An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Going to Tejas

Era Might

What should I know? I think I'm gonna go to Austin, but never been to Texas period and can go anywhere, preferably where there are some Mexicans and/or cacti. I'm driving today from New Orleans.

Edited by Era Might

franciscanheart

Go to Austin. Grab breakfast tomorrow at Kerby Lane. Go see the capitol. I have no other suggestions if you're not coming to Dallas.

Go to Austin. Grab breakfast tomorrow at Kerby Lane. Go see the capitol. I have no other suggestions if you're not coming to Dallas.

Are there Mexicans in Dallas?

franciscanheart

Are there Mexicans in Dallas?

Loads. And we have some beaver dam good "street" tacos. And dUSt and I are both here. And there's good beer.

Loads. And we have some beaver dam good "street" tacos. And dUSt and I are both here. And there's good beer.

I'll see, I might change cities after, but I only chose Austin cuz I hear there's a lot of young companies so I'm hoping to latch on to some work, but the hipster rep scares me...

franciscanheart

I'll see, I might change cities after, but I only chose Austin cuz I hear there's a lot of young companies so I'm hoping to latch on to some work, but the hipster rep scares me...

There are tons of hipsters. But there are tons of normal people too. And business people and young conservatives and a crapton of young, mouthy liberals. Just know Austin is weird and we like it that way.

Whatever you do, no matter what, NEVER get in a car that franciscanheart is driving, and NEVER, EVER, under ANY circumstances, allow her to give you a pump on her bike.

franciscanheart

Whatever you do, no matter what, NEVER get in a car that franciscanheart is driving, and NEVER, EVER, under ANY circumstances, allow her to give you a pump on her bike.

You do know you've let your daughter ride with me in the car several times since that incident (TEN YEARS AGO), right?

Between San Anton and Austin, it really is a toss-up. They're the two best big cities in Texas. Houston is ugly for the most part, but the art, museums, and food are quite good.

Dallas ain't Texas.

franciscanheart

San Antone is not that much of a sight-seeing adventure. You've seen the River Walk once, you've seen it a million times. The Alamo is great, but only if you're really into Texas history, I think. Austin has a couple places I like to eat, but nothing I can't find in abundance in Dallas, I don't think.

Houston is gross. I hate Houston.

Dallas is fantastic. Art, museums, parks, food, people. You just can't go wrong here.

Unless you want to ride your bike in the road. Then, don't come to Dallas. People will honk at you and curse. And maybe make you fall. And when they see you lying in the road, bleeding, they'll likely pull over and roll down their window to inquire, "Are you okay?" Like, obviously you're screaming in pain and bleeding everywhere but NO TOTALLY FINE THANKS.

At least they ask? This IS the South.

The Houston Museum of Fine Arts is MFAH. You get a sticker that says "MFAH" on it. Way better than anything in Dallas. Plus all the small art galleries. And it's close to the ocean. It has a port. It isn't landlocked. Houston has The Hobbit Cafe, and Torchy's Tacos. Plus a zoo that isn't full of sullen men dressed up as animals (that's what they have in Dallas. One year, a guy actually died in the Panda suit and they didn't find out until he didn't come to pick up his check. That's because Dallas smells like dead people. The whole place). It actually had to attach itself to Fort Worth, like a tumor, to get any Texas cred at all. Fort Worth hasn't become bitter about this at all, weirdly.

In Houston, there was this thing called Critical Mass, which was a bunch of bikers who want to run red lights and screw up traffic, but they were tolerated because Houstonians know that lunatics are important. Plus bikers can get pretty nice bums, and everyone likes those. When a biker is hurt in Houston, care is not at all far away. All the sane people who drive vehicles will pull over and check on the biker, using small words. And they will not make fun of the biker's helmet. Which is pretty nice. And bikers in Houston don't have high blood pressure due to a constant slight hypovolemia because of the mosquitos. Now there's a benefit you won't find everywhere.

Houston also has the Woodlands, which has a waterway like San Anton, but without the dead bodies floating in it.

Well I made it. Found the gym this morning, now have no idea where to start learning a city I've never been to, guess I'll just drive around. Coming through Louisiana the speed limit was 70, sometimes 60...5 minutes over the Texas border I was cruising at 75. Houston had a good old school rap station to keep me awake while I drove, other than that it was dark so I couldn't really see Houston. Havent spotted any hipsters yet....

How are the cops in Texas? Are the aggressive for driving violations?

Where are you?

I hope you didn't stop in Houston, it is a terrible place. I have vowed to never go back.

How are the cops in Texas? Are the aggressive for driving violations?

You ask questions about Texas as if it isn't a country. The west TX cops will ticket you for any reason because they know you will never drive back to fight it in court. The east TX cops will kill you if you are not white. The south TX cops will take bribes, unless they are white, in which case they will check your citizenship. The Austin TX cops are like New Orleans cops--they're just in it for the girls. The north TX cops are fairly normal, unless you are black teenage girls having a pool party--then they could get a little rough. The best cops in TX are the Ft Worth horse cops.... because they are on freaking horses.