An Old School Catholic Message Board

profession liturgy

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Hi, I was wondering if there's any place online where you can read the ceremony for entering the novitiate or final profession, for any community especially Carmelite or Benedictine. Thanks!

Carmelite solemn vows

sorry it might not be what youre asking for with just the text but oh well :nun:

Edited by vee

This is a great video - thank you so much for sharing!!!  As for bows, really, each community has their own traditions and customs. This video is really worth watching, though,  because for people interested in enclosed/monastic/contemplative life, these Carmelites pull back the curtains so the congregation can see the whole community. Also, very important to note that when making vows, they are made to the Community, typically accepted by the Prioress, Abbess, etc., and not the Bishop. This video shows that well. Very well done and very inspirational! Thank you again for directing us to this beautiful video!

Rose

sr.christinaosf

I wanted to post a slideshow from my novitiate reception; it brings back some neat memories.  It's too big, though to upload here.  

Sr. Christina, maybe you could upload it to a website (maybe your community's) or to Youtube and post a link here? Just a thought....

Many things depend on the customs of the community (although in general, there is always a part where the person is asked about their intentions, if they have come here by free will etc, the litany of the saints being prayed for/with them and then the vowmaking.) Sometimes vows are made within the context of the mass, sometimes only with the community present in the chapter room.

This is a video i really enjoyed from the monastic community of jerusalem:

(my french is far from perfect, but i will try to translate it  -questionmarks where i'm not sure if the translation is correct)

"dear sister Marlene, what a grace is it to go into the house of the Lord (?) today, on this day of pentecoste, when the Lord renews the gift of His Holy Spirit. Today, on this new pentecoste, the Lord proposes to each and everyone of us. The Lord wants to kindle our hearts by the fire of His Love. That we rejoice! and He enlightens our souls (?)."

(song: " As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. alleluia (gal 3:27)

first reading is from Acts (the pentecoste story)       *musical intermezzo and gospel acclamation*    reading from the gospel of John (when someone loves Me, he will keep my commandmends, and my Father and I will live in him ?)

Sr General "For the perpetual profession, i call forward Sr Marlene"

Sr Marlene: "Here I am"

Sr General "Dear sister, what do you ask of the Lord and his church, gathered here?"

Sr Marlene: I ask the mercy/grace of God to be received for my perpetual profession"

* veni creator spiritu is sung*

Sr General: The Holy Spirit is a gift from the Lord to the Church, like a gift from the bridegroom to his bride. May He who came to the virgin Mary and the apostles, come and embrace the heart of our dear sister with the power of Gods love, and equip her for all her days to live her consecration, to be a witness of Christ and His coming kingdom.

"Dear sister, it is not your own making/idea to make this great offering of yourself today - the Lord himself enspires you to do this. ??????? ( a couple of sentences i don't understand, but the priest talks about her becoming a witness of Gods absolute love, a messenger of his joy, a maker of peace, as an answer to the needs of the church today.)

Sr Marlene: With the strength of the Holy Spirit, and trusting in the intercession of our lady - yes, i want this.

Have you come here of your own free will? (the french here is beautiful: have you come in the presence of god with a free spirit)

Sr Marlene: Yes, father.

Come in peace and joy in the house of the Lord!

*the litany of the saints is prayed as she kneels before the altar*

Sr Marlene: Lord Jesus, i want to renounce myself to attach myself completely to you. You are the pearl of great price and my only hope during my days here on earth. For all the days that i will live, you are my God, my redeemer. And i want to live for my whole life the grace of my baptism. Within the holy church of God, with a free heart, and with a lot of joy, i give myself with all my heart to this family of jerusalem, and i make my profession, to follow You and to do nothing without You (?), Lord Jesus. Therefore I vow forever, to live in chastity, poverty and obedience, in constant prayer and conversion of life, renewal of the heart, untill You come again. In the communion of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, to Jesus: chaste, poor and obedient, who died for love, and has risen in glory, I, sr Marlene, promise obedience to you, Sr General, according to our constitutions, and to all who will follow in your office (?).

Sr: And i, Sr General, in the name of the community of the sisters of jerusalem, promise to you, dear sister, to be confident that the Holy Spirit is working in you, and that our Lord Jesus Christ will keep you in joy and the eternal life.

* the magnificat is sung, with a reading that we are children and therefore heirs of God*

"That the grace of God may be with Sr Marlene, who today has been consecrated. (some words i didn't get, but he links her to bible persons who said: Here I am Lord, to do your will, and like the virgin mary said: See, i am the servant of the Lord, let happen to me according to His word, (finishes prayer)

Sr general: That the Lord may accompany you, sr marlene, with the vows that you have made today to Him in our family of jerusalem, and that He may give you that you will persevere faithfully. Amen"

* continuing the eucharist*

The brothers and sisters rejoice and welcome you like a gift from God which enriches our church, our community, our family. We proclaim together, will our whole lives, that the Lord has done great things for us (link to the magnificat)

Not seen in the video above as it really depends on the community, sometimes a sister who makes her final profession is given a ring and/or different color veil, and a profession cross.

sr.christinaosf

Sorry, it's not just from the liturgy but has some pics of me as a postulant as well.  It was fun for me to see those again.  My postulant directress made this video for me just after I was received as a novice.  

Sr. Christina, are you the youngest one in your particular house?  I watched your video and didn't notice anyone else your age.  If so, given the initial option to select the order with which you wanted to become affiliated, what made you select an order where you are in such a different life passage from the other sisters?