An Old School Catholic Message Board

I wish there was an Order that...

DominicanHeart

DominicanHeart

I am seriously discerning the Dominican Orders. But I've also been looking at the Orders that have the Latin Mass and they are so amazing. I really wish there was a Dominican Order that had the Latin Mass every day. That way I could have both. Does anyone have anything else they wish there was? Or does anyone know if there is one?

There is one but it is a member of the Society of Saint Pius X.(SSPX).We arent supposed to support the SSPX on Phatmass.

I am seriously discerning the Dominican Orders. But I've also been looking at the Orders that have the Latin Mass and they are so amazing. I really wish there was a Dominican Order that had the Latin Mass every day. That way I could have both. Does anyone have anything else they wish there was? Or does anyone know if there is one?

There is a Dominican group - they're not incorporated into the OPs officially yet, but they are Dominican in all other ways.  The Lockport Dominicans - Monastery of the Heart of Jesus.  According to wikipedia: DOMINICAN NUNS
Monastery of the Heart of Jesus
155 Church Street
Lockport, Louisiana 70374-2552

The only other Dominicans I know that have an EF mass are the Dominicans of the Holy Ghost which are in France.  Be mindful too that the Dominicans have their own form of the EF Mass that has some small differences from the 1962 Missale Romanum.  

DominicanHeart

There is a Dominican group - they're not incorporated into the OPs officially yet, but they are Dominican in all other ways.  The Lockport Dominicans - Monastery of the Heart of Jesus.  According to wikipedia: DOMINICAN NUNS
155 Church Street

The only other Dominicans I know that have an EF mass are the Dominicans of the Holy Ghost which are in France.  Be mindful too that the Dominicans have their own form of the EF Mass that has some small differences from the 1962 Missale Romanum.  

Well that's interesting. Something to think about. I'd like to at least contact the Lockport Dominicans and see if I hear from them.

Do you speak french ? Because we have here a community of dominican, who teach, and they have the TLMhttp://www.dominicaines-du-saint-esprit.fr/ I know they have some foreign sisters, so their doors are open :) 

oh I wish I could move to France!

155 Church Street

They are a very small but growing community and they say ALL their prayers in LATIN!

The Hours are done in the "Dominican Rite"

They wear the full traditional habit.

DominicanHeart

They are a very small but growing community and they say ALL their prayers in LATIN!

The Hours are done in the "Dominican Rite"

They wear the full traditional habit.

Ugh they sound amazing. I'd need to learn a lot more Latin but stil! It would be worth it!

Lockport has been "very small but growing" for over a decade now, and no they're not officially Dominican. How many have they retained? And why that number? 

You should look into the Dominican Nuns of Marbury - 100% Dominican Nuns who retain vocations - who often have the Dominican Rite and sing their office in Dominican chant.

Lockport has been "very small but growing" for over a decade now, and no they're not officially Dominican. How many have they retained? And why that number? 

You should look into the Dominican Nuns of Marbury - 100% Dominican Nuns who retain vocations - who often have the Dominican Rite and sing their office in Dominican chant.

I just checked the Religious Ministries website (which I believe is updated every year) and apparently their numbers have grown a little bit since they took down their website: 5 final professed, 1 junior, 1 novice, and 1 postulant.

Good for mentioning Marbury - they're unique in 'resurrecting' Dominican chant in their office, iirc. 

DominicanHeart

I don't know. As much as I'm all for the Latin Mass, my heart is for the Nashies and the DSMMEs.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I just checked the Religious Ministries website (which I believe is updated every year) and apparently their numbers have grown a little bit since they took down their website: 5 final professed, 1 junior, 1 novice, and 1 postulant.

Good for mentioning Marbury - they're unique in 'resurrecting' Dominican chant in their office, iirc. 

Can anyone confirm that about Lockport? It may be true. We haven't heard anything as they are not in any contact with the nuns or friars. Religious ministries isn't official and not every commmunity changes their information, etc. 

Marbury and Buffalo do use more Latin chant than most monasteries as their major hours are in Latin but they still do the Roman Office. We are members of the Order of Preachers and the Order decided to use the Roman Rite. Marbury is doing a rather interesting experiment using many Dominican texts and integrating them into the Office.

However, they are not unique or "resurrecting" Dominican chant into their Office. Most friars and nuns who use elements of chant use the Dominican texts and chant. We just do it and not necessarily make a point of saying it because we take it for granted.

For me it was difficult because I entered knowing many things by heart and I had to relearn them with the Dominican chant. Similar but just enough different to be quite a challenge!

According to the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux article on the Year of Consecrated Life (Feb. 2015) the Lockport Dominicans are still only the 2 sisters: Sr. Mary Elizabeth and Sr. Mary Imelda. There may be postulants and novices but they list only 2 professed. 

http://htenews.org/special-mass-at-cathedral-feb-2/ 

I think that more than the rite, you should find if you're called/attracted to a contemplative (cloistered) dominican life (i.e Lockport, etc...), or an apostolic dominican life (DSMME).