An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Have Exciting News

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

A long-awaited dream of mine has come true today. 

After a week of hurriedly organizing our library of around 500 books with a panicked student before he left for Franciscan, upon seeing the horrendous disarray it remains in still, and how much I have enjoyed doing it, I am now the unofficial official librarian by personal request. 

Logging in books, organizing the books, and doing so leisurely so as to read a bit of the ones that interest me, has both excited the nerd in me and stimulated the organizational German in me. 

The job is not going to be easy. It's organized alphabetically by categories, but the categories are not in proper order. Further, many books are not in their proper category, the current categorical system is far too simplistic and vague, and the books are not alphabetical by author. This means that in any given category you'll find A's next to Z's, which is incredibly inefficient and is a shame to any proper German to be associated with.

Worse yet, today we learned that despite having spent a week of our lives logging the books into the new system, the books logged into the old system were not logged, thus meaning I must now log them.

Everyone else absolutely hates the work and wishes to do anything else, but I have not had this much fun since coming here, so I've made the agreement that I will gladly do it if they stay out of my way and stop ruining the atmosphere with their negative organizational-hating deficiencies.   

I am going to learn the Dewey Decimal System, log in all of the un-logged books, and set up a system where no one is to dare take a book out without letting me know, signing a paper acknowledging that they took it, and give all the information concerning the book including when it will be returned. The lack of such a system is what made the library a mess in the first place, as people felt the liberty to simply take a book for ridiculous amounts of time and then throw it wherever they felt like on the shelf when they were done. 

I haven't been this excited since Germany won the World Cup.

people felt the liberty to simply take a book for ridiculous amounts of time and then throw it wherever they felt like on the shelf when they were done. 

Something tells me that breaking this system in a Catholic environment is going to be harder than you think.

PhuturePriest

Lucky. I wish I could be a librarian. How does one even become a librarian.

One gets a five year degree in library sciences.

I haven't been this excited since Germany won the World Cup.

my mom was the parochial school and parish librarian for a few decades.   She converted them into a computer system from an old paper ledger in the 70's.    PM me if you may want to consult wit a real librarian.  I'll talk with her and forward email info if she is willing. 

PhuturePriest

my mom was the parochial school and parish librarian for a few decades.   She converted them into a computer system from an old paper ledger in the 70's.    PM me if you may want to consult wit a real librarian.  I'll talk with her and forward email info if she is willing. 

Thanks for the offer! Right now we have a pretty good computer logging system set up, but if I run into major issues I'll consider a different one.

lol. Figures.

putz.  

It depends upon where and what type of library you work at it run.   They don't just file books. In a school they usually have a teaching degree along with childhood development training.  In a University or high school setting, they're also trained to for research assistance.   Though there are worker bees to tote and shelve books at minimum wage, but that is morally wrong.  

PhuturePriest

People have already begun taking out stacks of books and throwing them wherever they want.

I have sent a huge mass email telling people I am now in charge and how the library will operate now. Admittedly, I do not have high hopes that they will comply, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nihil Obstat

People have already begun taking out stacks of books and throwing them wherever they want.

I have sent a huge mass email telling people I am now in charge and how the library will operate now. Admittedly, I do not have high hopes that they will comply, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Make sure not to forget generous use of threats and violence.