An Old School Catholic Message Board

catholic charities question/assisted living

superblue

Does anyone know if Catholic Charities only provides assistance to the extremely poor, women and children and refugees, and disaster victims ?

are they designed to help the average low income catholic or any person really, who needs help financially with medical care issues assisted living etc?

as to assisted living 

what is a good way to search for catholic run facilities that offer financial assistance ?

sr.christinaosf

We run an assisted living- type facility in Grand Forks, North Dakota.  Actually, the technical term used here is "basic care."  

Our website is: www.stannesguesthome.org.  We have both low-rent housing apartments (subsidized by the federal government HUD program) and the basic care unit for people needing more care.  

What geographic location are you looking for?  

You could do a google search for "catholic assisted living ________" (fill in your city)

sr.christinaosf

I should add the majority of the people in the basic care unit have their costs paid by the government, in one way or another.  

When I did the final blow to my back and couldn't move for 7 weeks, I asked CC for help. I was in the process of moving and the place I was to move to wasn't accessible. They gave me no help. I ended up in a by the hour, prostitute hotel paid for by the government until I was able to move enough to get in and out of a wheelchair so I could find some place to live. 

No Catholic Charities isn't for the indigent only, but keep in mind their ability to help is limited by their resources. So even the extremely poor can get turned away. Most of the Catholic flavored residential medical programs heavily rely on Medicaid or SS Disability. So if you are looking for financial assistance you may need to qualify for one of those programs. 

When I did the final blow to my back and couldn't move for 7 weeks, I asked CC for help. I was in the process of moving and the place I was to move to wasn't accessible. They gave me no help. I ended up in a by the hour, prostitute hotel paid for by the government until I was able to move enough to get in and out of a wheelchair so I could find some place to live. 

sorry to hear that Catherine, i can imagine the frustration that you must have gone through at that time. and ty everyone for the input thus far.

to spin off my own thread now,

if when we need assistance from C.C, and for what ever reason they can not help,  is it up to us then to ask our local parish for help ?

Do we go up to our pastor explain our problem and then ask if we can get a second collection up for so an so who needs help with medical, what ever ... ?

I have never seen it done, but it does make me wonder if it is even appropriate to even ask...  

sorry to hear that Catherine, i can imagine the frustration that you must have gone through at that time. and ty everyone for the input thus far.

to spin off my own thread now,

if when we need assistance from C.C, and for what ever reason they can not help,  is it up to us then to ask our local parish for help ?

Do we go up to our pastor explain our problem and then ask if we can get a second collection up for so an so who needs help with medical, what ever ... ?

I have never seen it done, but it does make me wonder if it is even appropriate to even ask...  

Interesting question. I don't see what is wrong with asking your parish for help. It is part of the body of Christ . . .

update for ya catherine, they actually emailed me back the next explaining they are unable to help, but did at the least give me some leads with phone numbers of other agencies.

Luckily the issue at hand is being handled by my older sister , God Bless her.