An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Going to Tejas

Era Might

Where are you?

I hope you didn't stop in Houston, it is a terrible place. I have vowed to never go back.

You ask questions about Texas as if it isn't a country. The west TX cops will ticket you for any reason because they know you will never drive back to fight it in court. The east TX cops will kill you if you are not white. The south TX cops will take bribes, unless they are white, in which case they will check your citizenship. The Austin TX cops are like New Orleans cops--they're just in it for the girls. The north TX cops are fairly normal, unless you are black teenage girls having a pool party--then they could get a little rough. The best cops in TX are the Ft Worth horse cops.... because they are on freaking horses.

No, didn't stop there just drove by. I'm in Austin...I like it. Very Mexican...which is not to say very Latin, because I know Miami very well and this is not Miami. In Miami there are a lot of Cubans but it's the capital of Latin America, there are a lot of Central and South Americans from various countries. You have to go south of Miami to really find the Mexican population, but here it's pure Mexican, very different vibe. Still getting my bearings, but drove downtown today, saw the Longhorns stadium, pretty big...the Capitol looks nice too. I can see myself sticking around here.

No, didn't stop there just drove by. I'm in Austin...I like it. Very Mexican...which is not to say very Latin, because I know Miami very well and this is not Miami. In Miami there are a lot of Cubans but it's the capital of Latin America, there are a lot of Central and South Americans from various countries. You have to go south of Miami to really find the Mexican population, but here it's pure Mexican, very different vibe. Still getting my bearings, but drove downtown today, saw the Longhorns stadium, pretty big...the Capitol looks nice too. I can see myself sticking around here.

If it is Mexicans you seek drive an hour south to San Antonio.

If it is Mexicans and a beach you seek, drive 3 hours south to Corpus Christi.

Edited by dUSt

Laudate_Dominum

How long will you be in Texas, Era? I'm heading out that way again in the near future. You should go harass Winchester if you happen to find yourself in Houston.

How long will you be in Texas, Era? I'm heading out that way again in the near future. You should go harass Winchester if you happen to find yourself in Houston.

Not sure, I guess here's as good as anywhere. Got a job washing dishes at a Mexican restaurant, so I think I've found my life's calling here in Texas. Let me know when you come through. I didn't know Winchester was in Houston.:mex:

Edited by Era Might

Not sure, I guess here's as good as anywhere. Got a job washing dishes at a Mexican restaurant, so I think I've found my life's calling here in Texas. Let me know when you come through. I didn't know Winchester was in Houston.:mex:

You can't beat free leftovers.

Laudate_Dominum

Fell deeds awake!

franciscanheart

The Houston Museum of Fine Arts is MFAH. You get a sticker that says "MFAH" on it. Way better than anything in Dallas. Plus all the small art galleries. And it's close to the ocean. It has a port. It isn't landlocked. Houston has The Hobbit Cafe, and Torchy's Tacos. Plus a zoo that isn't full of sullen men dressed up as animals (that's what they have in Dallas. One year, a guy actually died in the Panda suit and they didn't find out until he didn't come to pick up his check. That's because Dallas smells like dead people. The whole place). It actually had to attach itself to Fort Worth, like a tumor, to get any Texas cred at all. Fort Worth hasn't become bitter about this at all, weirdly.

In Houston, there was this thing called Critical Mass, which was a bunch of bikers who want to run red lights and screw up traffic, but they were tolerated because Houstonians know that lunatics are important. Plus bikers can get pretty nice bums, and everyone likes those. When a biker is hurt in Houston, care is not at all far away. All the sane people who drive vehicles will pull over and check on the biker, using small words. And they will not make fun of the biker's helmet. Which is pretty nice. And bikers in Houston don't have high blood pressure due to a constant slight hypovolemia because of the mosquitos. Now there's a benefit you won't find everywhere.

Houston also has the Woodlands, which has a waterway like San Anton, but without the dead bodies floating in it.

You make me want to throw my grits. We have Torchy's, dum dum. And who goes to the zoo? Fort Worth attached itself to US and it's not right next door; there are plenty of poo holes on the way over.

We had Critical Mass, too, silly. I can't say Dallas drivers are very kind to fallen cyclists, but whatever. There's more street cred in an accident where you had to inch your way to a telephone half a mile away.

The Woodlands is like Plano. Gross.

You make me want to throw my grits. We have Torchy's, dum dum. And who goes to the zoo? Fort Worth attached itself to US and it's not right next door; there are plenty of poo holes on the way over.

We had Critical Mass, too, silly. I can't say Dallas drivers are very kind to fallen cyclists, but whatever. There's more street cred in an accident where you had to inch your way to a telephone half a mile away.

The Woodlands is like Plano. Gross.

It's Dallas, so they are probably organic grits and made from quinoa instead of hominy.

Cool people go to the zoo.

In much the same way that Indiana Jones took Short Round under his wing, one could say Fort Worth attached itself. It has a rich history of being a cattle town, whereas Dallas is just what's left over from the set of that television show. They built the place just so they could have a skyline in the opening credits, and shipped down people from New York to live there as permanent extras.

All the bikes in Dallas's version were made from carbon fiber and piloted by Frenchmen still pissed about Lance Armstrong. It doesn't count.

The Woodlands isn't like Plano. Plano is an actual city, whereas the Woodlands is just a large shopping mall with people who couldn't afford to live in Kingwood residing there.

franciscanheart

It's Dallas, so they are probably organic grits and made from quinoa instead of hominy.

Cool people go to the zoo.

In much the same way that Indiana Jones took Short Round under his wing, one could say Fort Worth attached itself. It has a rich history of being a cattle town, whereas Dallas is just what's left over from the set of that television show. They built the place just so they could have a skyline in the opening credits, and shipped down people from New York to live there as permanent extras.

All the bikes in Dallas's version were made from carbon fiber and piloted by Frenchmen still pissed about Lance Armstrong. It doesn't count.

The Woodlands isn't like Plano. Plano is an actual city, whereas the Woodlands is just a large shopping mall with people who couldn't afford to live in Kingwood residing there.

You are completely delusional.

Love the environment here, the Colorado River alone is worth living here, right in the middle of the city and easy to get to and enjoy. I like the treeishness of Texas.