An Old School Catholic Message Board

online debates

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

A few days ago, I decided to leave the phorum and now I realized I kind of miss it :) It's funny in real life I typically stick with decisions I make. But I think I just have difficulty with debates and maybe instead of debating or leaving, there's a third option of just posting in a limited way without debates. I know some posters here seem to do that. I think I'll give that a try and just not over post :) but does anyone have any advice on how to...not get upset when debating? It's a real issue for me for some reason in real life too. I just hate debates. Maybe best to avoid them :)  I realized when I get into debates, a lot of my woundedness or things for my past come out. It's annoying. Any thoughts from debate veterans? lol :P I thought maybe there are others that feel similarly and can relate even lurkers.

Approach debates like you're the loving parent, stepping in to provide a rational voice among squabbling children. It might help you stay above the pettiness and realize that getting emotional over such matters is futile.

• A parent does not view their children as competition.
  • A parent doesn't have to "win" against their children.
  • A parent is only concerned with helping their children, even when their children are mean and combative.
  • A parent wants what's best for their children.
  • A parent does not try to make their children look foolish.
  • A parent loves their children.