An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communities with Pre Aspirancy Programs

DominicanHeart

DominicanHeart

This is a completely hypothetical question but I'm still trying to figure some stuff out. I don't know if I'm going to be in school longer than I thought. Are there communities that would accept me into some kind of program that I would be able to be accepted and ready to enter as soon as I can and am free to do so? I think all communities probably have something like this but I'm curious. I don't know if this even makes sense.

TheresaThoma

I know some communities may accept you knowing that it may be a bit before you can enter (school, loans, leases etc). I think it is mostly done on a case by case basis though.

I think Spem is kinda doing what you may be talking about (she is finishing up her degree while still living with her Community which is kinda unusual). I don't really know the specifics so you would have to ask her about that.

I definitely know the feeling of wanting to enter ASAP but I think often it can be better to slow down and focus on what you are called to right now. I was thinking about this myself. I have been wanting to enter as soon as my loans are paid off which would be next September, thanks be to God. However I am now getting involved in a wonderful ministry as my new job and it is making me discern a bit more deeply. I am finding that I am wanting less to rush into religious life and more to allow God to tell me when it is time. I think that the reason that I was feeling the desire to enter ASAP was that I knew deep down I was not where I am called to be and I feel a call to religious life. So logically if I am not where I am called to be and I think I have a call to religious life it seems like a straight line. However God doesn't always work in straight human logical lines. He may have a few stops along the way. Sorry if that was really long and not really what you were asking for but it has been rattling around in my head for the past day or so and I have been wanting to share it.

I think that the Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in Alahambra California have some sort of pre postuancy program. A friend of mine just entered there abd will be working while finishing to pay off her student loans.

Edited by SophiaMaria

The Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul (pre-postulancy, 1 year), the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (3 month pre-postulancy), the Religious Sisters of Mercy (up to 1 year pre-postulancy).  

I think pre-postulancy serves different purposes in various communities.  Most of them are to ensure that you do indeed want to join the community and are a time for continued discernment.  With the RSM, it's for women who may need a transitional year before applying because of some kind of financial or personal situation.  I know of one sister who grew up vegetarian and needed a year to reintroduce meat into her diet before she could enter, it can also be for women right out of high school who have never lived on their own before and need a year of maturing before postulancy.  

I definitely know the feeling of wanting to enter ASAP but I think often it can be better to slow down and focus on what you are called to right now. I was thinking about this myself. I have been wanting to enter as soon as my loans are paid off which would be next September, thanks be to God. However I am now getting involved in a wonderful ministry as my new job and it is making me discern a bit more deeply. I am finding that I am wanting less to rush into religious life and more to allow God to tell me when it is time. I think that the reason that I was feeling the desire to enter ASAP was that I knew deep down I was not where I am called to be and I feel a call to religious life. So logically if I am not where I am called to be and I think I have a call to religious life it seems like a straight line. However God doesn't always work in straight human logical lines. He may have a few stops along the way. Sorry if that was really long and not really what you were asking for but it has been rattling around in my head for the past day or so and I have been wanting to share it.

I'm really glad you said this—and you said it well—because I experienced the exact same thing and I think it's important for people to recognize that if they're not happy with where they are in their life right now, it is incredibly difficult to discern well. How can you know if you're just running away from what you're "stuck in" now, or whether you really have a positive call to go elsewhere? Perhaps it can be done, but I think it's extraordinary. For most of us, we need to find peace with our current state in life to be able to discern properly.

A friend of mine just entered there abd will be working while finishing to pay off her student loans.

For a second I thought you were saying your friend entered when she was "all but dissertation" (a PhD student who's finished all her coursework and taken her preliminary exams and now has only to write her dissertation to graduate). Oops!

:hehe2:

littlesister

The Little Sisters of the Poor don't have an "official" pre-entrance program, but there are a number of possibilities that can be worked out.  For those who live close, volunteering is always available.   Some students have lived with us while finishing college, praying with the community and joining in ministry as they can.   Others have been live-in employees while working off student loans.  Anyone seriously considering entering always does a couple of live-in's in different places before making a final decision.

For those considering any form of religious life, there is a "Spring into Service" program open to college students.  It consists of short term experiences over school breaks or during the summer,  or longer summer service placements that offer the possibility  of paid employment. 

sr.christinaosf

Our community has a rather informal "affiliate" program prior to postulancy.  I think there can be flexibility and variations for individuals.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! TT is right, at the moment I am in a situation similar to what you describe, and have been for almost a year.

When I was accepted as an aspirant, I had the option to live at the convent or stay at home with my family (and come every so often for prayers, etc.). I chose to live at the convent (which has been beyond helpful) and participate in most things the Sisters do, but am not yet a member of the Congregation (I am an aspirant/affiliate, and formal entry begins with postulancy). I am still able to study (and am studying at the moment). I am able to work, and I see my family around once a month. In normal circumstances, because I am not a member of the Congregation I would pay a monthly amount to the Sisters for board, but as I still have a student loan my Sisters have offered me the option of putting the money I would be giving to them towards that. If you want more specific info, just PM me.

This past year has been such an incredible experience. At the beginning I wanted it to go so quickly - I was so excited and eager. I still am, but in a different way. I have learned so much about myself, I have matured and grown, and I feel myself opening more and more to God. I have had the great opportunity to get to know my Sisters, to observe and to meet them where they are. Waiting, and having this time of deeper discernment, has been a true blessing from God.