bless,

Jennifer [/quote]
Asside from Andy Dufresne admitting to having sex outside of marriage, indeed, this was a very very cool movie.

I also liked how Andy Dufresne "offered" his prison stay for all his other wrongs. He was talking to Red, and Red says something like, "20 years is an aweful long time". And Andy says in respons something like, "I've paid for anything I might have done and then some".

I really liked the movie. Great acting. Very nice.

This movie was excellent (and it's taken from a story written by Stepehn King called Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption).

Not only do we see great things from Andy, but also from Red. His thinking changed, his attitude about being able to live on the outside changed. He learned that it was possible. All that time with Andy showed him that...he learned that he wasn't alone...Andy would always be with him (not necessarily physically). Reminds me of the Footprints poem.

this is one of the few movies from a Stephen King book that was actually good. and lest you think i'm bashing, i LOVE Stephen King

wowi never knew this was from steven king... thats amazing... it kinda explians some things... but i would never have guessed it from him... maybe cause its not scary enough..

You'd be surprised...not all of Stephen King books, novellas, or short stories are meant to be scary.

This one will probably blow your mind too...the movie Stand by Me with River Phoenix and Jerry O'Connell as kids was taken from a Stephen King story called The Body.

Stephen King has quite a few things that would not be considered horror. You should check him out.

[quote name='FilmGuy127' date='Jun 22 2004, 08:43 PM'] wowi never knew this was from steven king... thats amazing... it kinda explians some things... but i would never have guessed it from him... maybe cause its not scary enough.. [/quote]
You know, it's funny because a lot of people are surpised to know that Stephen King writes non-horror books. Ever see the movie [i]Stand By Me[/i] (which is a great movie, by the way)? It's based on a Stephen King novella. Actually, it is, along with [i]Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption[/i], part of one book consisting of four novellas.

God bless,

Jen

P.S. [i]The Green Mile[/i] is also based on a Stephen King book. Well, wasn't it a series of books?

WOW WOW WOW OH WOW.... consider me blown away... that is another great movie... now i knew that just about every steven king book ever turned into a movie... um minus dreamcatcher... ended up as a great movie... but i had no idea! whats the name of that book i gotta pick it up.

[quote name='FilmGuy127' date='Jun 23 2004, 12:11 AM'] WOW WOW WOW OH WOW.... consider me blown away... that is another great movie... now i knew that just about every steven king book ever turned into a movie... um minus dreamcatcher... ended up as a great movie... but i had no idea! whats the name of that book i gotta pick it up. [/quote]
You mean the book with [i]Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption[/i] and [i]The Body[/i] ([i]Stand By Me[/i] is based on this novella)? I believe the book is called [u]Different Seasons[/u], as it's a collection of four novellas. [i]Apt Pupil[/i] is also one of the novellas, but I have to warn you that it's a really sick and twisted story. There's a cool story in there, I believe, called [i]The Breathing Method[/i] (or something along those lines), and I remember thinking it was cool. It's been a while since I've read it, so I can't really say; but, [i]Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption[/i] and [i]The Body[/i] are great stories.

God bless,

Jen

first- I LOVE THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION!!!!!!!!
next i always thought stephen king only wrote crazy phyco horrors like the storm of the century- which is good but will scare you for a while after it :(